Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-13, 10:58 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I just don't think that people realize the variety of workout DVD's that are available these days. In most people's minds' they think you're doing Richard Simmons.
I think even people who do use workout DVDs don't give Richard Simmons enough credit. He has helped lots of people lose weight (and lots of weight actually in some cases) over the years. I realize that his workouts may not be for everyone, but they're still good workouts.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 11:03 AM  
prettyinpink

Some videos feel as effective to me as live classes, and some more so.

I have never felt that any yoga DVD was comparable to the live classes I have been to. I don't know how one could follow a DVD effectively without attending good classes at some point.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 11:09 AM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
NOTHING works unless YOU work.
You should make this your signature line.

I blame The Biggest Loser. It's given people the idea that you have to punish yourself to lose weight.
Old 08-03-13, 11:09 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have taken a live class several times, and people were impressed at how quickly i caught on, even in the No-Cueing-Zumba classes! i don't mind working out with others - you don't really interact with people too much despite being in a group setting. you do get the benefit of being motivated by others around you, but motivation primarily comes from within.

the last few times i was in a gym (a hotel gym while on vacation), i was able to do a routine from start to finish and knew what i was doing. whereas many people going in there, including many men, hadn't a clue about what to do!

the one thing i dislike about working out in a gym is that people do not follow proper gym etiquette - wiping the perspiration off of the equipment when they're done. when i took a weight lifting class in college, our instructor drilled that into us.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 11:18 AM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I think it's personality. Introverts like working out at home, extroverts like the gym. .
I don't think this is necessarily true for everyone and cannot be said as a blanket statement. I am an extrovert, and I prefer to work out at home for myriad reasons, not the least of which is that the flexibility of it suits me as I can workout on my schedule, the gym offerings are limited, and I HATE machines. My husband on the other hand is a total introvert, and is one of those people who thinks the gym is the only place you can get a "good" workout.

Although he tells me I'm fit and comments frequently on what great shape I'm in, he does not seem to make the connection that I'm living proof you can get fit using videos. Hello??
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 11:32 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I think even people who do use workout DVDs don't give Richard Simmons enough credit. He has helped lots of people lose weight (and lots of weight actually in some cases) over the years. I realize that his workouts may not be for everyone, but they're still good workouts.
Oh, I wasn't dissing Richard Simmons. I know that he has helped countless people lose weight. But it is easy for people outside the VF community to not take him seriously because he can be kind of silly. But everyone knows who he is and he and Jane Fonda are probably what most non-VF people tend to think of when you say you workout to DVD's.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 11:46 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I think it's personality. Introverts like working out at home, extroverts like the gym.
I agree!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 11:57 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Interestingly, I just rediscovered Richard! And guess what -- it's a pretty darn good workout for a 64 year old non-Cath-lete! Know why it's good? Because I DO it with all my heart. Gets my heartrate up and my endorphins singing. I also love The Firm, Ellen, Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Christi Taylor and many many others.

I once weighed over 300 pounds. Today I weigh around 110 or so. Long story how I got there, but part of the way I've maintained it is by faithfully doing exercise videos for the last 11 years! I take no medications whatsoever and am in excellent health, other than a grumpy knee which resents all the years it had to carry the extra weight.

When I hear people run down dvds, I just smile at them. Do exercise videos work? I stand as living proof that they do!
Great story!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 12:23 PM  
Lyonmom

I don't particularly agree with the introvert vs. extrovert thing. I prefer to exercise at home because it's easier. I don't have to get up earlier to get dressed, drive to the gym and get myself together to get into the office. Instead, I wake up, throw my clothes on and pop in a dvd. As a working mom, this also means I have time in the morning to see my son before he's off to school.

I also have variety. I can do barre, pilates, P90X or Turbo Jam on a whim. I can't afford to spend tons of money at a barre or pilates studio. With dvds, I can do any class and not have to pay fees my family can ill afford. Heck, without dvds I may not have been introduced to some types of exercise.

We still have a gym membership but I got tired of people not wiping down the equipment after using and the ones who are in a hurry and stand over you huffing and puffing while you are using a machine. Plus, I cannot make an excuse when my gym is at home . My husband uses the gym when his work schedule allows but I think we'll be cancelling once our 18 months are done. Seems like a waste when he's only using it every other month
Old 08-03-13, 01:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janzia View Post
My husband always said I was way ahead of the curve with kettlebells.
my DH is a PE teacher and he has always been supportive of my vidiotism. i also have worked out in the gym and run/walk outside. however, he's picked up ideas from my videos, like resistance bands for example.

at one time, resistance bands were somewhat not very common. i think tamilee webb was one of the first instructors to use them- in a book. DH saw me using them when i bought the slim series when it first came out. he was intrigued because their school cannot afford to buy dumbbells for all students, so he experimented with mine and the next time they bought equipment, he was able to buy enough bands for each student to learn resistance training.

the bosu and kettlebells is another example of videos being the early adopters. another is pilates. not many people knew what it was, and now, it's so common.

when people i knew started raving about P90x, it was at least several years after i had purchased and done 2 P90x rotations.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym membership, ymca