Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-13, 08:45 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Honestly, I think that when people put down DVD workouts, it's out of ignorance of what's available
Other than Beachbody infomercials and the few DVDs on retail shelves - mostly Gaiam, pink Firms and Biggest Loser - most DVDs are invisible to the world at large. Even a lot of the workouts on Lionsgate's BeFit channel are only sold online.

I'm one of those rare people who likes both the gym and videos. It doesn't have to be either-or.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 08:50 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

IMO most people imagine home video exercise as:

1) Denise Austin-like instructors and too-easy workouts, and

2) having 1 video to do, over and over again. That is, they know you can buy more, but they seem to think you're meant to buy 1, maybe 2, to use ad infinitum.

I have a 61yo friend who belongs to a tough local bootcamp class and can no longer afford to attend (it's pricey!). She used to drag her butt out there 3 nights a week and complained that she disliked exercising hard at night because she was so tired by the end of her workday. I saw an opportunity and told her I'd be happy to lend her some challenging videos to replace the classes and would even lend her weights, but she looked horrified. "No I can't do that!" she replied and now she just goes for walks in the evening. <shrug>

ETA - Just thought about it some more and on the plus side of live classes, I will admit that I've *always* pushed myself and worked harder in that environment than when I'm at home, and I'm kidding myself if I think otherwise. Now, I'm okay with that and hope that consistency and the comfort of being home helps make up for that difference, at least a little, but I'm sure most people also instinctively know that about themselves which is probably the major reason they don't see themselves (wasting time) at home working out with videos.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 09:07 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I will say I have really pushed myself at home, and often do. It just takes more effort to push myself at home! The class environment does provide some natural motivation. Though I appreciate hotncmom's observation about people feeling the peer pressure to do too much and courting injury. I can't say I've noticed that personally, but I can see where that would be the case.

I think part of it for me with live classes is that it really 'costs' me to get there. The classes are expensive, I have to arrange for childcare, get myself to the studio, etc. If I'm going to go to all that trouble, it gives me extra motivation to give it my all. Recently I was really grimacing during some tough thigh work at a Pure Barre class. Afterwards, the woman next to me asked me if I was ok! I told her it had been a big hassle to get there, I wasn't just going to phone it in!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 09:13 AM  
Janzia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
When Buti classes pop up, we can say "Oh, yeah, I was doing that two years ago." That's what is so exciting to me.

The issue I see with live classes is peer pressure to do more than you're capable of, which can lead to injury. When the instructor shows the modification and then the advanced, almost every single person in the room will go for the advanced, because they do not want to be the only one staying modified. People are using heavier weights than they probably should be, because they see other people doing it. And the class sizes at the Y? So large that there's no way an instructor can keep an eye on everyone (not that they are probably getting paid enough to bother).

With DVD's I think you are more inclined to work at your own pace, to follow cues to modify and to take a break when needed.
My husband always said I was way ahead of the curve with kettlebells. I think I got my first set of kettlebells and dvds about 7 or 8 years ago and I didn't see them pop up at the gym until a couple of years ago and now our Y offers a kettlebell class. I've been curious about it but I figure it won't be like the traditional KB workouts that I am used to.

I so agree with the second part too. The one and only time I took a step class at the gym everyone was using steps with at least two risers, now when I do step at home I use just the bench, I'm short with achy knees and that is what works for me. What did I do though when I saw everyone with those risers though, I went and got risers too, to my credit I did only get one set but it made the class less enjoyable to me and I found myself tripping all over my step because I wasn't used to working out that way.

I also agree with other posts saying that a lot of people just don't know what is out there beyond what you see in the retail stores and that some people just can't find that same motivation to workout at home. I know several people that just feel like they need the energy from a live class or by having others working out around them, it gives them the push they need.

I personally do both. I have one class that I take at the gym and love it and the live feel and the energy that I get from it but for the most part I'm still a home workout person. I like the variety I get at home and the fact that I can workout whenever I please.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."~John "the Penguin" Bingham
Janzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 09:18 AM  
rosepetals

[QUOTE=hotncmom;2268641]I just don't think that people realize the variety of workout DVD's that are available these days. In most people's minds' they think you're doing Richard Simmons.

I have to laugh back when I first started working out at home I did Richard Simmons everyday along with his deal-a-meal program. I lost all the weight from having a baby and got in shape. His program worked for me. I also added on Karen Voights arms and abs VHS which was about 20-30 min. It wasn't very intense, but it worked.

Thank goodness there are so many choices now.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 10:20 AM  
Cowgirl32

I have very little time to workout and have gone to gym classes a few times. I'm sure there are great instructors, but the few times I have tried body pump, spinning, or a pilates class at the gym; I was truly disappointed. I went home later in the day and popped in a DVD because I felt like I just did nothing?! I use the treadmill when I can't run outside. I just have missed my running/jogging. I feel like running just gets me faster fat loss results than video cardio.
Old 08-03-13, 10:34 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I personally think very few people are unbiased enough to recognize that there are multiple ways to both define and to get fit. I believe most people believe their way is the best way and working out to videos is still a very small part of the fitness community. This in some ways makes sense because if you really believed that what you were doing to get fit wasn't the most effective you'd probably lose motivation to continue over the long term.

Even people who go to a gym have a personal bias about other activities at that gym. For example, heavy lifters might think people who do pilates/barre are wimpy. People who run on the treadmill might mock people who take group fitness classes. Then there's the free weights vs. machines posses. Everybody had an opinion about someone else's chosen method of working out

My personal belief is that video exercisers are a bit more global in their thinking about fitness because we get exposed to so many different forms of fitness. We get to try it all. And we develop our own opinions and/or biases based on what we like and what we see working on our own bodies. But I think overall as a community we are more open to recognizing there are many ways to get and be fit.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 10:43 AM  
Leonana

I think it's personality. Introverts like working out at home, extroverts like the gym.

I started working out in a gym years ago, but because of the inconvenience, only made it a couple of times a week. I didn't get much out of it, because I didn't like group classes, and only used the treadmill and weight machines. I never had a trainer.

I was always too intimidated for the group classes. I tried an aerobics class once at the Y. I have a hard time understanding verbal instructions on the moves, and would be the only one floundering around. Plus I have no rhythm!

Regarding videos, I thought the reason they didn't work was because people didn't stick with them. I did purchase a Pilates VHS set once, but was discouraged because I couldn't get the correct form. Once dd was born, I became a SAHM, and we didn't have the extra money for gym membership.

Enter Jillian Michaels. An internet friend recommended her. I tried 30 Day Shred, found that I could understand the simple exercises, and that they were effective. Not only that, my stress went way down.

However, eventually I wasn't noticing results and realized I needed more variety. Went to Collage, started watching clips, found the forum - and the rest is history. I now mostly use Jessica Smith and spinning/biking.

My friends know videos work, because they've seen the change in me. With video workouts and using MFP, I've dropped two sizes. It still hasn't convinced them to do it themselves though. They think it's tedious work, and don't realize it can be enjoyable.
Old 08-03-13, 10:49 AM  
Judy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I just don't think that people realize the variety of workout DVD's that are available these days. In most people's minds' they think you're doing Richard Simmons.
Interestingly, I just rediscovered Richard! And guess what -- it's a pretty darn good workout for a 64 year old non-Cath-lete! Know why it's good? Because I DO it with all my heart. Gets my heartrate up and my endorphins singing. I also love The Firm, Ellen, Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Christi Taylor and many many others.

I once weighed over 300 pounds. Today I weigh around 110 or so. Long story how I got there, but part of the way I've maintained it is by faithfully doing exercise videos for the last 11 years! I take no medications whatsoever and am in excellent health, other than a grumpy knee which resents all the years it had to carry the extra weight.

When I hear people run down dvds, I just smile at them. Do exercise videos work? I stand as living proof that they do!
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 10:55 AM  
Fitstick

If i had enough time, i might want to belong to a gym or take classes. For me, it is about convenience and no excuses, i can roll out of bed at the crack of dawn and get my workout in using videos. And for that i am thankful!!!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym membership, ymca