Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-11, 01:36 AM  
Gancho Girl

Loving Misty Tripoli's Body Groove Complete Collection!

I know quite a few VFers bought Misty Tripoli's Body Groove Complete Collection when it came up on amazon for just $9.95.

I've just posted a review on my blog - I'd give the set a solid 4 1/2 stars. I don't feel the same HUGE love as I do for Delicious Dance, but it's a pretty big love nonetheless.

The set consists of four DVDs - Spirit Groove, Pilates Groove, Yoga Groove and Latin Groove. On the same disc as Latin Groove is a bonus abs workout. Each workout (aside from the abs workout) is around the 30 minute mark.

I can see that Spirit Groove and Latin Groove will be the ones I use the most. Both use Misty's cardio style, of using a simple movement which you can then make as intense or light as you want, all with your own style. They're more "choreographed" than Delicious Dance, in that you build on moves and repeat that section, and only occasionally do you move around the space however you want to. But I can easily see that this was Misty starting to make Body Groove into what it is now.

Accompanied by live percussion, Spirit Groove uses your body to explore different movements, and really gets into every little part. Latin Groove is similar, but with more of a salsa/merengue flare.

I enjoyed Pilates Groove, but I don't know how often I'll use it. I love Misty's "wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle" way of getting you to relax and enjoy various positions, but maybe I'm just in that place where I like my Pilates to be focused and strong.

Yoga Groove provided a nice, low-key, chilled out yoga vibe (with more wiggles), which I can see myself using for those days when I just want to unwind and destress, and don't necessarily want a full-on yoga DVD experience.

The bonus abs workout is only about 5 or 6 minutes long, but I was surprised by how much I liked it. Misty gives different levels of intensity - you start out standing for some basic ab work, then move to the floor for some Pilates inspired work.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 06:41 AM  
SpiritSong

Thank you for the review! I bought this set and plan on using it at the end of January/beginning of February for my recovery week.
Old 12-31-11, 09:33 AM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gancho Girl View Post
I can see that Spirit Groove and Latin Groove will be the ones I use the most. Both use Misty's cardio style, of using a simple movement which you can then make as intense or light as you want, all with your own style. They're more "choreographed" than Delicious Dance, in that you build on moves and repeat that section, and only occasionally do you move around the space however you want to. But I can easily see that this was Misty starting to make Body Groove into what it is now.

Accompanied by live percussion, Spirit Groove uses your body to explore different movements, and really gets into every little part. Latin Groove is similar, but with more of a salsa/merengue flare.
I did spirit groove the other day. It was my first time trying it. I got it as a free download earlier in the year. I found that I liked Misty as an instructor and I like the concept, but didn't enjoy following the workout. There was too much "moving around in your own space however you want" and not enough Choreography (for my liking). I had wondered if Delicious dance would be more to my liking, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. I will try the workout again, as everyday is different and what you don't enjoy one day you might love the next and vice versa. But as far as first impressions - I think my biggest issue is I couldn't get into the "free form dance"' for as long as it went on. I think it is OK for in between dances (like in soul sweat) but I felt those portions dragged on. I lost focus and my heart rate dropped during these segments. I will say though that I can see why so many VFer's love these workouts - even if I can't join in on the love.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11, 04:57 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
I did spirit groove the other day. It was my first time trying it. I got it as a free download earlier in the year. I found that I liked Misty as an instructor and I like the concept, but didn't enjoy following the workout. There was too much "moving around in your own space however you want" and not enough Choreography (for my liking). I had wondered if Delicious dance would be more to my liking, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. I will try the workout again, as everyday is different and what you don't enjoy one day you might love the next and vice versa.
Personally, in terms of Delicious Dance, I find that even though much more of Misty's time is spent in "free form dance" (in that you move in your own way, using the basic moves), it feels much calmer than in Soul Sweat and Planet Motion - less "woo!" factor, if that makes sense.

But if you want choreography (it terms of "do this, turn this way, left foot forward, etc etc"), then Delicious Dance mightn't be the one for you. Have you looked at the sample clips on her website? They might give you a better idea of whether or not you'll like it (although I recommend that you actually DO the clips along with Misty, rather than just watching - just watching the clips really didn't give me any idea of how much I'd actually get out of it and enjoy it!).

---

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Old 12-31-11, 05:07 PM  
horsemom2

I would suggest when doing these kind of routines, focus on how the music and the move make you feel. Ignore your heartrate.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-12, 10:56 AM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Personally, in terms of Delicious Dance, I find that even though much more of Misty's time is spent in "free form dance" (in that you move in your own way, using the basic moves), it feels much calmer than in Soul Sweat and Planet Motion - less "woo!" factor, if that makes sense.
Yes it makes total sense... I don't care too much for the "woo" factor!

Quote:
But if you want choreography (it terms of "do this, turn this way, left foot forward, etc etc"), then Delicious Dance mightn't be the one for you. Have you looked at the sample clips on her website? They might give you a better idea of whether or not you'll like it (although I recommend that you actually DO the clips along with Misty, rather than just watching - just watching the clips really didn't give me any idea of how much I'd actually get out of it and enjoy it!).
I have not looked at the clips. I will do, and thanks for the suggestion of following along rather than just watching the clips. It's a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I would suggest when doing these kind of routines, focus on how the music and the move make you feel. Ignore your heartrate.

Barb S
Barb, I was feeling good, until the section where she just has you move around and freeze, move and around... freeze, and this goes on for quite some time. Then I was just sort of standing there, going "come on, teach me some more moves." Maybe it was a mood thing? Like I said I will try it again, I was just posting my first impressions.

I've recently discovered Deanne Berry, a very different type of dance. It is very choreographed and I am really loving it. This is very different and I'm not trying to compare, but maybe I'll try Misty again in a few weeks after I've got Deanne out of my system.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-12, 02:55 PM  
horsemom2

If anyone loves alot of different, easy to follow, feel good moves and music only (no verbal cuing), definitely try MUVE!
www.muve.com

Barb S
who has been preferring MUVE on the bungee to all rebounder specific workouts
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-12, 03:21 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
Barb, I was feeling good, until the section where she just has you move around and freeze, move and around... freeze, and this goes on for quite some time. Then I was just sort of standing there, going "come on, teach me some more moves." Maybe it was a mood thing? Like I said I will try it again, I was just posting my first impressions.
The first time I came across this (in Soul Sweat) I just couldn't figure out what on earth to do. Now I just let myself go and it's fun as hell in Misty's DVDs (although I find the section in Spirit Groove and Latin Groove a bit too long as well).

---

Tags
body groove, misty tripoli