Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-11, 01:57 AM  
christinan

Turbo Fire and Chalene Extreme - is it good? best place to order?

Hi all,

It has been years since working out and I would like to get motivated to move again. I was reviewing Turbo Fire on you tube and online at BB. I was wondering where the best place would be to order from?

I am in Canada, and have had MANY problems in the past with BB. I have a zillion dvd's and BB was the only place I had nightmares from.

I would also like to know if Turbo Fire is really good?

And how is Chalene Extreme? That seems fun too - is it worth while to get?

TIA

...Come to Me all ye who are weary & heavy-ladened and I will give you Rest...
Matthew 11:28 / KJV ~ "The Holy Bible"

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
christinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 03:24 AM  
bearcatfan

I *adore* Turbo Fire for cardio. Between the music, the energy and the vibe, it has spoiled me for other workouts. I've not bought a thing since I purchase it at the beginning of the summer. I am now on another rotation, but can't wait to get back to it and use it as single cardio workouts.

Order it from a coach - the easiest way, although I'm not sure how much shipping is to Canada. Several VFers are Beachbody coaches, as well as Mary at totalfitness (her BB website is www.totalfitnessdvds.net).
Old 10-04-11, 10:19 AM  
gigi

I love both programs and second the suggestion that you order from Mary at www.totalfitnessdvds.net. You won't have the BB customer service headaches that way.

Turbo fire is fun with motivating music and a live class feel. Sometimes the participants are cheesy for lack of a better word but I just laugh.

Chalene Extreme is a good, solid weight program yet not isolated. You are lifting heavy but usually using more than one muscle group at a time. It's an interesting concept.
Old 10-04-11, 11:11 PM  
christinan

Great! TF seems to be a must have It is on my wish list now since viewing some video on it and seeing feedback here...

Thanks for the suggestion to check out Mary's site! I used to order from her but had no idea she was doing the BB coach thing now! I very much appreciate having a trusted source to deal with now for any BB dvd's

Any feedback for ChaLean Extreme set? Is it really good as well? I never did get the Cathe STS way back and maybe I'll get this instead? I noticed there was an add on pack for 7 more Extreme workouts. Are they worth it to add?

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
Old 10-04-11, 11:39 PM  
cardiomama

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinan View Post

Any feedback for ChaLean Extreme set? Is it really good as well? I never did get the Cathe STS way back and maybe I'll get this instead? I noticed there was an add on pack for 7 more Extreme workouts. Are they worth it to add?
Chalean Extreme is a good program, well balanced & includes resistance, cardio, abs & stretch/basic yoga workouts (also has nutrition guide & guide that includes exercise breakdowns w/ program information). It is for 90 days (work on 3 different resistance workouts for each month), and it's nice that most of the workouts are 40 mins or less (abs & stretch are the shortest, under 20 min.) and it is 5-day-a-week rotation. It is a program that promotes 3 resistance workouts per week, lifting heavy (relative to what you can lift safely) w/ some muscle groups of the upper body worked w/ lower body (some days may focus on shoulders, or chest & back), and the resistance exercises are performed at a slow pace (and there are modifications demoed for low impact/intensity options & use of bands for resistance vs. dumbbells). Chalene Johnson is the lead, and she is very chatty & peppy, many people find her motivating. I think the deluxe workouts are good to add for variety (sub for the cardio, abs & stretch/yoga workouts), but may be better to try the basic set first to see if you like it (you may not dig the program).

There are reviews for most of the Chalean Extreme workouts that you can read for the exercise breakdowns, duration of time & other opinions:
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...inst.php?id=92

Let us know if you have other questions.

ETA: the rotation has 2 cardio workouts done per week, abs & stretch workouts once per week.
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:52 PM  
christinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiomama View Post
Chalean Extreme is a good program, well balanced & includes resistance, cardio, abs & stretch/basic yoga workouts (also has nutrition guide & guide that includes exercise breakdowns w/ program information). It is for 90 days (work on 3 different resistance workouts for each month), and it's nice that most of the workouts are 40 mins or less (abs & stretch are the shortest, under 20 min.) and it is 5-day-a-week rotation. It is a program that promotes 3 resistance workouts per week, lifting heavy (relative to what you can lift safely) w/ some muscle groups of the upper body worked w/ lower body (some days may focus on shoulders, or chest & back), and the resistance exercises are performed at a slow pace (and there are modifications demoed for low impact/intensity options & use of bands for resistance vs. dumbbells). Chalene Johnson is the lead, and she is very chatty & peppy, many people find her motivating. I think the deluxe workouts are good to add for variety (sub for the cardio, abs & stretch/yoga workouts), but may be better to try the basic set first to see if you like it (you may not dig the program).

There are reviews for most of the Chalean Extreme workouts that you can read for the exercise breakdowns, duration of time & other opinions:
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...inst.php?id=92

Let us know if you have other questions.

ETA: the rotation has 2 cardio workouts done per week, abs & stretch workouts once per week.
Ooooh, that sounds great! Thanks so much for the info. Everything you mentioned is what I would tend to enjoy so I'm excited now to try it. I will defintely check out the reviews as well!

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
Old 10-05-11, 07:36 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I personally prefer P90X to CLX, but I guess it just depends on the style of weightlifting one likes. If you are interested in trading for CLX, PM me and we can see if we can make a deal.

Turbo Fire is a wonderful workout if you like high-intensity cardio that is also fun. Where I dread some cardio w/o s, TF is one that I really like. It is a fun mix of kickboxing, dancing and straight cardio. The music is great!!!
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 11:50 AM  
laurajhawk

I just started a modified CLX rotation - I completed one rotation a couple years ago and have used the workouts a bit since then. I quite like it; you get a good hard workout in less than 45 minutes, 5 days a week, so it's not as big a commitment as P90X (which I also like a lot).

Get it from totalfitnessdvds.net so Mary will take care of you.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 03:56 PM  
christinan

Mmmm, I'm thinking both TF and CLX now...

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
Old 10-05-11, 06:04 PM  
cardiomama

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
I personally prefer P90X to CLX, but I guess it just depends on the style of weightlifting one likes...
This is true, but also the equipment requirements, duration of time for workouts & the sequencing of exercises factor into preferences. P90X is a solid program, but I didn't like all of the components.

This was some of the pros of Chalean Extreme over P90X for me:
-found the cardio workouts enjoyable/fun
-no need for pull-up bar (just resistance)
-3 different resistance workouts each month (something new to look forward to)
-liked that chest exercises did not just consist of push-up variations (think P90X could have been better w/ inclusion of weighted chest exercises)
-stretch workout was simple & short (not motivated to do yoga for 1.5 hours or find it necessary)

And to be fair, some cons for Chalean Extreme:
-Lifting at a super slow pace for most exercises was not always motivating (would have preferred some variance in the pace of lifts)
- music was canned, nothing memorable, P90X had way better music.
- some combination exercises were just awkward (delt raise w/ leg lift on all fours, or bicep curl & hamstring curl, chest fly w/ leg abduction= the inclusion of looped band & dumbbell exercises did not always mesh well together), and did not seem to have much benefit (better to split up exercise or sequence differently)
-lots of shoulder focus for upper body, almost to the point of excessiveness.

But overall, Chalean Extreme is one of Beachbody programs that I have really liked (including the deluxe workouts, they're not just filler/fluff type), and still use the workouts in my regimen (cardio especially, some of the resistance, too). The duration of time for workouts is what works for me, too.
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalean extreme, chalene johnson, clx, turbo fire, turbofire