Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-11, 09:46 AM  
isebelleg44

Do you do traditional Corework

I am making my way through the RKS workouts and am trying to get away from the traditional isolation muscle work that I have done for years. So far the workouts do not have much "traditional" ab work. I was thinking of adding some ab work, because I feel like I need to strengthen the core area. My lower back has been a little twingy lately.

Do you feel that core work is necessary? Does anyone no longer do traditional core work and I am not talking about crunches, jut core focused workouts.

Last edited by isebelleg44; 08-04-11 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 10:14 AM  
daisysunshine

Something to keep in mind is that sometimes a "tingy" lower back could just mean that you've worked out your lower back and it's getting strong. [I mean obviously if it's HURTING that's one thing, but "tingy" could be the good thing.

I work my core every day, all angles. Crunches, planks, pikes, (when I'm able). my goal is actually to try to get my back as strong as my front and sides, as I tend to neglect it. I think it's essential to have a strong core 360degrees

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 10:15 AM  
Carb8985

Yes! Once a week, I have a "core day." I often do Fitness Fix Intermediate's Core Fix segment (20 minutes) + a series of plank variations (on my own) + a Ballet Body ab segment (mat or standing abs). I think it's really important to work your core. It has really helped my posture, especially when sitting, and I think core strength helps with all other kinds of workouts and with daily life activities and preventing injury.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 10:19 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
Something to keep in mind is that sometimes a "tingy" lower back could just mean that you've worked out your lower back and it's getting strong. [I mean obviously if it's HURTING that's one thing, but "tingy" could be the good thing.

I work my core every day, all angles. Crunches, planks, pikes, (when I'm able). my goal is actually to try to get my back as strong as my front and sides, as I tend to neglect it. I think it's essential to have a strong core 360degrees

oops meant to say twingy! thanks for your reply
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 02:08 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I agree that keeping the core as strong as possible is great for posture, preventing injury and it also keeps my lower back pain away. I used to have to go to my chiropractor alot as I was constantly having lower back issues. When I first got back into working out all I did in the beginning was pilates. I really feel that helped me as I gradually transitioned into more intense workouts..especially kettlebell and plyometrics. Having a strong core (which honestly I never had before) has helped my lower back and I strongly believe it has allowed me to do the above mentioned workout types without hurting myself!

So yes, I still do lots and lots of core work...although I have gotten away from doing just straight up pilates. Hmm, maybe I need to do that tomorrow!
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 02:22 PM  
ellaenchanted

Yep, I do. Nothing gets my abs stronger and more defined than a combo of plank/push up work and crunch variations. I do non-traditional as well. For lower back, glutes, and hamstrings, I looooove deadlifts.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 04:56 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
I try to do this too Sunshine. I find working my core in some form or other alleviates the leg pain I get from my spinal stenosis. When I went to PT that's what they had me concentrate on was my core. At the time I remember thinking, How is this helping with my leg pain? Now that I've been trying to consciously work the core 4-5X a week i can feel the difference. A strong core strengthens the back and minimizes associated pain from back issues.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 07:11 PM  
2ndgen

I do core, which can include pilates, crunches, standing ab work, etc., yoga, etc., etc., twice a week on easy walk days or some other easy day. I really don't see a need to do more than 15 minutes on those sessions as every kind of exercise I do works my core.
Old 08-04-11, 07:43 PM  
hotncmom

No, I just do plank/mountain climber stuff and my abs are totally flat. I had a pooch for many years but no more!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 11:46 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
No, I just do plank/mountain climber stuff and my abs are totally flat. I had a pooch for many years but no more!
Any certain dvds you use?
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote