Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-11, 11:31 AM  
hotncmom

@#$%! Amazon shipping

Just coming on here to vent. I ordered a book (and workout DVD ) on Friday 3/11. The book was a preorder of a book that was to be released on 3/15. From what I understand, at some places when you preorder a book it is on your doorstep on the release date. My order didn't ship until 3/17 and it is STILL not here yet. Yes, I had free shipping, but still. The DVD was in stock, so why didn't they at least pack the box on 3/15 and ship it out then? And what in the world could be taking it so long?

In contrast, I ordered 2 DVD's from Mary (also free shipping) at 9:30 pm on Friday, and they arrived in my mailbox on Monday - from Wisconsin to NC.

One of the DVD's I ordered from Mary was Yoga Beauty Body, my first Kundalini yoga. I noticed she doesn't have any other Ravianas if I wanted more, so I would have to order from Amazon again. But I am FED UP with their slowness!

As an aside, does anyone know why Mary doesn't carry Montenegro Method or Raviana (the Amazon DVD I am waiting for is a MM)?

Why is Amazon screwing around with their customers like this? They have the largest selection of just about anything, but I'm really going to explore all other options before I order from them again.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:35 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Do you have Amazon Prime?
I think Amazon Prime orders get priority in shipping (since they promise 2-day delivery on most items), so other orders may take longer.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:40 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Do you have Amazon Prime?
I think Amazon Prime orders get priority in shipping (since they promise 2-day delivery on most items), so other orders may take longer.
No, I don't think it's worth it because I only order DVD's from them that Mary doesn't have, and besides that, a book or my dog's flea meds or vacuum bags a few times a year. I understand that the shipping takes longer, especially when it's free, but they just drag their feet on preparing the boxes for shipping as well, which is unacceptable to me.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:44 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Amazon used to be better about their Super Saver Shipping; I've definitely noticed a decline over the past few years. Unfortunately, if you sign up for SSS, you agree to "ship all items in one package," which means that they will potentially hold up items, even if they are in stock. Sometimes they will go ahead and ship items separately, but you can't count on this with SSS. Also, SSS for items like books and videos is generally media mail rather than first class, so that accounts for the slowness.

I guess Amazon is attempting to funnel more customers into their Amazon Prime program. If you complain, I am sure you will get a nice response--they may even through a few bucks credit your way--but I doubt that the system is going to change.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:47 AM  
PhyllisG

Sometimes things arrive really quickly from amazon even with the free shipping and other times it takes longer. I just take note of the time frame and it has always arrived within the period. I know that things come from different places. I guess amazon has various warehouses.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 11:54 AM  
vigirl

get amazon prime if you are a mom

i just signed up and have already bought a couple of items. love the 2 day shipping.

if you are a mom or caretaker you can sign up for free and your items don't have to be baby items! i just bought a watch and some KV dvds. hopefully they will arrive as quickly as my other items.

i think the link is http://www.amazon.com/mom

hth
vigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:00 PM  
dela

Amazon prime is awesome! I was only going to keep it for the trial period, but they sure did their job, and I don't feel like I can live without it now. I can't believe how much stuff I ordered this month.

I agree the SS shipping does come closer to the end of the 5-7 business day period, but I have never received a package later than they estimated. I have 2 theories on why a few years back SS shipping started taking longer, the first theory is, we all learned we could choose SS and still get the package in about 2 days anyway, so why pay? And theory 2, with the large numbers of orders coming in, they probably needed to clean up how they prioritized packing to ensure 2 day orders made it in 2 days.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:32 PM  
ldy_solana

just to note some items will say it might take additional packing/shipping time b/c amazon might be getting it from the supplier/manufacturer and not actually from any of their warehouses. don't know if this was your case but there were times i noticed it and just canceled and to go somewhere else. i don't need 5 different shipments if i am ordering from the same place at the same time. aside from that i have never had an issue with amazon's shipment. possible they did supply enough books since it was a pre-order? i would not be surprised there either.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:53 PM  
jplain

But just a caution, even Amazon Prime has been arriving slower for me lately.

They used to send everything via UPS, and everything arrived on time. But my last 2 orders took 3 and 4 days, and I'm currently waiting on one that'll probably take at least 3 days based on the tracking in progress. My last few packages have all been sent via the FedEx/USPS hybrid. They seem to get held up in the transfer from FedEx to USPS. As soon as the order I'm waiting for arrives, I'm going to call Amazon CS and complain.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:55 PM  
Castella

In the spirit of generally hating on Amazon, several times (three that I can remember off hand) I have placed orders with them, only to be informed WEEKS later that they did not have the item in stock, could not locate it, and could not fulfil the order. WTH Amazon. It did not say "out of stock" when I ordered. These were items that I was easily able to find on other sites, sometimes at a lower price!

It also really bugs me when I google something and Amazon is out there claiming to have an item at the best price, then you see that it is out of stock.

I've also tried their auto reship for some grocery items that I eat regularly and can't get in town (curse you Whole Foods for dropping brands after you get me addicted). It's cheaper when it works, but more often than not they cancel the reship without notifying me. Then I have to go in and start the order over again and the item is available, so why was it cancelled in the first place (if the provider changes, I can see that but still).

My feelings regarding Amazon are mixed. Still better than going to an actual store but still not the happy experience it was back in the day.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, amazon prime, amazon.com, mary, totalfitnessdvds.com, www.totalfitnessdvds.com