Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-02, 10:52 PM  
mandy133

Talking Aerobic step

Hi, I'm a new user to videofitness, it is so helpful to me so far! I think this may be a dumb question but it doesn't hurt to ask..
I'm thinking of either purchasing a new Reebok step or making one out of wood with the same length and width. The step is often advertised as having a "shock absorbing" surface, so if I made a step out of wood would that cause damage to my knees?
Thank you from a new stepper,
Mandy
mandy133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-02, 11:23 PM  
Celia M

I'm not familiar with a solid wood step with the same height and width as the Reebok step, but just from a practical standpoint, the Reebok step has a lot more shock absorbing ability than wood. I think I'd go with the Reebok - no question.

Although you may want to consider the Step Co. step as well... it's longer than the Reebok step, but you can adjust it to a lower height (4" to 8") versus the Reebok (6" to 10"). If you're tall (unlike me!) then it might not be an issue.
Old 07-20-02, 07:35 AM  
Julia R
VF Supporter

I agree

I agree with Celia. It's very helpful to be able to raise and lower your step. I find the 4" height works for me on some of my low advanced tapes, while 6" is great for my intermediate tapes. I can keep my heart rate in the correct zone, and still use all my favourite step tapes. I have a Step Company step, by the way.
Old 07-20-02, 10:22 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

agree and...

You've gotten some good advice so far. For more info and sources for step benches, there are several related questions in the Shoes/Equipment/Gear FAQs.

See http://forum.videofitness.com/forumd...?s=&forumid=24

Make sure you select the choice to display threads from the past year to bring all those threads up, or you can run a search of that forum using the purple search button up top.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-02, 01:16 PM  
zzmaryg

skip the box

i go way back to the early days when everyone stepped on boxes! skip it and go right to a real platform...
reason, both the reeb and the step co platforms provide a slope where it would be a hard sharp right angle on a box - and eventually the screws or nails will loosen. also it doesn't provide a tread like surface for sure footing. I remember our old boxes... they had to be swrilly painted on top to give traction. By the time you do all that, you might as well order one!

you got the pros and con variables about the 2 types regarding step height. I have used both for many years. right now i use the step co type where i teach and have the reeb platform at home. stepco is longer... i am short 5'2''. i prefer the shorter reeb - it has a slight slope on the end - i feel more in control on the long across the tops. But mainly I like the fact that it (the reebok) blocks lock to the platform... i actually misstepped once while teaching and flipped the lid of a stepco platform and landed right on my bum!
maryg

Tags
step co. step, wooden step