Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-02, 10:05 AM  
Diane Rogers
VF Supporter

Question Can a tall Step substitute for the Firm Tall Box/Fanny Lifter?

I have been acquiring some Firms and am wondering how necessary a tall box or Fanny Lifter (ugh--hate that name) is. I don't want to buy one. I know about the Rubbermaid tool box/stool? making a good one, but I don't even want to buy that if I don't have to...

I am hoping that my original step can substitute for the Firm's tall box-- or is there some reason why you need the shorter dimensions (stool vs. bench proportions)? I have only two risers on each side of my step right now but I am planning on buying extra risers so that my step can double as a nice weight bench (a la Cathe). If I used it as a step but added a 3rd riser to each side, would that be useful for the Firm videos? Or just dangerous?

I actually have an old genuine-Firm tall box that I bought like 15 years ago, that was converted to a kids' side table in our screened porch years ago... I don't know if it's still sturdy enough to hold me, but I guess I should try! I also can't remember what height I got.

Appreciate your feedback...
Old 09-13-02, 11:35 AM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

I use my Step

It's a Step Co. step, with extra risers, to make it 14 inches high. I only have a couple Firm tapes, Tough Tape and one from the beginners series, the Fat Burning one. So, the tall box is only used for step ups, hover squats, and as a bench for upper body weights, not for aerobics or combination exercises. I'm careful about my foot placement and body alignment, and both of these tapes are slow paced enough that it's easy to be conscious of this while performing the routines.

I think it might be dangerous on some of the other tapes' routines I've previewed at Collage. Experienced Firmies could give you better information than me, though. Anyone?
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 05:12 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Diane, I don't see why you couldn't use your regular step (with an extra riser) for Firm tall box work, and even for other Firm stuff. You can place the step vertically and use it from the back and both sides. You never use the front (by that I mean the side away from you) in a Firm video anyway.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 05:57 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I use my step with 5 risers on each side

I think it is very stable.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 06:48 PM  
pridd16
VF Supporter

I haven't bought a new step (even though I'm to the point where I need a slightly taller step because I'm not getting as much from the leg presses). However, there are certain motions, especially with the new tapes, where you're going to need to make some quick modifications because some of the cardio just doesn't work as well with the length of a regular step. It's doable, just be prepared.
pridd16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high step, step co. step, tall box