Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-06, 03:23 AM  
myndee15
VF Supporter

Step instead of TransFirmer for The Firm Workouts

I'm interested in the The Firm series that uses the TransFirmer, but do not want purchase the TransFirmer. I do own a Step and was wondering could I substitute that in place of the TransFirmer with the The Firm workouts? If so, how would I use the Step to do the workouts?

Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Myndee15
myndee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 05:08 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't have the Transfirmer or those workouts. But, if you click on this link and look at post #5, it has links to other threads about how to use a step instead of a Transfirmer. Good luck!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-06, 08:19 AM  
annetteb

Quote:
Originally Posted by myndee15
I'm interested in the The Firm series that uses the TransFirmer, but do not want purchase the TransFirmer. I do own a Step and was wondering could I substitute that in place of the TransFirmer with the The Firm workouts? If so, how would I use the Step to do the workouts?

Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Myndee15
Hi there, you can with some modifications but I went ahead and purchased the transfirmer step. I use the step with other videos such as Cathe, Keli and the Reebok videos. This way I can get my money's worth I hope this helps, Annette
Old 03-10-06, 03:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

which of the BSS4 workouts can you use a Step Co Step (rigging it into a ramp, using it like a regular step, making an incline weight bench for bench presses, etc.) without getting too frustrated?

i don't plan to get the TF or all of the workouts due to storage limitations (i have plenty of equipment as it is).

so far, i have my eye on Supercharged Sculpting, Aerobic Body Shaping, and Jiggle free buns.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 04:10 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

You can try...

I suggest getting one BSS4 workout - perhaps borrowing it from a friend - and trying it out. Jiggle-Free Buns uses the step in the incline mode a LOT.

Having said this I just don't see how you can do the BSS4 workouts without an incline step. I tried to do the BSS3s with my step propped up and it just wasn't safe and I couldn't put my full weight on it with any confidence.

After that I bought the TransFIRMer and in a 180-degree turnaround I now use the incline step instead of the regular step in 80% of my workouts. I step on the incline for everything!

I also use the TransFIRMer's smaller step surface instead of my full-size club step for many high-intensity step routines so I can keep up - Gin Miller's Intense Moves, Cathe's Body Max, anything Christi. Those end-to-end hops are *so* much more doable.

On a final note, if you use your club step as a weight bench you'll find the TransFIRMer is too short to lay on... so in the end I own both :rolleyes:
Old 03-10-06, 04:14 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Can the incline step work be modified to do with a tall/short step combo? I do have the fanny lifter...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 08:40 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

You can set up the step to make an incline similar to the Transfirmer; not the regular way to incline it, but putting one riser upside-down, 'diamond-shape' as you look at it, then put some weights on it to hold it down, and put the other risers over the two notches closest to you (so the diamond is cut in half). Hard to describe.

I used this for the BSS3 workouts.

IMO, it's a poor substitute for the Transfirmer, which is a very versatile piece of equipment (Ii just wouldn't use it for much step aerobics, because it is of a harder plastic than a Club Step, and would be tougher on the joints, IMO).

In BSS4, you don't just use the incline feature of the Transfirmer, but you do 'travelling' step-ups when it's set at 14", and there are some moves where you set it up like a staircase (in the Buns workout), and some moves where you use the incline and the edges of the taller section at the same time.

The Transfirmer is one piece of Firm eqjipment that I think is a very usefull addition to a home gym. I use it for doing hill climbs in Cardio Coach, and I've also used it for lunges in other workouts. It hits the glute/ham tie-in area very nicely, and is easier on the knees, it seems, than flat lunges.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-06, 08:52 AM  
gigi

Kathryn,
When you are using the Transfirmer for hill climbs with Cardio Coach what do you do the rest of the time? I don't own a treadmill but I'm thinking there are other ways to utilize Cardio Coach?

Tags
bss4, step co. step, transfirmer