Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-22, 07:47 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I joined 4/14/13. I had joined the Collage forum first, and learned about VF there. I registered, but didn't post for awhile, not until I learned the Collage forum was closing. I posted on both until Collage closed, then just VF. Mary eventually opened a forum at Total Fitness to replace it, I think that was in March 2014. I'm guessing I started posting in January or February 2014. I decided to stay at VF, most of my Collage friends had moved there, and the forum was more user friendly.

Is that in our statistics? I checked, and I can't find it. Checking my posts made, it only goes back to August 2021.

Hmmm. That was the first thread I started. I just now checked posts and that only goes back to 2019 for me.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 08:23 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I joined back in the 90s too. Back when it was all step for me! Then I didn't have a computer for some years (like how is that even possible?!) and then rejoined when I gave up my gym membership in the mid-2000s and then had to rejoin again in 2014 when I couldn't remember my username or password. I don't remember lurking but I do remember a lot of talking about the Collage Video catalog!

Feeling old...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 09:47 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I made my first post not long after I joined VF in 2010. My first post was about Jack LaLane. I posted a video clip of Jack at age 96. He was so inspirational! VFers were very welcoming when I introduced myself. I was so happy that I joined this forum!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 10:16 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Checking my posts made, it only goes back to August 2021.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I just now checked posts and that only goes back to 2019 for me.
These searches yield only the 500 most recent posts. The VF search function doesn't seem to have a readily visible option (1) to increase the number of results per search or (2) to extend the search much further into the past (such as by allowing searches by custom date range).

I haven't found my own first post yet in searching today, and although I'd probably recognize it, I have no specific memory of it. (Although I almost surely saved a copy of it on a hard drive somewhere--I like to "save my work"--it's not readily accessible to me at the moment.) I'm fairly sure, though, that after having waited for as long as I did to register (March 2002) after learning of the existence of VF (during the transition to the current forum software in 2001), my first post wasn't too long after I joined. I don't remember if my first post started a thread or was added to an existing one, but it probably mentioned my newness to VF without being exclusively about my newness. (VF already had a sticky thread for introductions, and any purely introductory post of mine would've been there instead of in its own thread.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 10:42 PM  
Lorelai

I joined 1/26/11 (my first daughter was born 1/26/15 so that's interesting!) and my first post was 1/30/11. Sooo... Not very long. I was only 22 and remember feeling very young for my interest in exercise videos. Lol

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 10:50 PM  
Lorelai

I also didn't know anyone in real life who used exercise videos and I had just discovered Ellen Barrett's Crunch DVDs at the library... They changed my whole outlook and set me on the path which led to me to VF. I was SO EXCITED when I found this forum!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 11:42 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Maybe a year or so, I was looking for reviews for some of the Beachbody sets, I found all the reviews and thoughts on those sets very helpful, and the forum seemed like a fun place to interact with other video fitness aficionados, so I decided to join in, but it took a while to get in, so I sent an e-mail and Wendy replied back and I was accepted immediately. Prior to that I was doing YouTube workouts, mostly Bodyrock and then Tatianamania. Then, I tried a few DVD rotations and I loved it so much, that I am still buying DVDs , I now do some YouTube here and there, but I still use my DVD most of the time.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-22, 06:52 AM  
Mickey12

I lurked for many years before I started posting. Actually I learned about VF from fitness magazines and I went to the site and thought the whole idea was dumb. I just didn’t understand the concept. Years after that I came back and lurked. I joined in 2010 but really didn’t post much at all. It has really only been the past few years that I have posted frequently.
Old 04-17-22, 06:59 AM  
Demeris

Years—3 or 4. It took me a while to have something to add to the conversations. I was making the transition from doing aerobics/weights at a health club to doing it at home. I had been receiving the Collage catalogue for some time and had 10 or 15 workout videos. I used the search function to do research rather than read on the forum until I noticed that I wasn't searching anymore, and I was reading the forum daily and had something to say. So I registered.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-22, 11:01 AM  
red1013

Maybe a year or so? I think I found this forum through the forums at Cathe's website?

I also remember discussions about the collagevideo catalogues and now I wish I had kept some!

Tags
getting to know you, how did you find vf, kindness of strangers, lurkdom, lurkers, vf history, vf love