Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-22, 12:29 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation Gah! I really hate the subscription idea!

I really loathe that almost everything online and in mobile apps is subscription based. I have very few subscriptions.

Sometimes you just want to buy something and be done with it. And not keep paying for the rest of your life!

My brief rant for today.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 01:53 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

And not just with workouts! I held onto my old Dell laptop for so long that I didn't even know that we can no longer buy Microsoft Office on a disc and load it ourselves from a one-time purchase. I can't believe you have to "lease" it for lack of a better word, and pay an annual subscription fee now.

Same with other software I had on my old Dell.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 02:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
And not just with workouts! I held onto my old Dell laptop for so long that I didn't even know that we can no longer buy Microsoft Office on a disc and load it ourselves from a one-time purchase. I can't believe you have to "lease" it for lack of a better word, and pay an annual subscription fee now.

I know!

I don't have so much of a gripe with fitness/workout subscriptions. Many instructors work hard to add new content regularly. It just seems that so many products have a subscription basis and all you get is a few updates. When they do a big update, you have to pay again.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 02:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

i was very delighted to find out (by having to Google it) that the powers that be decided to offer Microsoft Office as non-subscription in late 2021. to me, MS Office is a mature product and doesn't need too many more embellishments.

although many educators and students can get MS Office for free, it's more convenient to just have your own copy and be free from getting reminded that you need to pay your subscription.

(hello Adobe... are you listening?)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 04:07 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I really loathe that almost everything online and in mobile apps is subscription based. I have very few subscriptions.

Sometimes you just want to buy something and be done with it. And not keep paying for the rest of your life!

My brief rant for today.
Yes!
I also hate apps. An app for everything! “Hey, try this on our app!” says [amazon, Harris Teeter, YouTube, etc, etc!]

I don’t want a gazillion apps! I just get on my web browser and click through a few different pages, not open and close multiple apps!
(There’s my rant. I probably just outed myself as a Luddite or something. Fyi: I still pay bills with checks.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 04:42 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
ditto.

i was very delighted to find out (by having to Google it) that the powers that be decided to offer Microsoft Office as non-subscription in late 2021. to me, MS Office is a mature product and doesn't need too many more embellishments.

although many educators and students can get MS Office for free, it's more convenient to just have your own copy and be free from getting reminded that you need to pay your subscription.

(hello Adobe... are you listening?)

Don't get me started on Adobe! My son needed it for a college class but his laptop was too old to support the current version . He had to buy a new laptop just so he could do this class

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 04:50 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

What I cannot believe is now they're doing it with car features! I cannot remember exactly what features and I think at this point it may just be BMW, but, say you want your air bags to work, well, is your subscription up to date? (it's NOT for safety features, but still.....)
Old 04-12-22, 07:05 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i'm with you. i don't do a lot of subscriptions and even when i do i never feel like i get my moneys worth
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 08:14 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Yes the Microsoft sub really gets me. True it is good for multiple computers but I only use it on one at the moment.

The other thing is Quicken. I cannot download transactions from my bank or get tech support from them without a subscription. I used to be able to download my transactions from my bank to my computer then from my computer to the Quicken program but I cannot do this anymore without a sub! I don't want to do a direct transfer of info from my bank/credit card/investment company automatically because I don't trust it but why do I need to subscribe to do this manually? Seriously annoying. I did use customer service a few weeks ago, and I must say they were very helpful. The other advantage to the sub is you get updates which would have been helpful because a few years ago my old disk version wouldn't import transactions from my computer at all and the different file formats wouldn't permit a transfer to the new program. I had to set up accounts from scratch. Major PITA
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 08:18 AM  
cyana

AND, if you subscribe, everything is set up to auto-renew, which is another of my pet peeves.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, privacy, smart homes, subscriptions