Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-22, 02:34 PM  
SpiritYogi

Tax Filing

It is that (dreaded) time of year -- tax filing. The past three years, I have used Credit Karma's free tax filing software but they have off loaded it to Cash App Taxes, which I don't want to use because you have to use your cell phone to set up / active an account (I don't like to use apps). So...I am looking for another free tax filing provider.

My taxes aren't complicated. I'm single, no kids, have one job / W2, an HSA account, 401k (although I only contribute; I'm far from retirement), Roth IRA, and money market (have to claim interest on that). I'll take the standard deduction rather than itemize since I'll get more money back that way. With those parameters in mind, can anyone suggest a (preferably) free software program for state and federal taxes?
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 09:22 AM  
BigBadBetty

If you income is low enough (under $100k), you can use Tax Slayer. I used it last year. (I had an unusual tax situation in 2021 so I am going to use a CPA to sort it out.)
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 11:49 AM  
warriorprincess

I used Tax Slayer last year and was happy with it. I had been using Turbo Tax for decades, but they keep raising the price to where it's not worth it for me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 12:19 PM  
SpiritYogi

Thank you for the suggestion, BigBadBetty and warriorprincess. My annual income is (way) below the threshold so it would definitely be an option for me. I'll check it out.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 01:11 PM  
DCW

Your local government tax department may know nonprofit organizations that do free tax preparation or AARP may be a resource too. Some local government provide assistance to residents.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 08:33 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

My tax situation is almost identical to yours. I used Turbo Tax for several years but it was getting pricier and more difficult to use (and all the cutesy crap was annoying). Last year I used H&R Block and it was easy as pie. Not free, but better than some and far less frustrating and took far less time than Turbo Tax. I will use it again this year.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 09:16 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Just my experience, but I've found H&R Block to be very expensive for my tax return. I don't know if it's the location or my tax return that causes the high price at my local H&R Block but it got too pricey for me.

I used to do my own tax returns for many years with paper and pencil. Then I had investment income and things got too complicated/stressful for me so I used H&R block out of desperation 2-3 years in a row but I finally swore off them the last time 3-4 years ago due to the high cost. It was like every schedule/attachment that had to be added to my return, the price would go up another hundred dollars or something unexpected.

I now use my grandma's tax preparer. Her tax person is an hour away from me but we do everything through emails and an online portal. Cheaper and she actually explains things and looks me in the eye rather than at the computer screen. Still not as cheap as the places my uncle finds where he lives. He has a knack for finding good deals though.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-22, 12:39 PM  
Leonana

DH is an independent contractor, so free isn't an option, and I need the extra help. I was using Tax Act, and was happy with it. I thought Turbo Tax was cheaper, so used it last year and this year. But I don't think it was cheaper, and it was very glitchy this year. I won't return to Turbo Tax next year. Turbo Tax for Federal and State, with tax, was about $138. I checked Tax Slayer, and the price for both with tax is a little over $90. I think I will try them next year.
Old 02-22-22, 01:27 PM  
donnamp

This is a totally crazy question - but can you still file paper forms w/ the IRS? My DD has to do a return this year and she only worked PT and makes min wage. My DH and I use a CPA for our taxes - but I hate to pay to have my DD's taxes done by our CPA - his fee would probably be her refund. She is in college and claimed as a dependent on our returns. She just needs to file a 1040 EZ - can you still do it the old fashioned way?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-22, 01:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
This is a totally crazy question - but can you still file paper forms w/ the IRS? My DD has to do a return this year and she only worked PT and makes min wage. My DH and I use a CPA for our taxes - but I hate to pay to have my DD's taxes done by our CPA - his fee would probably be her refund. She is in college and claimed as a dependent on our returns. She just needs to file a 1040 EZ - can you still do it the old fashioned way?

Donna
yes you can. it may take a while before it is processed - i heard the IRS backlog is so behind that people who filed with a hardcopy from last tax season are currently getting "past due" letters in the mail!

if your DD feels comfortable, the IRS has a secure online filing option, and it's free. you won't need to mail in your W2 form, for example, if you can input the employer's info off of the W2.

for state, check to see whether she needs to file. her income might be so low that she could be exempt.

another option - ask your CPA how much extra they will charge for a 1040EZ.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, off-topic