Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-21, 07:35 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaW View Post
That's funny! I was just about to say the same thing but didn't want to offend any Americans! I have lived in BC, PEI, Ontario and now Nova Scotia, all of which I have loved and felt fairly safe in (not as much in the bigger cities, like Vancouver and Toronto). I highly recommend this beautiful country! For the same reasons listed above.
I love Canada! My dh and I got married in a small bed & breakfast on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It is gorgeous! We've also been to Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, and Halifax - all beautiful! Just this morning my husband mentioned that I need to get my passport renewed. Maybe we'll take another trip to Canada. But as another poster asked, can Americans even travel to Canada right now with the pandemic?
Old 06-07-21, 09:44 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Sherry, what about Santa Claus? LOL. Every time we’d drive to Phoenix and go through Santa Claus, I’d say that’s where I want to live some day.
There is a Santa Claus, Arizona? Shows what I know about my state! I looked it up, it seems to be on the way to Las Vegas. Wiki says it's an uninhabited desert place, pretty much a ghost town. I guess that knocks it out of the running for retirement, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I love Canada! My dh and I got married in a small bed & breakfast on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It is gorgeous! We've also been to Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, and Halifax - all beautiful! Just this morning my husband mentioned that I need to get my passport renewed. Maybe we'll take another trip to Canada. But as another poster asked, can Americans even travel to Canada right now with the pandemic?
I'd love to visit Vancouver Island. And the other places you listed. One day!

I think Canada is a wonderful place to live, but having spent most of my life in the desert, I don't think I can handle the winters!
Old 06-07-21, 10:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I live in Mission Viejo, CA, in Orange County, about an hour south of L.A. Mission Viejo often does appear on lists of top-10 safest places to live in America - for several years we were number 1 and 2, alternately, on somebody’s list but not sure which publication that was. I regularly walk through the neighborhood for about an hour at around 6 or 7 at night and always feel safe. Crime is very low and we love it here. There is another town, Irvine, about 10 miles north which is likewise quite peaceful. There are also some charming small beach towns - Laguna Beach, San Clemente, Del Mar, which seem to be peaceful and safe.
I live close to you in Irvine, CA. I feel very safe here and Irvine is often on someone's list of safe places to live.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:36 AM  
laurajhawk

Y'all made me look - the Canadian border is still closed to nonessential travel.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...h=3c25feca6563

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 10:39 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Canada is beautiful! We hope to get back there again some day.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 11:07 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Here's how they road rage in Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sio5xsICwcI
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 12:00 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
But as another poster asked, can Americans even travel to Canada right now with the pandemic?
Not yet, but it sounds like soon. Our vaccination rates are doing really well (we are at about 62% of the total population with one dose, second only to Israel among major countries. We overtook both the US and UK in the past week or so). Of course, not sure what the vaccination / testing / quarantine requirements for cross-border travel will be.

And yeah, our winters here can be pretty brutal, depending on what area of the country you live in. But a lot of people love it for the cross-country skiing / snowboarding / skating and other winter past times.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 01:01 PM  
warriorprincess

West Palm Beach here. So yeah, hot and humid 6 months out of the year. Near perfect weather the other half. But I detest cold weather with a passion, so I love it here. Also super diverse, I feel like it's one of the central melting pots of America. Big dance community, I can still scuba dive, there are Broadway shows, always something going on. I'm on 1.25 acre, with a fenced yard and big dogs so I feel safe.

Having to board up for hurricanes occasionally is a pain, but once we get too old, there are always young folks on Next Door volunteering to put them up for elderly people in my neighborhood. I'll also have to hire someone to do the yardwork eventually, but that's still cheaper than HOA fees in most places without a yard.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 04:18 PM  
Gams

After reading all the positive comments about Canada, I wrote to a Canadian friend of mine and asked him how he felt about living in Canada and he wrote back that when he retires, he and his wife want to move to the US. He did not elaborate- I’ll see if I can get more info from him.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 12:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
After reading all the positive comments about Canada, I wrote to a Canadian friend of mine and asked him how he felt about living in Canada and he wrote back that when he retires, he and his wife want to move to the US. He did not elaborate- I’ll see if I can get more info from him.
LOL! The grass is always greener!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you, relocating, retirement locations, where do you live