Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-03-22, 10:42 AM  
Izzy

Happy New Year. On the 31st I took another load to Goodwill. On the 1st while putting things away, I started a new pile/bag.

Then yesterday I organized my cabinet in the bathroom and threw out a lot of stuff and I am taking un-used medication to Walgreens for disposal. As the day went on, I realized how much more I want to get rid of. I have put myself on a no buy goal for at least for 6 months.

Take care.
Old 01-03-22, 12:56 PM  
BunnyHop

My decluttering efforts continue apace.

Something seems to have shifted for me, and I seem to be back in the groove after what felt like an eternity of inertia and frustration. Whew!!! Somehow the self care habits and organizational outlook have aligned so I'm making progress again.

Regularly updating and evaluating my methods seems to be key.
Lately I've been inspired by the idea that tidying, decluttering and cleaning are three totally different activities. Focusing on one at a time really makes the whole process go faster. And I usually start with decluttering, as in, getting rid of anything that needs to be thrown or given away. Clear that out, and see how things can be reorganized, etc.

My latest habit has been to just pick a spot, any spot, and declutter it for five minutes. Never mind the dust bunnies, just get rid of the excess and put things where they need to stay. That alone has made a HUGE difference in my outlook. This house is too big for me and I frequently get caught in overwhelm.

Another good habit seems to be going straight to the kitchen in the AM with my water glass from the night before and unloading/loading the dishwasher. Not starting the day in front of the oh, so tempting computer screen is helpful.

My Bujo habits seem to have also gotten a boost from my recent creation of my next notebook. Things worked out so I began the new year in a new notebook, so it was a good time to evaluate all my habits and see where I stand. Took a while, but it feels good now that it's mostly done. I've got a new seasonal review section (inspired by Youtuber Rachael Stephen), weeklies for PM reviews, a place to monitor my health and mood, and plenty of space for rolling daily notes, among other things. One thing I kept from my old journal was a place to keep track of things I order. Having one spot to keep an eye on deliveries (or delays) has been helpful.

Still working on general office paperwork, but I'm as prepared as I can be for my Thursday new patient visit to the endodontist (root canal? yikes.) and that feels like progress.

I'm working to clear the office desk by creating a dedicated place to play with journal-related washi-tape, pens, images, stencils and rubber stamps. My desk had become all but useless because I was trying to do too much in one place. Much better now, and it's only noon.
Old 01-03-22, 02:16 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
This is the greatest scanner of all time! ...
adawn! Wow! That is a mighty detailed review. I actually have this arriving from Amazon today. I'm sure your tips will prove invaluable! Thanks!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 02:50 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

Regularly updating and evaluating my methods seems to be key.
Lately I've been inspired by the idea that tidying, decluttering and cleaning are three totally different activities. Focusing on one at a time really makes the whole process go faster. And I usually start with decluttering, as in, getting rid of anything that needs to be thrown or given away. Clear that out, and see how things can be reorganized, etc.
Anna, I think I've identified in the past that they are three different activities but I don't think I've ever really let that sink in. Seeing you say it sort of made it solidify for me. I will use that distinction in tackling the house going forward! Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 08:28 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Anna, I think I've identified in the past that they are three different activities but I don't think I've ever really let that sink in. Seeing you say it sort of made it solidify for me. I will use that distinction in tackling the house going forward! Thanks!
Some of the declutter experts say it in varying ways. It's been really helpful to me.

Of course, having watched some pantry organization videos lately I just HAD to go see if the big Walmart near my sister's place really did have the storage bins the internet said they did (they didn't), so I went to the much nicer Target nearby and found some other things to try. Not as cheap, but at least it's a start.

I think my basic problem is that I was using bins that were mostly too small. I'm planning to group things in broad categories and store like items together so maybe I can condense things a bit and have some free space to just be free space. The just five minutes interludes have made a big difference, but now I'm curious to see what a concerted effort will accomplish.

I want to put down Contact paper where the shelves look grubby. Those marks are not coming out of the paint.

And another idea that I've found helpful is to think of your stuff as inventory. I've found it very helpful to figure out how many duplicates I have of each thing. It makes sorting out my absolute favorites so much easier so I can let go of the truly extra.
Old 01-03-22, 09:54 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
adawn! Wow! That is a mighty detailed review. I actually have this arriving from Amazon today. I'm sure your tips will prove invaluable! Thanks!
I am so glad you are liking the scanner Dawn. That was some review! You brought to light some things I didn't know for one thing creating the profile. I will have to put your post someplace I remember for future reference. Funny I am reading this now because I just got done scanning a few things.
Your comment about not keeping so many papers is true. As much as I have scanned, I still have a few file boxes of paperwork. I should go through them one of these days but it is not a high priority task right now. They are relatively tidy and I need to work on more visible clutter.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 09:57 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I started a thread for 2022 here:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232225
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter