Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-15-21, 09:11 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Just wanted to echo this. I'm making steady progress getting prepared to downsize. It seems neverending, but I can see that I've made big improvements.

My dad, it seems, was a packrat who never threw anything away.

Sure, some of the stuff is of sentimental or practical importance, and deserves to be retained, but a lot is just extra, and needs to go.
Congratulations. Often it is baby steps. The stuff we collect didn't just arrive in one day so it's going to take more than a day to get rid of it. But babysteps and consistency helps.

Being consistent helps not only in removing items I no longer need but makes me think harder when I go to purchase something. I really want an air fryer. Everyone tells me how they are so good. But I have no storage in my kitchen, few cabinet space and less counter space. I may really want that air fryer but there is no place to put it. Trying to be consistent in making my life more simple I am taking time to rethink purchases.
Old 12-15-21, 11:31 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
So the project got broken up out of necessity. A few years ago when tackling my pantry I decided to do one shelf or cabinet at a time and that helped me get started. Seeing one shelf tidied helped motivate me to start another one at a later date.
This is the only way I can feel any success with the daunting projects. Drawer by drawer, shelf by shelf, box by box,

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-21, 01:57 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Being consistent helps not only in removing items I no longer need but makes me think harder when I go to purchase something. I really want an air fryer. Everyone tells me how they are so good. But I have no storage in my kitchen, few cabinet space and less counter space. I may really want that air fryer but there is no place to put it. Trying to be consistent in making my life more simple I am taking time to rethink purchases.
Mary, I'm trying to use this way of thinking/rethinking as well. One of my goals is to reduce how much plastic we use that cannot be recycled and has minimal ways to repurpose/reuse. It shocks me sometimes how much plastic we take to recycling. I'm trying to make more of our meals from scratch instead of the convenience route(DH is hooked on some convenience things). Also some of the meals I'm making I can freeze in reusables for later is helping as well.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-21, 08:50 PM  
DCW

I am now motivated to prep for this weekend meals and get creative with some leftovers.
Decluttering the frig!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-21, 11:59 AM  
Vantreesta

I am setting some decluttering goals for 2022. So far I have:

Donate smthg to the thrift store each month

Read and donate 6 books for the year (I don't get to read often and many by favorite authors I want to keep, so this is to motivate me to read ones I don't plan to keep)

Finally get the spare room of dumping usable again and keep it that way, which will require finding better ways to store my yarn

Get my clothes and shoes organized and under control

Before each monthly big grocery trip, clean out fridge and pantry
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-21, 12:15 PM  
sherry7899

Vantreesta, I need to do your last one. I took inventory of my freezer and pantry and made a list. I vowed to try and cook from what I already have and just fill in produce, milk, eggs and bread as necessary for as long as possible.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-21, 12:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sherry - I would go through our deep freezer, except I'm afraid that there might be food shortages with the pandemic surging again.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-21, 12:59 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Sherry - I would go through our deep freezer, except I'm afraid that there might be food shortages with the pandemic surging again.

I totally understand. We have plenty of food on hand. I always stay stocked up.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-21, 01:03 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Vantreesta, I need to do your last one. I took inventory of my freezer and pantry and made a list. I vowed to try and cook from what I already have and just fill in produce, milk, eggs and bread as necessary for as long as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I totally understand. We have plenty of food on hand. I always stay stocked up.
I need to clean out and clean the freezers too but that wouldn't need to be monthly for us. When I make the menu I try to remember to check what's in the freezer and plan accordingly but don't always think of it. Both freezers really need to be organized again.

The pantry usually stays pretty organized but right now the baking stuff and my teas are pretty chaotic. Too much of both, I'm sure. The teas keep falling out when I pull out that drawer.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-21, 04:24 PM  
Izzy

Well this conversation about the refrigerator....my son stayed with me for 2 weeks as his car was being worked on. My refrigerator is not very big so it doesn't take much to fill it up. Well one day he decided there was not enough room for all of his "health drinks" so he cleaned out my refrigerator and threw away all my "expired" stuff. Then he text me a picture. I was like "wait, what...no, that is not expired..that isn't either...bring me back my mustard." Where as I appreciated the gesture, he threw away a lot of stuff, mostly condiments, that probably wasn't expired. Then he had plenty of room for his health drinks.

I wish I had a freezer. My freezer is really small and doesn't hold much. I don't have a pantry either. So I can't really store that much in my kitchen which maybe is a good thing.

If I don't get back here, everyone have a joyful, healthy, clutter free, Holiday season.

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter