Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-21, 10:02 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
... it was a panel interview with structured questions.
Interesting! I guess they want to see how different people perceive the same questions?

And Hurrah for you! An actual interview. My imagination seizes up at the very idea of getting a resume together.
Old 08-12-21, 11:37 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
the interview was okay. my biggest fear was being perceived as too old.

it was a panel interview with structured questions.
When will you know if you got the job?

I finally got around to rounding up all my old electronics for recycling. I'd been meaning to do this for way too long. An old fax machine, scanner, etc. The county has a monthly electronics and battery recycling program.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 11:58 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
This is awesome, Jeannine! Hoping it goes well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Fingers crossed!!! Getting an interview is fantastic!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
That sounds nerve-racking
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Interesting! I guess they want to see how different people perceive the same questions?

And Hurrah for you! An actual interview. My imagination seizes up at the very idea of getting a resume together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
When will you know if you got the job?
thanks everyone. they only told me it was a panel interview while i was waiting. i quickly had a flash-back to when i was in high school applying for a scholarship that included a panel interview. i was 17 YO and that was pretty scary because some of the questions were out of the blue and i had no way to prepare for it. i've also been a panelist in a job interview so i had some experience on what to expect. i also started to worry about what the panelists might have seen in my application, including minimum salary level that is a required field on the online application.

i came early, but they were still getting the room organized. i sat in the waiting area for about 20 min, including the 5-10 of time i came early, so they were late! i took the time to mentally go over "Hard Questions Asked in A Job Interview" that i had googled the day before! there was one interview before mine. i knew this because they gave me the choice of one of the 4 slots, and i took the 2nd one from the first day. i figured that by then, they might have their act together (even though i didn't know it was a panel). i had the choice of a virtual interview or in-person, and i chose in-person. glad i did it in person. the "4 slots" might signify that they're at least looking at 4 candidates.

time frame is they hope to make any offer by mid-September. they said they had been short-handed for months and finally got the approval to hire a permanent person. they're in a hiring freeze at the university.

i'm going to continue filing job applications at the University to keep me occupied.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 02:16 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
the interview was okay. my biggest fear was being perceived as too old.

it was a panel interview with structured questions.
Typically they do panel interviews to ween out the C candidates. I have been a couple of these and they are awkward to say the least. There is always one candidate who wants to monopolize, one who repeats what everyone else says and one who is just plain annoying. I did a panel interview for a PT job at a Nike store. I knew early on I was in but that poor kid next to me, honestly every answer he just buried himself. So I started to help him. The manager thought that was cute, nice of me. Afterwards, he said I got the job but they had to officially inform me. I asked about the kid next to me and he said "well before you helped him, no way but maybe." They did switch things up and had us ask each other questions which I thought was clever.

If you thought you were old??? Sheesh, the average age in that panel was 18 and I was 60. And then at our bootcamp our first day they all looked at me like I was their mother, or grandmother. I had to make a joke of it just to break the ice. In the end, most of them liked me and when I left were sad to see me leave.

This type of interview is uncomfortable but they are really looking for individualism, able to think on your feet, and how you would respond to situations. I would be very surprised if they hired anyone just from that panel. I think they would bring back the stronger candidates for a second interview.

I am sure you did well. But good you continue to search and apply. It's never good to feel you nailed it, wasted time and don't get the job. Keep us posted.
Old 08-12-21, 03:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Izzy, OMG, that Nike experience.... you are awesome to have endured that!

the format for my panel interview was less grueling compared to your Nike one - that there were 5 employees interviewing just me. each of them was following the script of 20 questions, round-robin style.

my experience of being a panelist was similar - except i was one of 4 people in the same room asking the one candidate a set of questions. in that one, the candidate had to do a writing sample immediately after we asked the questions. in that experience, we narrowed it down to 3 candidates, so as panelists, we only had to do it 3x.

edited to add and tips:
i colored my hair on sunday because my roots were showing! also googled for tips, and one of them was make sure these are updated (assuming you've picked out your outfit, which has many tips on the web):
purse
shoes

first of all, i had to LOCATE my pumps because i packed them away during the pandemic! and my 'everyday purse' was a little to casual, so i had to find one in my closet, and, back on topic, is LOADED with clutter. found some bags that i should donate. the bag i selected was NEW WITH TAGs. ack!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 08-12-21, 05:00 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:

first of all, i had to LOCATE my pumps because i packed them away during the pandemic! and my 'everyday purse' was a little to casual, so i had to find one in my closet, and, back on topic, is LOADED with clutter. found some bags that i should donate. the bag i selected was NEW WITH TAGs. ack!
I can SO relate to this experience!!!

I've never been one to get rid of clothing just because I hadn't worn it in 5 years, so I've held on to some stuff that doesn't suit my current lifestyle just because it's well made, it still fits, and if I need to get dressed like a grown up all of a sudden, I find it reassuring that I have at least a few options in the closet.
Old 08-21-21, 05:00 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i decluttered 2 drawers in the kitchen.

i need to drop off a bag of stuff at the thrift store.

Old 08-21-21, 07:16 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Nice decluttering day today! DH took a pretty good load to the landfill of unusable's: three very old cotton woven throw rugs that were beyond cleaning as they were fraying from being worked over by our new pup(now 8 months old ) a time or two, a 12x12 type pillow that had developed a hernia from new puppy, a wedge pillow that was not a casualty of pupster but we just didn't use and the cover had a busted zipper. I couldn't find a replacement cover. Also an old mattress that was used for puppy to sleep(chew) on while I was on my computer. We didn't love those things anyway but we do love puppy!

I also got some more shelf space in a kitchen cabinet by getting some expired items gone and a few more items into the thrift shop box. I got a lot of corrugated cardboard boxes broken down and ready for recycling as well as some grocery bags to go back to their recycling bin at the grocery store. Yay! Feeling productive and seeing more space as a result of some of these things gone.

Penny K I checked out the Mr. Money Moustache link. Wow! He's got a very robust following. His forum is quite active with just about everything you can imagine. Thanks for the share.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 09:25 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 09:28 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

actually sold two things on ebay! dropped off a few things at goodwill.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter