Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-20, 11:00 AM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
BUT I must confess I've been following this thread like a greedy little goose. I'm salivating at the thought of what you all might post on the Share the Wealth threads in the next few months.
Ha! Ha! Same here!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 11:13 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
Ha! Ha! Same here!
Add me in, hah!!!

But seriously, I've done the purge many times, with each major move, and I've never regretted it as much as I have in this last couple of years. I've reacquired an embarrassing amount of what I previously purged. That being said, there are probably some things that need to go (maybe) and I'm loving the organizational ideas in this thread!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 11:42 AM  
wendug

I'm constantly dwindling my DVD collection down. I live in a small house with not much storage space so I'm always in a state of "do I really need this?" with everything. I buy a lot of my workout DVD's at thrift stores, so after trying them if I don't like them they end up going back to the thrift store. No huge loss. I'm lucky that the thrift stores around me have had some good finds! Yes, I have reacquired some workouts, but not many over the years.

And count me on as someone who is interesting in seeing what others are decluttering!
Old 12-18-20, 11:44 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Because off how my brain works, I have to cut down collections

I tend to feel guilty when I look at large piles of things I bought and never use. So for me getting rid of excess helped me use what I have without guilt. This also applies to clothes and crafting (yarn and fabric)
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 11:51 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

+ 4 (or 5) of those who want to see what you might sell/share!!

I have been looking at my collection and I know there are some that I want to get rid of since, well, I hate them.

I've been trying to come up with a system to declutter my world as a whole, and so far I've barely scraped the surface. DVDs are kind of far down on the list at this point but I am loving the suggestions and FOLV, your list is awesomely helpful!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 11:56 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela View Post
This also applies to clothes and crafting (yarn and fabric)
I guess it's not allowed to put yarn up on the Share the Wealth thread, huh?
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 01:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i welcome everyone to join our decluttering check-in, or even lurk there. if you click on the tags of this thread, you will see the 2020 decluttering check in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
Totally! Unless they are just awful or you don’t have the space and need to pare down, I’d keep them. I’ve regretted getting rid of workouts so many times that I just keep the batch I have currently ....I think I’m up to 1200 or so now, but I do have the storage space for them.
what a relief - i am in the same boat. however:
1) i have gotten rid of some that i just knew weren't for me
2) despite #1, i have re-acquired a few which i can count on 1 hand
3) to prevent #2, i tend to "collect" certain instructors where i feel i need the whole set. Only Leslie and Classic Firms fit into this category and a few more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Denise,
I suggest you try the old trick I did with my children. I boxed up and hid toys so that they were out of sight. If they never missed them, then out the door they went. But if they suddenly missed or needed them, they would be rescued from toy purgatory.

You could try a workout purgatory initially and see how that feels?

(I am constantly purging workouts using this method and it works great for me.)
i have a similar approach - i tend to put some in long-term storage and have my virgins nearby. in 2020, it's been a Virgin Year, and believe me, 2021 is looking to be the same - Virgin Year The Sequel!!!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 03:57 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Quote:
I guess it's not allowed to put yarn up on the Share the Wealth thread, huh?
LOL!

The good yarn I kept - it was just lots of stuff I bought for a dollar that turned out to be crap.

Now I'm the 'mom who gets it' when I offer to send yarn to them at college.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 07:24 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Moving IS a huge motivator. When we left Hawaii to return to the mainland two years ago, I spent months sorting, decluttering, selling, giving away or donating a whole lot of stuff including exercise DVDs and VHS. I was a little too ruthless with some of my kitchen decluttering but it really doesn't make sense to pay to ship ALL the cast iron lol.

Once I decided which DVDs I wanted to keep, I bought a 100-disk capacity wallet and got rid of all the cases. I kept things like the lists of episodes on my CS seasons and a couple others for Jessica S sets. I just counted and I currently have 84 DVDs and 10 VHS. Some of those I'll be getting rid of--the FIRM is no longer in my life as it aggravates a hip issue I have, and I only have a few of those. I also no longer have my weights and I missed those since our "adult community" gym has been closed. But I, too, am doing a lot of walking outdoors, pool exercise, and YouTube videos so my dvds don't get the attention they used to.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 11:16 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Well, I've pruned my DVD collection many times over the year. I currently have a great collection, heavy on T-Tapp, Leslie & other walking workouts, CS/Essentrics, and various pilates. I have a few weighted workouts.

BUT I must confess I've been following this thread like a greedy little goose. I'm salivating at the thought of what you all might post on the Share the Wealth threads in the next few months.

And I want to know which Goodwill Leonana frequents, because I can never find workout dvds when I go to thrift shops.
Lol. I’m on the east side of the Phoenix metro area. Most I find I’m not interested in, a lot of Gaiam yoga and Pilates, and Jillian Michaels. But I have found three Leslies and one KCM that I’ve kept. That’s new, I haven’t seen those dvds before. I wonder if people are streaming and getting rid of more dvds.

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, dvd collection, dvd inventory, large collection, minimizing, purging, purging dvds, sellers remorse