Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-19, 02:51 PM  
JustSandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I agree. If I can't work until 70, I can always take my SSN and pension earlier and draw from my rollover IRA.
Sounds good!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 03:30 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It's always good to have a Plan B.

I have always differentiated between working for a career and working for a job, something to do. I'm pretty much over my career, but want to have a good job for where I am now. My hat is off to you to have started your own company/consultancy. I tried that once and it did not go well, but admire those who can do it.

As part of your second act, has anyone done anything online - blog, online classes, etc.? It's something I'm considering trying to get going for some passive income. It would be a big undertaking, but something I'm interested in trying.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 05:18 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
I definitely respect your decision, and if you can do that it will maximize your retirement income. I am hoping to work until age 70 at my part-time job. However, I would also encourage everyone to have a "Plan B" just in case working until age 70 turns out to not be feasible. Even the healthiest person can have an unexpected illness or injury (an older coworker once told me that while she was strong and healthy in her 50s, once she turned 60 everything started breaking down!). A family crisis might pull you out of the workforce. Companies can lay off workers for a variety of reasons, and getting a new job in your 60s can be problematic. There could be an economic downturn. Or any of us could just wake up one morning and realize we simply can't stand the thought of continuing the 9 to 5 grind anymore!

Just my two cents.
Completely agree. I've known quite a few people who were banking (literally) on longevity because they had relatives who lived to be old, but it didn't work out the way they planned. It's not a guarantee of anything. I've also known too many people who didn't live long enough to see retirement or retired at an older age and died soon after. One of my former managers retired at 69 and died at 70 of a massive stroke.
Old 03-10-19, 05:27 PM  
Carol K

My husband is year and a half younger than I am and he hates his job, so I want him to be able to retire before me. I love my job, so I'm willing to work until 70. I did not feel the same way about my previous job. I was planning on retiring early.
Old 03-10-19, 06:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
One of my former managers retired at 69 and died at 70 of a massive stroke.
this happens frequently, or they suddenly incur an illness. this happened to another former co-worker. he didn't have a plan B - he was expecting to be able to teach rowing and within a month after retiring, he started to have heart problems.

based on this, there are many studies that prove that being engaged in something has health benefits, such as working or your job. if you plan to retire, you need to plan to be engaged in something, both mentally and physically. the Blue Zones project mentions that engagement/purpose is one of the key factors in longevity in centenarians.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 08:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've worked in the legal field most of my career - from word processor (remember those?), then paralegal, now I work in a court. I plan to type transcripts at home when I semi-retire, or I may do some part-time law firm gig like organizing discovery.

I'm just a person that needs to go to work. If all else fails, I'll volunteer somewhere. A friend volunteers at the aquarium and is head over heels about her "job" now.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 08:12 AM  
Carol K

I'm like that too. I work from home 3 days a week and 2 days in the office. But even when I work from home, I get up early and take a shower first and am just as much in work mode as when I drive in to work. When I was laid off and before I started school, I volunteered at a pet shelter.
Old 03-11-19, 09:18 AM  
Ann1964

I have worked in I.T in a hospital for almost 30 years. I am working 4 more years & maybe find a fun part time job
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 04:25 PM  
diggerholliday

I have been a teacher now for 20 years, half of my adult life and I'm ready for something new. I just need to figure out what that is and if I'll regret it. I just need to turn off my brain about work and not feel guilty about it.

All of your stories have been very inspirational. This couldn't have come at a better time for me. Hope to hear more.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 04:39 PM  
Vantreesta

I agree. I am really enjoying reading everyone's responses.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, retirement