Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-19, 12:55 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
My last full time job was working as an administrative assistant for the business manager of a public high school district in a suburb of Chicago. The job started out fine, but then I was appointed the Freedom of Information Act officer and my time spent talking to school lawyers and news organizations skyrocketed. A horrible school board was voted in and I had 3 different bosses within 6 months and would soon start a 4th boss. I was so stressed and hated it that I left. But I'm glad you like your business manager position. I'm sure it is different than working for a public school district.

Since leaving that position I've been selling my mosaics on Etsy and doing petsitting/dog walking to get some extra cash. I'm much happier now, but I'm a starving artist. I need to go back to working for someone else but I have no idea what to do. My husbands job has erratic hours and he has to travel with little notice sometimes so I'll have to factor that in to my job search. This thread is giving me hope that at 46 I'll find a job that I love.
it is worlds different than working for a public school system. The state does not regulate us and neither does the federal government. We answer to our Board of Trustees (appointed) and our accrediting agency (private).

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-19, 06:07 PM  
Poodlepants

I am an MSW, but I just did a video interview for a flight attendant position yesterday. I'm waiting to hear if I get a face to face interview. I've always wanted to be flight attendant, but the time was never right. My son graduates HS next year, so he's pretty independent.
Old 03-09-19, 11:50 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlepants View Post
I am an MSW, but I just did a video interview for a flight attendant position yesterday. I'm waiting to hear if I get a face to face interview. I've always wanted to be flight attendant, but the time was never right. My son graduates HS next year, so he's pretty independent.
Wow, that's cool! Good for you.
Old 03-10-19, 08:07 AM  
Hsim

Interesting thread. I love to hear people's thoughts about their jobs.
I have been working in finance and accounting for almost 40 years. Currently I am an accounting manager at a public company. Can't stand it - I never have a minute to breathe. January through April is the worst.
I am planning to retire within 2 years and I would love to find something to do part time to earn some money. I am thinking of dog walking or helping other people manage their finances.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 11:37 AM  
JustSandra

I spent 20+ years working as a legal secretary and paralegal, and by my late 40's I was seriously burned out. I knew I needed to work at something different but had no idea what that could be. I went to my local library and, while standing in line with a bunch of books on career change waiting to check out, I saw a sign advertising openings for Library Assistant. It was a lightbulb moment!

I applied and got a half-time position. Needless to say, money got extremely tight and I had to make many adjustments. However, I love my job and love working part time. My stress level dropped something like 90%. Fortunately, although half-time, I get money towards benefits like health insurance (I still have to pay some out of pocket). As far as finances, I try to look on living with a reduced income as a creative challenge. I found I had enough for my needs and for most of my "wants."

I will confess that I made the decision to start taking Social Security benefits at age 62. Despite what I wrote above, after 15+ years on a half-time salary things were getting a little too squeezed for comfort. Even taking early Social Security you can still earn up to a certain amount without penalty, and so far it is working out. When I do retire I'll have a small pension and also access to a retirement savings account which will help offset the lower Social Security payment.

I'll never be rich, but I'm happy!

Best of luck to those contemplating a career change. I appreciate everyone who is sharing their story.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 12:29 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post

I will confess that I made the decision to start taking Social Security benefits at age 62. .
I did this, or, rather, am in the process of doing this. I will get my first SS payment in a few months.

I did tons of research, and when I realized that I would have to live into my early 80s before I broke even with the larger payment, I decided to take it now.

I retired from my major career six years ago. I can live on my pension, and the money I make from my consultancy, but I like the idea of socking my SS away in investments of my own choosing, just in case.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 12:51 PM  
Carol K

I'm expecting to live into my 90s, so I'm planning to work until I'm 70 and delay taking social security and my pension until then too.
Old 03-10-19, 01:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
but I like the idea of socking my SS away in investments of my own choosing, just in case.
this is a great point.

i am fortunate that i work for a company that provides a pension, and if i retire now, i am eligible to start receiving distributions. a former co-worker of mine did this, and we're the same age and had the same # of years of service. she got another job, and in our state, pension distributions are state tax-free. in our company, if you are eligible to collect a pension, the amount of the distribution is the same whether you retire now or in 10 years. therefore, you'd end up gaining by retiring since the pension would be state tax-free.

by getting another job like she did, she is still maintaining her level of income, if not increasing it even if she earns slightly less than what she was making in her former career.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 01:55 PM  
JustSandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I'm expecting to live into my 90s, so I'm planning to work until I'm 70 and delay taking social security and my pension until then too.
I definitely respect your decision, and if you can do that it will maximize your retirement income. I am hoping to work until age 70 at my part-time job. However, I would also encourage everyone to have a "Plan B" just in case working until age 70 turns out to not be feasible. Even the healthiest person can have an unexpected illness or injury (an older coworker once told me that while she was strong and healthy in her 50s, once she turned 60 everything started breaking down!). A family crisis might pull you out of the workforce. Companies can lay off workers for a variety of reasons, and getting a new job in your 60s can be problematic. There could be an economic downturn. Or any of us could just wake up one morning and realize we simply can't stand the thought of continuing the 9 to 5 grind anymore!

Just my two cents.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 02:06 PM  
Carol K

I agree. If I can't work until 70, I can always take my SSN and pension earlier and draw from my rollover IRA.

Tags
career, career advice, retirement