Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-17, 07:42 PM  
lizh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri1222 View Post
Great question!

I'm 57 now and a few years ago I decided to let my hair go gray.

Terri
Hi Terry,
I have gone gray as well. However, I found a great stylist who gives me a great cut every 5/6 weeks and I tip her very handsomely!

It is a bit of concern of mine as well (especially since my strengths are in websites/social media etc.) But I am determined to lose ten pounds and feel great and as you say, it is really all about attitude!

Thank you for all your advice and experience everyone!
Liz

Demeris ...I just ordered that shampoo! VF always seems to lighten my pockets!!
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 08:48 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I went back to work at 50 after 16 years as a stay-at-home mom. I'm engineer... my first thought was impossible! People who know you do good work will hire you. Send out resume, and network, network, network.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 11:33 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I'm in a slightly different position. But, I will be 64 in August and have been working at the same hospital for the last 18 years, in the same job for the last 12 years. I am the only one who does my job at the hospital and it is specialized andcrucial for the safety of our patients and to maintain our accreditation.

But I'm really ready for a change.

So after trying out a different position--Hospice nurse--and loving it, I'm taking the plunge and resigning from the hospital this week. Hospice really wants me and the work is so rewarding. They came looking for me!

I know nursing is a special case, but it's never too late to make a change. And I have to admit I haven't given a single thought to my hair color. That said, it's 50/50 dark blonde/silver. I find it disappointing that women have to worry about whether or not their hair is gray in the corporate world. Do men have the same worries? Doesn't seem that way to me.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 07:37 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I took a downsizing/severance package from my corporate position two years ago, at the age of 58. I needed to continue working, but not at the same pay scale. Some thoughts to consider:
  • I wanted to go into the outdoor/nature education field for the second phase of my life. I took classes, volunteered, and worked a part-time position in order to get the skills and to get my foot in the door a few years before quitting my corporate job. When a package was offered, I was ready. I ended up exactly where I want to be.
  • I now have two part-time jobs. I love both of them. Much less stress than my corporate job. But something to consider - working part-time jobs means no accumulated vacation time, no sick leave, no medical benefits. Though I love what I'm doing, I am probably working as many hours as my corporate job, but with no scheduled down time. That really wears on me.
  • I think you really have to evaluate the pro's and con's of each position. The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but it's not 100% unicorns & sunshine.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 10:13 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Here's another spin on this thread....... I'm 55. My husband and I have had our own business for the last 18 years, but it's pretty much kaput now. I am lucky enough to not to have to work, but I think I will be crazy if I don't. I'm actually contemplating going back to school to become a nutrition therapist. How crazy is that at 55? I'm really torn. I could "just" do volunteer work but there's something appealing about the idea of "going back to school". I guess I am afraid that if life gets in the way, I would shortchange it and it would all be a waste. Also not sure if anyone would hire me at the end of it (at my age and new to the field).
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 11:21 AM  
Kizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I'm in a slightly different position. But, I will be 64 in August and have been working at the same hospital for the last 18 years, in the same job for the last 12 years. I am the only one who does my job at the hospital and it is specialized andcrucial for the safety of our patients and to maintain our accreditation.

But I'm really ready for a change.

So after trying out a different position--Hospice nurse--and loving it, I'm taking the plunge and resigning from the hospital this week. Hospice really wants me and the work is so rewarding. They came looking for me!

I know nursing is a special case, but it's never too late to make a change. And I have to admit I haven't given a single thought to my hair color. That said, it's 50/50 dark blonde/silver. I find it disappointing that women have to worry about whether or not their hair is gray in the corporate world. Do men have the same worries? Doesn't seem that way to me.
I just asked my husband why he wants me to keep my hair colored but yet he thinks nothing of his staying gray. His quote, "Because I am the stem and you are the flower". How sweet is that?! He can be such a goober.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 11:41 AM  
Fitstick

I think it depends on the job market in your area as well as your skill set, and your area of expertise. I also feel that age discrimination is real in the corporate world, I know some well qualified individuals who have struggled to find work in their 50's and 60's. Some companies would rather hire someone with less experience because their salary requirements are lower and maybe they like the idea of molding them-- I'm not sure all of the reasons but the discrimination definitely happens. I also think that you are deemed more desirable by employers if you already have a job while you are looking. I was recently impacted by a restructuring and never had such challenges getting a new comparable job, people's ears seem to perk up when I say that I am currently not working although restructuring is a fact of life around here. However, I am located in Silicon Valley and competition is always pretty stiff around here unless you have a very unique skill set. That is my 2 cents. If you really need to work, I'd recommend looking before you leave your current job.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 06:44 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I am 50 and started getting gray hair in my early 20's, but I didn't start coloring it until about 5 years ago. I hate coloring it, mainly because it's expensive and doesn't last long so I'm considering letting it go gray and seeing what happens. I work with a few women who have done the same, but most of them are close to retirement so maybe they don't care anymore, lol.

Like the OP, I also work for a non-profit. If I was at that level, I wouldn't leave unless the situation is unbearable. I've been at my non-profit for 11 years and started looking for a new job a few months ago just to see what's out there, and there wasn't much. I went on a few interviews just to get the cobwebs out since I hadn't interviewed in so long, but I wasn't offered anything. I then realized that I'm better off staying where I am, at least for now. But it really depends on your skills and what is available in your area.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 07:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I still have my present job, which I love and hope never to leave. But I have a game plan in place should a lay-off occur. I plan to volunteer at the local hospital, which has a volunteer program, and expand my network of contacts. I would like to eventually do an administrative job at the hospital if I lose this one.

Alternatively, I would seek out a part-time job in a law firm to give me a refresher course on e-filings and new court rules and procedures that have been enacted since I left 15 years ago. Lawyers are always looking for someone to work part-time on the cheap, so that's a possibility while I look for another job and refresh my paralegal skills.

As has been mentioned, you have a better chance if you are presently working and/or volunteering. I am almost 58 and the area I live in is still economically repressed, so I would also pray a lot.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:40 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I went back to work at 50 after 16 years as a stay-at-home mom. I'm engineer... my first thought was impossible! People who know you do good work will hire you. Send out resume, and network, network, network.
Very similar situation here. I went back to work at 51 after 22 years as a SAHM and freelance editor. I thought I had a snowball's chance in hell of finding a halfway decent job at my age. I was newly divorced and envisioned myself eating tuna fish in a cold room for the rest of my life. Luckily, the freelance work dovetailed nicely with the job, and my clients gave me great recommendations. It depends on the field, but some employers value age and experience over youth and the bottom line.

That was 12 years ago now. If I ever lost this job (not likely, but I always have a Plan B), I'd go back to freelancing. I still do a little freelance work so that I'll have a client base once I retire from my FT job. I do have my hair colored, but I'll probably go back to my natural color after I retire.

So yes, network, network, network. And always have a Plan B.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageism, career, career advice, over 50, retirement