Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-14, 09:36 AM  
sewoodson
VF Supporter

Good Resume and Interview Books

Hello,

Sorry for the off topic but I need help.

I know that I am going to be let go soon from my job. They are moving 90% of the work to low cost locations. I haven't had to search for a job for 20 years so I'm kind of at a loss. Can someone please provide good books that I can check out for resume writing and interviewing?

Thanks in advance.
sewoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 09:52 AM  
cyana

Stephanie - Sorry to hear about your employment situation. I've found the internet to be a great resource, as you can find many examples of resumes and letter writing for free. Also, if you're going to interview at a specific company, you can research them online so you'll have questions for the interviewer. Be making lists of your skills, training and strengths. Keep a notebook handy so you can jot things down as they come to mind. Then you'll have the brainstorming out of the way when you're ready to compose your resume. Be thinking of who you want to use as references, and ask their permission and get their current contact information.

By chance, will your current employer offer any assistance with updating resumes and current job search strategies? That is a fairly common resource these days.

It's a very different world out there (I've been working since the late 70's) with nearly everything being done electronically versus by mail. For my past two jobs, the entire application process was done on line...you even upload your resume electronically.

Best of luck to you.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 10:45 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

This thread from a few years ago seems to have some good advice.
Off-Topic: I'M LOSING MY JOB - COULD USE SOME ADVICE

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 11:36 AM  
bubbles76

I don't have any suggestions for resume writing or interviews, but I wanted to say don't overlook the federal government for job possibilities. Some people overlook working for the public sector, but it is very rewarding and more secure than most private sector work.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 02:51 PM  
kimzwirez

Hi Stephanie, so sorry about your impending job loss. I lost my job a year ago when my company moved production to China. One thing that you need to find out is HAS YOUR COMPANY APPLIED FOR FEDERAL TRADE ACT assistance? The employees can get assistance through this federal program if the company moves production to a foreign country. Go to the nearest state sponsored employment agency and find out if you are eligible for trade act funding, or if the company has filed for it. If you can get that you can go back to school to gain new skills and trade act pays for it, as well as paying unemployment to you while you are in school. There are also other benefits which are available. The job service office can explain it to you. If they aren't eligible, your job service office can also give you free help in preparing a resume and they should be able to do testing for you to find out what your strengths are and what kind of jobs would be a good fit for you. Good luck with your job search. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or just to let me know how it's going. Kim
kimzwirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 03:46 PM  
Sollamyn

If you are a college graduate, check out your alma mater for a career services office. You may be eligible for their services, especially if you are a member of your alma mater's alumni association. Sometimes there is a small fee involved for some services offered through these offices, but it may be well worth it for their expert guidance.

Good luck!

Donna
Old 09-08-14, 05:34 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Hi
I would suggest finding out if your area has a branch of the Five O'clock Club. This is a networking group that will give you contacts and excellent job search advice. The books published by the same group are also excellent. Check out your local library. They often have good books and other career resources. Best of luck!

I forgot to ask what field you are in. There are often job- specific networking groups out there. For example, for finance people there is FENG (Financial Execs Networking Group).
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 07:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry about your situation. gosh!

good replies so far (federal govt, college career office).

book - What Color is Your Parachute?

it gets updated every year, and your library probably carries it.

i just read in the Wall St. Journal that there is a shortage of available applicants in general, and the stock market is currently bullish. this may bode well for you, depending on the industry where you are seeking a job.

nowadays, all submissions are done online. i would also seek the help of a good headhunter - ask your friends for referrals of headhunters. a good headhunter will help you update your resume, and can also connect you with available job openings. note that headhunters are not the same as employment agencies - the corporation looking for an applicant will pay the fee to the headhunter, not you.

despite the internet being the primary portal of job applicants, companies still use headhunters to help filter and select applicants.

good luck, and keep us posted if you can.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 07:55 PM  
pbnj

The website askamanager.org has good advice for interviewing, resumes, and various work situations. If you click on the topic, resumes on the right side, there are many good q&a's. On Fridays, there is a work-related open thread if you had a certain question.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 08:42 PM  
TinierTina

Shorten and/or dumb down the resume if you need

I am looking for work. Be sure to get your resume critiqued. I did from a friend of the family, no less, and then later, went one better and kinda dumbed it down and shortened it. The moment I did, I started getting more nibbles on the bigger job sites. They are from agencies and mostly for "temp to perm" ... but it's a start.
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, interview, lost job, resume, retirement