Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-14, 10:23 AM  
lrb04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
Thanks Fran! I don't have a lot to purge but I have a few that fall into the above categories or shelf sitters as someone else mentioned. I agree with some of your categories too, no high impact for me, in fact I have gotten rid of a lot of step workouts this year. I still enjoy it and do it but oddly my favorite step videos are some of my old VHS anyway. Same with ab workouts, I only have one but I never do it. I have a couple sets that I rarely do but yet I am hesitant to part with them. Doesn't make much sense.

I appreciate your insight though. I know that you are/were a big Firm fan so I was curious if you kept them or not. I still have my Firms but not tons. I will always have some Firms though.

Tara~ When I am done going through all my Firms which should be in the beginning of next month & I will private message you with what is left. I also let lots of stepping ones go & before I started in January I had all that was available retail except current system & Allie's box step one! on abs ones & never doing them really!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 12:05 PM  
old lady

I'm glad to see this thread. I'm on vacation this week and realized that I am on my way to being a hoarder. I like to knit and have a s*&(load of yarn. I also have a ton of exercise dvds that I never do. About six months ago, I put a bunch of workouts in some plastic storage bins in my closet and I haven't once thought of pulling any of them out. I have about 200 that are going to Goodwill tomorrow. I wanted to take them to the library, but I don't have a car and Goodwill is just across the street. Now I have extra space and storage bins to store my overflowing yarn stash, but I plan on whittling that down a bit. I could probably not buy any more yarn ever and not get close to using it all up.
old lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 12:09 PM  
marmact

I personally have a mental problem with clutter. I don't like to see it and I don't like to know that it's hidden behind doors. We're in the process of decluttering the worst part of our house this summer (been here 15 years and it definitely shows). It's really difficult, but it feels great to re-home stuff that doesn't have value and is never going to make it back into the living space. The hardest part for me are those items with sentimental value. I still have a couple of containers of baby clothes (my baby is 15, LOL) and artwork from their school years. I'm hanging onto that stuff for now, but I'm at least getting rid of old school papers and that sort of thing. Baby steps.

I find workout videos easy peasy to declutter compared to life stuff!
Old 07-10-14, 02:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I've recently been emptying my mother's house. She lived there about 55 years. I've found unfinished sewing projects I started when I was 10!! Like a horse head 8x10 tapestry, notepads of airmail rice paper from a hotel we stayed in during the 1970s, my school exercise books from my 8year old days.... It was ridiculous the things she held onto!

I've looked at my own things in a new light, imagining my children doing the same for me.

Yes, my comment above was indicating that I don't want to cull my workouts, but I've done a lot of other culling!
my mom has decluttered over the years, including giving us back a few mementos she kept (our report cards, for example). she didn't keep a lot of our stuff. however, she has a lot of her own stuff. she has managed to donate a lot of things, but she still has plenty of stuff!!!

and my dad.... he never purges anything. we've purged a few things behind his back, but it pales in comparison to what he can't let go of.

just last week, my mom mentioned she's worried about having to clear out everything (or, rather, her children - us - clearing out everything).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 03:05 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I'm another one who cannot get rid of workouts---never mind DVDs---I still have VHS tapes! Have been planning to convert the videos to DVDs...

I have thought of getting rid of the workouts that I will probably never do again. But the old Firms---I would never get rid of them. I still think they are great workouts, along with my vintage Cathe, Kari A, Karen V, Kathy S, and Gin.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 03:43 PM  
old lady

Maybe I need to watch a few episodes of Hoarders to put me in full-on decluttering mode. My husband is a packrat who refuses to get rid of ANYTHING! Our dining room table is crammed with all kinds of crap. . .forget about eating off of it! I bought one of those folding tables that stores the chairs in it. Now, I just need to get my husband to clear off the old table, Ha! I must go now. I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it!
old lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 05:08 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I did get rid of my VHS years ago. I've been pretty good about passing on workouts that I don't use any more.

My problem is the other stuff. In particular books, media, magazines and other unused items in my basement. My mom keeps bringing me things she thinks I "need" when she visits. Kids stuff, too. Especially my 5 year old daughter's toys.
That's DP's dad too, he brings things he doesn't need or want anymore, and we actually don't need or want it either!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 05:33 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
I personally have a mental problem with clutter. I don't like to see it and I don't like to know that it's hidden behind doors. We're in the process of decluttering the worst part of our house this summer (been here 15 years and it definitely shows). It's really difficult, but it feels great to re-home stuff that doesn't have value and is never going to make it back into the living space. The hardest part for me are those items with sentimental value. I still have a couple of containers of baby clothes (my baby is 15, LOL) and artwork from their school years. I'm hanging onto that stuff for now, but I'm at least getting rid of old school papers and that sort of thing. Baby steps.

I find workout videos easy peasy to declutter compared to life stuff!
I've a problem with it too, I live in another country now, but when I was living with my mom I had lot of stuff I didn't get ride of before I left (CD's, clothes, shoes, purses, sport caps, etc.). The first years when she talked to me on the phone, and she was telling me the stuff she was giving away and the stuff she put on the trash, my heart felt kind of broken and I was even a bit mad at her lol, but what could I do?! I understand though, I'm not there, and she wants more space. Now, when she tells me she got ride of something it doesn't "bother" me. I guess I was just sentimentally attached to those things.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 06:14 PM  
marya

One good thing about being over 60--decluttering is so much easier! Even the sentimental stuff, but especially those boxes of never-used VHS and DVD workouts. After all, I'm not going to be around forever. Now that I've (sort of) come to terms with the idea of my own mortality, I have a more realistic sense of what I might actually be able to accomplish AND what my body is willing to do. And bandwagons don't tempt me as they once did, so I likely won't be stockpiling.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 07:01 PM  
Vee

I have a box of DVDs I would love to give away. But I don't know anyone in my country who would use them. Working out with DVDs is relatively unknown in these parts so I can't even think of a place that will take them in as donations.

International shipping is getting expensive to use the share the wealth here.

I am trying to figure out how to get rid of them and still have them find a good home. I am sentimental that way. I want them to have a chance to be appreciated when I get rid of them.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, large collection