Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-14, 11:45 AM  
alisoncooks

I frequently trade and sell.
I frequently reacquire.

I feel like my collection is fluid; it's always changing. There are very few dvds that are guaranteed a forever-spot in my dvd drawer (OOP/hard-to-find dvds, favorites that I go back to over-and-over, those I hold on to.)

If I get rid of something that I'm not currently using, no big deal. Mostly likely I can (and HAVE -- multiple times) trade to get it back. Or buy it for a few bucks on Amazon.

I keep about 25 dvds at any given time -- b/c that's how many my drawer holds AND because that's nearly a dvd for every day of the workout month. Why on earth would I need more than that?

I will say: I've got a couple of sets (Powerfit) that have pushed my current collection up closer to 40. I'm starting to get twitchy about it... probably will do some purging lately.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 11:56 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I've "de-accessioned" (library term!) my collection several times. Now it's pretty much all yoga, with a few other workouts I really like (Anni Mair's Life Force, and a couple of the Rushfit workouts).

No regrets. I have reacquired a few things, but the majority of the workouts I have are ones I have had for years and still really like.

The ones I dumped were for the same reasons JustSandra cited. Workouts that bother my knees, workouts with a high dread factor, workouts that don't reflect my true interests--all gone.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 01:04 PM  
Diana2468

I realized awhile ago that the only workouts I really like to do are walking, kickboxing, and yoga/stretching. I packaged up all of my other workouts and put them in a box. I let them sit for about 6 months and then I donated the ones that I was confident I wouldn't use again. Some of them I was still on the fence about (mostly barre and fusion and dance workouts) so I kept them. At some point in the future I will take another look and decide if I want to get rid of them.

This strategy worked well for me because it was less permanent but allowed me to experiment with my pared down collection.
Diana2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 02:38 PM  
andtckrtoo

Every single workout I have ever purged, I ended up reacquiring, so I just gave up with purging.
Old 07-08-14, 04:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
For me, it was really the mental part that was the hardest--once I actually got to a place where I felt comfortable letting the workouts go, it got easier and easier.
i'm almost done reading this book called The Hoarder in You. the book covers this idea - the mental work involved. most books about clutter advise you to take a picture of something that you have difficulty getting rid of that you have no practical use for (purging the item but keeping the picture of it). However, the author of the book advises against it, or advises you to work toward that goal of "letting go of the item", including having pictures of it since this releases the mental ties to the item.

another concept in the book was that the reason people have so much angst in purging is because by purging, you're saying to yourself that you made a mistake or wasted money with buying it the first time. or that you're sentimental about the item. i suffer from both of these.

in answer to the OP's question - i've only re-acquired a few (a jari love, a couple of 10MS). at the same time, i haven't gotten rid of too many. i have a list of some systems that i ought to get rid of. those would clear a lot of space and mental energy.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 05:52 PM  
serenity130

I'm in the process of decluttering right now as I have way too many. I was worried about getting rid of something I would want but like others have said, I could reacquire it if I really missed it. So far I haven't missed anything I have gotten rid of - a lot of them I don't really remember at all. I realized I was collecting instead of using a lot of DVDs so that make it easier for me to start the decluttering process.

It's taking me a few passes through the collection to declutter. Like others have posted, I'm getting rid of ones that I don't enjoy and know I will not do again even if they are "good" as well as ones that I have had for awhile but just don't reach for. I'm also getting rid of workouts that I used to enjoy but don't anymore (like step ones - I'll keep a couple but getting rid of most). I'm also getting rid of ones that I have had for a long time but never tried and know I won't end up trying anytime soon.

That made it easy to get rid of a few. Now I'm working on the ones that I'm on the fence about. For some of them, I'll watch them and it is easy to decide to get rid of it. Others I am keeping for now but are being set aside and if I don't do them or don't enjoy it enough when I do it next time, they are gone.

I'm donating mine to charity so that helps too - at least they can make use of it by selling it and someone else can enjoy the dvds. I find the more I get rid of, the better I end up feeling about the ones that I have. It was stressing me out to have so many DVDs that I was never going to do even if I tried one every single days for the next few years - not to mention trying to decide which ones to do. My goal is to only have enough ones to fit in the storage containers I already have. If I get anything new, it means something else has to go.
serenity130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 08:48 PM  
dmlarue1

Thanks every one!
I decided to start tonight and pulled out everything I know I dont like but was keeping for some reason!
Also I think its a great point that I don't need every workout made by instructors I like.
I am also purposely getting rid of dvds that require a lot of equipment
I feel better already!
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 09:48 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

My collection has never been really huge, maybe 125-130 at the most. Although for the past 5 years or more it has hovered between 65-85, right now it's around 70. I wouldn't mind getting it down to 60, or better yet 50 but maybe I will make that a long term goal.

I have gotten rid of lots of DVDs over the years, and can think of a couple dozen that I have reacquired, only to get rid of most of them again. The only ones I can think of that I have not unloaded a second time are a couple of Michelle Dozois workouts. Since she is one of my go to strength instructors now, they will likely stay put this time. But I have purged a lot of Firms (now just down to my favorites), all of my Cathes but two, all of my KCMs but one and a host of other DVDs. So far no regrets.

I have a small box of videos to sell or donate but haven't done either yet, I may add a few more but really need to make sure I am ready to let them go. I would really like to limit any future reacquiring if possible. I have a few to purge but not tons.

I am decluttering overall in general, it's a slow long term project but I hope to things a lot more simplified in the next 5 years. I am downsizing my closet, my bath and beauty products, and well DVDs. I am realizing as I get older that I just don't need as much stuff anymore. Except my book collection keeps growing, thanks to school.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 09:53 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
Since January I have been decreasing my collection with no regrets or looking back! I must have gotten rid of over 125 workouts or more. I am down to the last stage of doing or viewing them & deciding. I know what I like & I no longer have a need to keep buying & buying. I am very selective now! It is a pleasure not having tons of workouts that you really never do enough or really want to do but think you will do them when you know you won't! Life is simpler & I still have 200 or less workouts. I WILL NEVER BUY BACK A WORKOUT!! When it is gone it is gone. If it was not great enough the first time what makes it great the second time?
That's impressive Fran! I'd be curious to know, who did you whittle down to?
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 11:00 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
We have been in our house 22 years....um, yeah, we have a lot of accumulation here!
I've recently been emptying my mother's house. She lived there about 55 years. I've found unfinished sewing projects I started when I was 10!! Like a horse head 8x10 tapestry, notepads of airmail rice paper from a hotel we stayed in during the 1970s, my school exercise books from my 8year old days.... It was ridiculous the things she held onto!

I've looked at my own things in a new light, imagining my children doing the same for me.

Yes, my comment above was indicating that I don't want to cull my workouts, but I've done a lot of other culling!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, large collection