Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-11, 12:33 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

new trend in live yoga classes?

I've been going to power yoga classes at a local yoga studio for years and really love it. In the last six months, I've noticed a trend with the newer teachers to turn the music up really LOUD and then to YELL the instruction over the music. Does anyone else find this disturbing? Bad enough at a 6pm class but this morning it was at the 6:30 am class. And it's not just one instructor. I'm wondering if this is some kind of new teaching trend.

I'm not very music driven so maybe other people like this but I find myself straining the whole class just to hear the instruction. Should I try to find another studio or is that the latest thing everywhere?
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:53 PM  
jplain

I don't think so. Most of my classes have no music or very mellow music. One of the power yoga studios near me even has a no music policy, which seems strange....
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:53 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

They're doing the opposite at my studio. We used to have music playing all through class and incense at the beginning and end. Now nobody seems to burn incense, and most teachers are only playing quiet yoga music at the very beginning then turning it off. I miss the music in the background. But I would not like it blasting.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 01:06 PM  
hotncmom

I've never been to a studio yoga class, but the one yoga class I have been to at the Y has no music.

However, the rest of the classes...blaring music and the instructor is muffled even though she is miked. And I went to another club this weekend for a Les Mills launch of S'Bam and it was the same. Couldn't catch the verbal cuing at all.

This is why I work out at home vs. take classes.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 01:45 PM  
laurajhawk

The classes I go to (two studios and a gym) have music, but it's not loud.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 04:41 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Interesting. Sounds like I need to check out some alternate studios (though I have such a loyalty gene that's hard for me!). I don't think I'd like no music, but I'd prefer no music to jarring loud music.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 04:43 PM  
2ndgen

I've actually never been to a yoga class that had music at all.
Old 08-11-11, 06:50 PM  
hollymarie

When I took live classes, each instructor at the studio chose his/her own music. Most instructors played mellow music, but the time slot that fit into my schedule best had a very nice instructor who just played what was on her iPod.

It seemed strange hearing the Jackson 5 and Simon & Garfunkel.

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 10:18 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

The only yoga classes I took that had loud music and the instructors were miked were the yoga fusion classes produced by Les Mills/BTS - BodyBalance/BodyFlow and Group Centergy. In my other classes, there is either very soft music or no music at all.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 08:01 AM  
hotncmom

I'd like to add that they used loud music/muffled instruction in the PiYo classes I went to as well.

I guess I was spoiled by the Pilates studio classes I took for a while, with no music and small classes with personalized adjustments, but I'm just a snob when it comes to group fitness. I don't even like Zumba. Can't hear, can't see...what's the point?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live classes