Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-11, 08:20 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
There are tons of videos that I initially enjoyed but just have no interest in doing again (.....KCM's Cardio Blast, Charlene P).

Sometimes I like the video but can't find a way to fit it in any type of rotation (.....Ellen's Skinny Sculpt).

Or maybe I really enjoy the style/instructor, but think there's just others out there that do a better job (.......Pure Barre...um, all of 'em).

(This doesn't even touch the swarms of videos that I just don't like...)

I'm working on consistency but it seems I'm impossible to please. And when I get like this, a purge is usually on the horizon.
(Actually, I just listed 1/2 my collection on yayas/ebay.....I don't see myself using them again and I'm thinking hard about what is "enough/sufficient" for my collection.)

Anyone else like this?
Yes, except I don't follow rotations. I just went through another massive purge and traded in most of my collection to amazon.com with a few on ebay. I have found that for myself I'd rather have a much smaller, more condensed collection than having a bunch a DVDs that are either never or rarely used. I know what I like and I am good sticking with those styles of exercise.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 08:25 AM  
sherry7899

I tried two workouts this week I wasn't sure about keeping, and decided to get rid of both. (amazon for one, swap a dvd for the other). I'd rather fill the shelf space with dvds I will use consistently.

Does anyone else get sucked in by pretty outdoor scenery? I think I'm likely to have a harder time getting rid of workouts with nice outdoor sets, since I exercise in our finished basement

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 09:57 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
Yes, except I don't follow rotations. I just went through another massive purge and traded in most of my collection to amazon.com with a few on ebay. I have found that for myself I'd rather have a much smaller, more condensed collection than having a bunch a DVDs that are either never or rarely used. I know what I like and I am good sticking with those styles of exercise.
Same here.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 10:02 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I've saved a lot of money by using KineticFlix. I get to try the workouts I'm interested in and then decide if I want to buy it. I usually am just fine with doing the DVD once but not buying it.

Karen - I was looking around that site the other day. I was thinking it was a good idea until I typed in the names of three workouts I am currently interested in seeing and they had none of them. They all were relatively new, but had all been out for awhile. In one case, Chris Freytag, the search yielded only one of her workouts and I wondered how that is possible. Do you find it takes KineticFlix a long time to get workouts? Or did I just have bad luck that particular day?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 11:00 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Hi Alison, I just think there is something about that particular DVD or set we just don't like. I at first loved a set. Was happy, was jumping around, was singing the song. Now I told my husband I'm selling it. don't want to hear the music again. It's not the instructor or the clothing, these things usually get in my way but it's the music. If I stop to go to the bathroom it's that darn song and I don't want to hear it any more!!!! so, I'm selling it. Would I still recommend it, yes. But not for me at this time. I think it's just a time and season for what ever it is we are into. I want a bike now. After I've sold and given away at least 2 I think or one that I recall. Here I am looking into another fitness item to hold my interest.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 11:05 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Hi Alison, I just think there is something about that particular DVD or set we just don't like. I at first loved a set. Was happy, was jumping around, was singing the song. Now I told my husband I'm selling it. don't want to hear the music again. It's not the instructor or the clothing, these things usually get in my way but it's the music. If I stop to go to the bathroom it's that darn song and I don't want to hear it any more!!!! so, I'm selling it. Would I still recommend it, yes. But not for me at this time. I think it's just a time and season for what ever it is we are into. I want a bike now. After I've sold and given away at least 2 I think or one that I recall. Here I am looking into another fitness item to hold my interest.
What DVD are you selling? I'm very intrigued now...

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 11:13 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

lol. Rejoice in the Lord always again I say again I say rejoice. and it does it again..... and again..... and again...... Body Gospel. Never got to the last 3 dads in the set.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 11:23 AM  
Sissy B

My problem right now is I have almost no interest in doing any of my workout DVDs whether I like (or even love) them or not. And this began after I started working out with the Wii a couple of years ago. I love the interactiveness of the Wii. If a DVD is longer than 10 or 15 minutes I get bored. And after playing the Just Dance games and Gold's Gym Dance Workout I've realized that I really like working out to good music, which let's just be honest - most DVDs don't have.

Another thing that I have found is that because I have so many DVDs, it can be overwhelming. Some days I spend so much time trying to figure out which workout I want to do that I end up doing absolutely nothing. On top of that, I have exercise ADD, so just as soon as I decide to do a Joyce Vedral rotation and do one of her workouts (for example) I immediately wish I had done something else instead. It was so much easier when I just had a few workouts.

I've pulled some DVDs to get rid of, but I need to go through the rest of them.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 11:59 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
My problem right now is I have almost no interest in doing any of my workout DVDs whether I like (or even love) them or not. And this began after I started working out with the Wii a couple of years ago. I love the interactiveness of the Wii. If a DVD is longer than 10 or 15 minutes I get bored. And after playing the Just Dance games and Gold's Gym Dance Workout I've realized that I really like working out to good music, which let's just be honest - most DVDs don't have.

Another thing that I have found is that because I have so many DVDs, it can be overwhelming. Some days I spend so much time trying to figure out which workout I want to do that I end up doing absolutely nothing. On top of that, I have exercise ADD, so just as soon as I decide to do a Joyce Vedral rotation and do one of her workouts (for example) I immediately wish I had done something else instead. It was so much easier when I just had a few workouts.

I've pulled some DVDs to get rid of, but I need to go through the rest of them.

~Sissy B
I can agree with this statement as well. I haven't actually used a DVD in about 3 months. With the nice weather I am outside and that is where I get my activity in. We're moving again next month and hopefully to warmer weather (waiting to get DH's final transfer destination settled) and if this is the case, most of my activity will be done solely outdoors. I like my DVDs, but I am having a hard time wanting to pull them out. I went through and purged a bunch that I know I won't miss and now it's getting down to purging some of those ones you always tell yourself that you'll do them at "X" time. I like them, but I never do them. Give me the outdoors, a treadmill, and hopefully soon, a pool and DVDs will be a rarity in my fitness life. It's kind of nice that way too- I'm doing all those things again from childhood that I loved. Simplicity is a beautiful thing!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 12:09 PM  
DejaDeb

Alison, I am getting to a point where I'm telling myself I just do not need to buy another workout! Ever! Even those that look really good ... well, I'm sure I have more than one workout with the same exact exercises, similar music, likeable instructor, beautiful background, etc. So I just don't need it.

That being said, I just looked to see how many new DVD's I've purchased in the last three months ... 7 in June, 4 in July, 1 in August (that danged new Leslie DVD! ) Well, I did say I was getting to the point ... not that I was there yet!

But I'm much better than I used to be (as evidenced by the drop in number of purchases.) Now, when I really want something, and just have to have it, I'll wait a few days, read more reviews, think about it some more ... then I finally come to the conclusion that I already have that workout, it's just packaged differently: different instructor, different music, different background ... but same workout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Does anyone else get sucked in by pretty outdoor scenery?
Absolutely! I've have lovely yoga workouts with beautiful backgrounds (I'm a sucker for any type of water backdrop), and even though I don't do the workouts because I could never begin to reach my foot back to touch my head I have a hard time letting go because it's so beautiful and so peaceful.

Tags
declutter, vidiocy recovery