Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-11, 02:45 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'm addicted to Exerbeat Karate

And I don't even LIKE boxing or kickboxing workouts! I played it for a whole hour today and about 20 minutes yesterday, and my arms feel ready to fall off, but I just couldn't stop.

I have no idea how authentic the karate moves are, but it's so much more fun than boxing - more like a fusion of fighting and dancing. What a great game, for a great price! And thanks to the person who posted the hint about hitting the + to skip the "chatting" after each segment.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 05:59 PM  
Fitmama

Sounds great I will have to check this out!

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 07:47 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Is this a Wii game?

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 07:49 PM  
Missiscipi

yep for the wii http://www.amazon.com/ExerBeat-Ninte...1468494&sr=8-1
I added it to my wishlist on Amazon! looks good!
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 08:02 PM  
carres1973

I like that one too Sue! I actually like it better than the dance routines in that game.

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 12:17 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

If SueB likes it, I'm sold.
Old 07-24-11, 12:23 PM  
Cassy

This looks fun. I actually started doing kickbox moves when I do Walk it out. So this looks perfect for me. I took karate for 3 years so I bet I would like the karate one. OK added to my amazon order!
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 03:32 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
I like that one too Sue! I actually like it better than the dance routines in that game.

Carrie
Same here! I was also expecting to do the dancing segments more than anything else, but it's hard to tear myself away from the virtual dojo. I even prefer Exerbeat's boxing to the dancing.

One problem with the dancing, like a lot of people noted, is that it can be hard to get the controllers to respond. I think you're supposed to do extra-large ROM moves with a little "snap" at the end, but even then, I keep missing. But my kids like the dancing, so I sometimes samba with them for a minute or two as a finisher.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 09:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I agree that the dojo is the best part of the workout. I think the yoga is good too, but has an odd mix of easy and really hard moves (reverse triangle and warrior 3).

I really liked the karate too. Very fun.

I usually wear wrist weights with this game (very light 1 - 2 lbs). I'd prefer to hold weights to up the intensity but doesn't work with the controllers.

This game is great because you use your arms a lot more than most games. However, recording movements is hit or miss. And oddly a lot of miss in the easier segments. That is one of the MAJOR flaws, the other is that the arrows are often the same color as the background- obviously designed by teams that didn't communicate.

One plus is that it has enough gaming challenges built in to keep you coming back- getting gold medals mostly for me.

Sigh- this coulda been a contender!!!!!! I think many people will find it just too frustrating and disjointed.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 03:43 PM  
Nairobinicole

Is this for one or two players? Also do you need the balance board? I looked at the description on Amazon and couldn't figure it out. I didn't know if you needed two controllers per person or what. This looks like a good way to have my girls get rid of some of their energy since it is so hot outside we haven't been going out to play as much.
Nairobinicole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active gaming, exerbeat, karate, wii