Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-11, 01:25 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne View Post
I never have wanted to get rid of my tapes!
Me neither! I love them & don't feel overwhelmed. Mary's family will be saved from wearing rags & eating stale bread crusts.

I don't have much equipment but I could imagine that big, expensive equipment lying around not getting used would make me feel bad. I do have other stuff that needs purging.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 02:04 AM  
topfitmama

I know I'm probably not the person to tell anyone how to do things. I'm no VF veteran by any means, but I have found that passing on, selling, or trading away workouts I just don't click with or don't call my name is freeing. I feel free to do what I want to do. No workouts staring at me from the shelf telling me how awesome I'd look if I just did them!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 04:25 AM  
PhyllisG

I have found that passing on, selling, or trading away workouts I just don't click with or don't call my name is freeing. I feel free to do what I want to do. No workouts staring at me from the shelf telling me how awesome I'd look if I just did them! [/QUOTE]

Me too! Plus I get some extra money for buying something new. I traded or sold most of my Cathe DVDs and I don't miss them at all. The only ones I could not bring myself to part with was my collection of the Firms--all on VHS. If they are just sitting there and I am not using them, they go. So far no regrets except for the original Squeeze and I manage to reacquire that one thru a trade.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 06:11 AM  
lrb04

I rarely get rid of a workout. I don't buy a DVD unless I am sure that I would like it. I could never part with my Firm collection which took a long time to amass. I gave away my Jane Fonda collections 10 years ago, half of my turbo jam collection and piliates wins or. I would never get rid of my Tracie Long. Even though I will not be buying another Amy Bento DVD, I would not part with them. I like to do them on occasion. I must have over 200. I don't get overwhelmed because I keep track of all my workouts. I go through my list a write a list of what I haven't done in awhile. So I look at my list and decide what workout I will do. In my life this is the only clutter that I allow. I also added KCM to a must buy list! I enjoy my workouts and can't part with them.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 06:17 AM  
ruthular

Purge, purge, purge! I feel SO much better if I only am surrounded by what I love, use and need. Sell any DVDs that you don't want anymore. If you sell them as a "lot" on eBay you will make a healthy profit. PM me if you want some tips. I get the absolute best results when my life is streamlined. Plus, you can always buy again if you truly messed up.
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 09:05 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I've been purging my collection, and with the help of another VF who is a resaler, have finally gotten rid of the boxes of 'to-get-rid-of' workout DVD's that have been taking up space, along with some others. My DVD shelves look a neater now, and have some 'breathing room', but I still have more workouts than I would ever use in the course of a year, even if I did a different workout every day!

I'm still thinking of getting rid of more, as I really don't need, for example, 8 kettlebell workouts, when I haven't done ANY kettlebell beyond some swings or an ad-libbed workout in by backyard for several years!

At the same time, I'm still thinking of getting more. Why?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 10:14 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I'm still thinking of getting rid of more, as I really don't need, for example, 8 kettlebell workouts, when I haven't done ANY kettlebell beyond some swings or an ad-libbed workout in by backyard for several years!

At the same time, I'm still thinking of getting more. Why?
Probably for the same reason that I have 5 Urban Rebounder DVD's and I don't even own a rebounder!

Because I plan to get one ... one day????
Old 05-19-11, 10:47 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Did you ever just want to get rid of it all?
Yep. All the time.
I'm often conflicted re: this hobby/collection. I have exactly enough to do a different workout every day for a month. Why on earth would I ever need more than that (and yet I want more).

*For me* -this want for more- is a problem. I want to be content with what I have, which is above & beyond what I need.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 11:08 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yep. All the time.
I'm often conflicted re: this hobby/collection. I have exactly enough to do a different workout every day for a month. Why on earth would I ever need more than that (and yet I want more).

*For me* -this want for more- is a problem. I want to be content with what I have, which is above & beyond what I need.
Yeah... that sums up my feelings too. That's why I'm trying to be VERY picky. But I think I'm still unconsciously searching for that magic pill...
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 11:39 AM  
Renae21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Yeah... that sums up my feelings too. That's why I'm trying to be VERY picky. But I think I'm still unconsciously searching for that magic pill...
This is exactly what I think too. While I only have about 25 DVD's (acquired in a little over 1 yrs time) I think I'm looking for the magic pill too and can see how one can acquire 100's over time. Even though I would be completely happy with what I currently do have.
Renae21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter