Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-11, 12:28 AM  
Daizyduke

kettlebell questions

I am interested in starting kettlebells since I have heard so many of you talk about changing your bodies and losing weight with them. I do have a few questions that I hope somebody can help with. I do not want to become bulky or have too much muscle. I also do not want to have to build up an entire kettlebell collection. How can I get a good workout, and not build much muscle? What kettlebell weight should I start out with if I don't want to buy more than 2 or 3? Are there certain instructors I should look into for the cardio and workout aspect instead of the strength aspect? I saw a preview of Kettlebell Way and the woman in them looks more feminine and not bulky at all. Thanks.
Daizyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 08:40 AM  
Buffgirl

Kettlebells use muscle integration instead of muscle isolation, they won't bulk you up. I started with a 10 is way too easy, I think something between 15 to 20 pounds will provide you some good benefits. I don't want to bulk up either, I use my 15th & 20 the most. The highest I have is a 25 KB. For Endurance like Brooks Butts & Guts, she uses a 10 KB, I use my 15th and is very challenging. Amy Bento in KB dynamics uses 20 and 25KBs and is tough, I did that yesterday.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:17 AM  
Buzzer

I started out using Bob Harpers workouts which had some swings and KB moves using a dumbbell. That got me interested in trying KB's. So, I went to TJ Maxx & got the cheap 10 & 15 lb KB (cost me $30 total). Don't know if they still have them, but I figured it's a good way to start. You don't need both KB's BTW, I would have been just fine just getting the 15 lber. Then, I went to Target and got the Iron Core KB workout for $15.
When I decided I liked those, I started investigating and chose Art of Strength (Anthony ) as my next step.
I started KB's after a round of STS, and noticed more of a difference in my body after a month of KB training than I did in 3 months of STS. I have a nice layer of cushion over my muscles and KB's was doing more for getting rid of that than STS, which built muscles for me but didn't burn the sludge.
No bulking, at least for me.
Anyhow, I guess my point is, try the DVD's with the dumbbells you have now, and see if you even like it. There's lots on youtube to watch & try.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:18 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

This recent thread might be helpful:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=161577

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:20 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizyduke View Post
I am interested in starting kettlebells since I have heard so many of you talk about changing your bodies and losing weight with them. I do have a few questions that I hope somebody can help with. I do not want to become bulky or have too much muscle. I also do not want to have to build up an entire kettlebell collection. How can I get a good workout, and not build much muscle? What kettlebell weight should I start out with if I don't want to buy more than 2 or 3? Are there certain instructors I should look into for the cardio and workout aspect instead of the strength aspect? I saw a preview of Kettlebell Way and the woman in them looks more feminine and not bulky at all. Thanks.
I resisted trying kettlebells for a long time. I finally caved and I have never looked back. With traditional weight training for my lower body I had big, strong thighs - I now have very lean, thin, muscular thighs. I have the best backside I've had in my life as well.

I started with an 18 and a 26lb. and my collection grew over time from there - as money permitted.

You won't regret the investment.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:50 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
I resisted trying kettlebells for a long time. I finally caved and I have never looked back. With traditional weight training for my lower body I had big, strong thighs - I now have very lean, thin, muscular thighs. I have the best backside I've had in my life as well.

I started with an 18 and a 26lb. and my collection grew over time from there - as money permitted.

You won't regret the investment.
I love kettlebells too, but I still have some "traditional" heavier-weight workouts that I'm sort of "afraid" to use anymore because I want leaner thighs as well...and I'm wondering whether I should still keep them. Do you still do that type of workout?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:13 AM  
icebergslim

You won't bulk up. There are two ways to work kettlebells. One for the cardio effect and the other for strength/power. I workout with kbs 3xs a week, twice for cardio and the other for strength. Doing 20-30 minutes of a kb rotation will work your whole body versus traditional dumbells with isolation moves. Lastly, I found kettlebell training will whip you in shape faster than traditional strength training. Muscle always burns fat, if anyone is having problems with the fat portion that is a D*** issue. Iron Core is a good way to start. Paul Katami's kb workouts are also good, I find I must use a lighter kb because the movement is quick. I just finished reviewing Skogg Kettlebell System and I must say that I am impressed with it. It is based on a 90 day rotation and starts with Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Warrior. It is the first kettlebell system like this that I found on DVDs and hopefully will start a trend. I am surprised that Beachbody does not have a kettlebell program out there, yet.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:26 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I love kettlebells too, but I still have some "traditional" heavier-weight workouts that I'm sort of "afraid" to use anymore because I want leaner thighs as well...and I'm wondering whether I should still keep them. Do you still do that type of workout?
I guess I'm asking is whether those of you who do kettlebell workouts have stopped doing traditional strength training...?

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:39 AM  
icebergslim

Quote:
I guess I'm asking is whether those of you who do kettlebell workouts have stopped doing traditional strength training...?
I have not. I am in a rotation now with S90D and use my kettlebell primarily for cardio. I swing and snatch with my 15# or 18# depending on the movement. Anything higher than that like my 22# and 25# is used for strength and the reps are much lower.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:48 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
I no longer use heavy weights for my lower body at all. I do CLX as my strength/weight training workouts - and there is minimal lunges/squats - which I despise, and my thighs despise.

All I'm doing to train my lower body is barre workouts and kettlebells.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell beginner, kettlebells, kettlebells for beginners