Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-10, 06:50 AM  
spotted zebra

Interesting article. I wouldn't be able to do it, but it's been a good year of decluttering for me. I've had more DVDs going out than coming in, and that's good enough for me as far as fitness goes.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 07:28 AM  
LAC

I read the article about the 100 things challenge. The man who started it has a wife & children and he said he wasn't counting things which are family items (i.e., dishes, pots & pans, bath towels). Seems like a lot of stuff could be labeled "family items" and not be counted. I also read the story in the Sunday paper about a young couple in Seattle who are participating. The wife said she only owns 4 pair of shoes. I have never been a shoe person, and I don't have a lot of shoes, but even I have more than 4 pairs! How the heck do you choose just 4? I'd need my winter boots and a pair of sneakers and then I guess I could only pick 2 more pairs to keep. Like maybe one pair of heels and one pair of flats? Both in basic-go-with-everything-black? What about sandals? I'm wholly in favor of scaling back and purchasing more judiciously, but I'm not willing to live in total denial!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 09:05 AM  
Buzzer

I used to live in a 450 sq ft condo. I had less than 100 things then, and every week I went through and purged while I cleaned. I was always on top of the mail, knick knacks (didn't even bring them in!) etc. I didn't even have many clothes, due to a small closet. However, I had lots of underwear, because I had to go to the laundromat and lived by the rule "you do laundry when you run out of underwear." It just seemed like anything extra made the place look cluttered, and since it was already small, everything had to have a place or it was OUTTA there.
I moved into a 1000 sq ft house, and I was swimming in it for 5 years. I swear, it looked like a model home because I was still in the get rid of stuff mode.
Then, I got married, I still have personally about 100 things, but I married into 1 million. Yard stuff, remodeling stuff, tools, books, wood working and jewelry making stuff, camping stuff... my husband wasn't into paring down, and he lived in a 3000 sq ft house.
Now, we are in a 1400 sq ft house, and we still have the stuff for 3000. Our garage is full, our shed is almost full, and the remodeling stuff in our house drives me NUTS.
I guess what my point is, is that the 100 things concept is totally something I can get into, but just wait until I get rid of caulk tubes or paint cans or a saw or a drill, and see how that goes over with my DH.
I think if you have someone else in the home with you, you both have to be on board with the 100 things
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:18 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I think if you have someone else in the home with you, you both have to be on board with the 100 things
Well, I married the poster child for the Virgo astrological sign, so I got Mr. Clean and Mr. Minimalist in one fell swoop.

I hear you, though. We upsized then downsized and here we are in less than 700 sq. ft with one baby and another on the way. If we were in NYC, we'd have a palace. Down here people feel sorry for us.

I'm undeterred, however. I really like the zen aspect of not being attached to too many things, and all it took was the decision to dump the TransFIRMer and Fanny Lifter to start a 2.5 month purge that still hasn't stopped.

Next project: makeup and old papers. I wish there was a secondary market for barely used bobbi brown Shimmer Bricks. I have almost as many of those as I do DVDs.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:55 AM  
sherry7899

F1 mom-there is a website called makeupalley.com that has a swap section-maybe try there? Although since it's swapping, you'd be getting something else instead of cutting back.

I donate bags of stuff to the Vietnam Vets several times each year, but I still want to declutter more. I'm much less of a packrat than I used to be!

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:59 AM  
laurajhawk

See, I want to live in HAWAII with 100 things. Cause I can totally relate to LAC's shoe conundrum, but in Hawaii I'd have my regular flip-flops, a dressy pair of flip-flops, and maybe a pair of pumps for funerals and job interviews (nb: I like to work out barefoot)... Couple pair of shorts, three swimsuits, a dress. Done with clothes and I still have 91 items to go.

Seriously, I think my dogs have 100 things. Each.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 01:00 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllah View Post
Eventmom:

Do you event with yours? I always wanted to do that but well finances and everything. I think thats awesome. Good looking horse in your avatar pic too
yep, we event. We moved up to novice this year and are schooling training level. It has gotten expensive, so I understand financial issues. Fortunately there are some schooling events around which are MUCH cheaper so that helps alot. thanks about my horse, I've had her five years and we are getting there, but of course it is a work in process.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 04:56 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Cool Buzzer, your DH and mine must be twins!

I send boxes and bags to the DAV religiously and detest clutter. It just seems to drain my concentration and ability to function. My man is the opposite...he loves clutter and don't even think about getting rid of his "treasures". I swear it's pathological He claims he has to keep everything because someday he just might need it. But then he can never find it anyway...hey, he's just about perfect otherwise so it's all good

I've sent one box of dvds to the DAV and am working on another one: books I know I'll never read, workouts I just don't want anymore, clothes I can't wear...and if and when I DO lose the weight, I'll just buy or make something But get down to 100 things myself? Only four pairs of shoes? I keep old sneakers for lawn mowing for one thing...I just bought two new pairs of boot cut jeans because my DDs tell me stores are going to get rid of that style and start carrying tapered jeans (think the 80's...one of the few trends of that decade I never liked)...no tapered jeans for me again...no!!!! For the first time in my life, I own and wear (one at a time) TWO swimsuits!

Do need to clean up this messy desk...what's that about a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind???????
Old 08-12-10, 05:46 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Buzzer and Lydia: I have the same problem with my husband and kids. I like to purge items from the house periodically and they have a hard time getting rid of stuff. My DD did consent to get rid of about half of her stuffed animal collection a few weeks ago but my son hardly made a dent in the knick nacks in his room when we went through it.
When we were done he said " see that hardly made a difference." Duh that's because you need to get rid of more stuff! Its kind of frustrating. I would love to have the clean, uncluttered look in the house but its not gonna happen.

Sometimes I take things that I want to get rid of that are not mine and put them in a box somewhere. If a few months go by without someone saying "where is my..."(whatever) then out it goes.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 05:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

F1mom - maybe you can donate the makeup to your local womans shelter? Or an organization that helps displaced homemakers outfit themselves for new jobs.
Also if you want some DVDs we can swap one of those for one of those shimmer bricks....but then of course you gain another DVD which you probably don't need.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, purging