Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-10, 06:45 AM  
mena

I had read about this man a few years ago, and I got inspired to try it. Well, I modified it to be 100 things of a few categories as I could never get down to only 100 possessions in total. I tried to pare down to 100 books, 100 personal items/momentos, 100 DVDs (non-workout), etc. I even started a list.

I was not successful as far as the number, but I did get rid of a lot of stuff. I think just attempting it was a positive experience. I also recall that it kept me from buying any new stuff for months. I really was picky and questioned if I actually needed the item.
mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 06:58 AM  
ldy_solana

been following this thread. i agree i don't see myself getting down to 100 things. our kitchen stuff alone!(married to a chef),our clothes well currently my daughter can fit into a majority of my wardrobe so i don't plan on decluttering much more there. but i have been getting rid of things. i even have shelf space after ridding books,dvds,video games. i try to get rid of stuff that is of no sentimental value or use to us in life. we live in a very small house so its easy to keep the clutter down. i could use less sneakers and clothes but so far if it fits in the closet it can stay. if i want more then i have to clean out!

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 07:35 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
ETA: There was an article in this week's Sunday NYTimes about more stuff not making people happier. It also concluded that spending money on experiences rather than material objects leads to more satisfaction.
Yup, Leslie, that's the link I posted upthread. It's a nice, inspirational article.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 10:52 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post

ETA: There was an article in this week's Sunday NYTimes about more stuff not making people happier. It also concluded that spending money on experiences rather than material objects leads to more satisfaction.
Anyone who doesn't think money can buy happiness doesn't know where to buy a horse. (I'm not sure if that refutes or supports the quote above, I've got WAY MORE than 100 things in my tackroom alone.)
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 08:23 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I like the 1 a day idea. Somehow I think that counting my stuff would just be depressing.
Old 08-11-10, 08:24 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I like the 1 a day idea. Somehow I think that counting my stuff would just be depressing.

I probably have a hundred things on my desk right now. Yikes.
Old 08-11-10, 09:31 PM  
zyllah

Eventmom:

Do you event with yours? I always wanted to do that but well finances and everything. I think thats awesome. Good looking horse in your avatar pic too
zyllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 09:58 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

We have always lived in a small place and had to keep the clutter down, but only 100 possessions - no way. We have a sail boat, we have more than 100 things needed just to keep it floating.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 10:09 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Well it's more the concept really. I'm not taking the 100-thing thing literally, but I am one of the many who tend to shop for a sense of fulfillment or compensation, only to find it's not in the shopping bag.

And I certainly don't need all the videos I have. So many are virgins it's really embarrassing.

But YMMV and to each his/her own!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 04:12 AM  
F1mom

Yeah, Lucky. I hear you. I probably own more than 100 makeup items, mostly the same version of pink lipgloss and lipstick. I've been inspired to dump a lot of stuff, especially since I use the exact same makeup nearly every day, which is next to no makeup.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, purging