Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-09, 08:00 PM  
sherry7899

trying yet again to declutter-help!

I am trying again to reduce my dvd collection. Why is it so hard to part with some dvds? For example, I haven't used Sara Ivanhoe's "Perfect Yoga Workout" dvd in at least three years. There are too many downward dogs in the practices, and they bother my shoulder. I have six other Sara Ivanhoe dvds, and two practices recorded off of Fit TV. It should be a no brainer to get rid of it, yet for some reason I keep holding onto it.

How do you become brutal about decluttering?

Thanks!
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 08:03 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Sherry, I have no good advice for you, but I sympathize with your dilemma. I cannot part with my workouts videos or DVDs. I always keep them "just in case."
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 08:08 PM  
snapfish45

Sherry,

Why don't you post a trade list or post them on Swapadvd. It may be easier to get rid of some of them if you can look forward to getting some workouts you may enjoy.

Snap out of it!
snapfish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 08:10 PM  
ldy_solana

same here. its mostly yoga and pilates i can't part with. just hard to fit them all in the rotation and some i haven't done a good while but i still won't get rid of them!

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 08:47 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

First of all, why are you trying to declutter? If you have too many videos to house comfortably and/or you suffer from paralysis-by-analysis, then you probably should start culling your collection.

If it's just that you think you should scale back but your collection doesn't really get in your way (both literally and figuratively), then don't worry about it.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 09:09 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am trying again to reduce my dvd collection. Why is it so hard to part with some dvds? For example, I haven't used Sara Ivanhoe's "Perfect Yoga Workout" dvd in at least three years. There are too many downward dogs in the practices, and they bother my shoulder. I have six other Sara Ivanhoe dvds, and two practices recorded off of Fit TV. It should be a no brainer to get rid of it, yet for some reason I keep holding onto it.

How do you become brutal about decluttering?

Thanks!
Sherry
Sherry, here's a challenge: list your Perfect Yoga Workout on the Share the Wealth thread and I will list something too. I'll list Kari Anderson's 'Curl'.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 09:25 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks for the support.

Wanda, I already listed it to sell on Amazon, but if it doesn't sell, I'll post it here. Thanks for your offer. BTW, I used to have Kari Anderson's Curl, and tried it once and traded it (nothing against Kari, who is a great instructor).
I'm sure I can find something else to offer, though.

snapfish, I listed a bunch of dvds to sell on Amazon earlier today. If they don't sell, I'll move them over to swapadvd.com. I doubt anyone here would want them-they're very common dvds.

I'm trying to get rid of some workouts because there is no use in keeping things I do not use. I'm tired of seeing them on the shelves and feeling guilty for not using them. I probably only use about 1/4 of my collection regularly.
I do have room on my shelves, but that doesn't mean they have to be crammed

I also listed about twenty books to get rid of between paperback swap and amazon, too. I'm just in a decluttering mood today.

Take care and thanks-
Sherry
Old 08-15-09, 09:43 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

It's easy to get rid of the ones that you know you don't like (once you get going), but you probably have a bunch of "maybes" that you keep thinking you should try again.

Put all of the "maybes" in a box, and put the box away for at least a few months. Don't be afraid to be brutal because you aren't going to get rid of them just yet. When you're done you should only have the DVDs that you love (or at least really like) on your shelves.

After a few months of doing only what you love, take the "maybe" box out again and see if you are interested in trying any of the workouts. You will probably decide to get rid of some of them! Then put the "maybe" box away for a few more months, and so on.

I did this before I moved and gave away about 150 DVDs and 50 VHS tapes. I re-purchased 6 of them at the Deep Discount sale but I don't regret getting rid of the others! I still have a lot, which is fine with me as long as there aren't a bunch of so-so DVDs cluttering up my shelves.

I still have a "maybe" box and if I get a new workout that I'm not sure I like, that's where it goes.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 09:44 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wonderful! I'm a declutterer too; if I haven't used it in about a year out it goes. Feels great!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-09, 09:51 PM  
sherry7899

Colleen-you've done an excellent job at reducing your collection. I'm really impressed! If I have any vhs I don't want, I just donate them to my library book sale.

I'm having a hard time with some dvds because I'm still recovering from a neck/shoulder injury. I have a lot of kickboxing dvds, but can't do them as often as I used to. It's hard to decide which ones to hang onto for "later" when I can do kickboxing more often. It's one of my favorite forms of cardio and I miss being able to do it more than once a week.

I'm definitely getting rid of some Leslie Sansone dvds...I really like her, but the amount of her dvds I have is ridiculous, since the workouts aren't much different from each other. It's not like she's an instructor who comes out with workouts that have some uniqueness from each other (like Kelly Coffey Meyer, Margaret Richard, etc).

Thanks!
Sherry

Tags
declutter, decluttering