Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-07, 03:55 AM  
bearcatfan

I purged a lot of workouts and ...

I'm happier!

I finally bit the bullet and took an "act, don't think" swipe at my collection. Anything I was lukewarm about (or that I had to psyche myself up to do because I didn't like it) is gone. For now, they are in a box in my storage room. I think I must have cut it in half (but there's still a lot left!).

My shelves look so pretty and there's lots of white space . I can see all these great workouts that were lost amid the not-so-great ones. I remember exactly why I like these workouts and how I use them. I'm not on any official rotation until July, so I've just been picking and choosing - and I can actually find the good ones now. I don't think I'll be bored because I could do one a day and probably make it to Christmas plus I'll have some preorders coming at the end of the summer. By then the time will be right to add.

Thus inspired, I went through my workout equipment. I never had a lot due to space constraints, but I did have multiples of tubing, etc. I realized one tube will take care of 99 percent of my workout needs, I only need one green Cathe band for the forseeable future, etc. So I'm down to dumbbells (I don't use a barbell), Fluidity bar, Gliding disks, stability ball, Cathe stretchie, Fanny Lifter (is soooo handy), a full-sized Step that lives under the couch, my BOSU, pilates circle and some ankle weights. The extras are still back in storage, but if I haven't touched them by the end of the summer they are out of here.

Come on, folks, declutter with me
Old 06-20-07, 06:32 AM  
adrien_73

I frequently go thru the "declutter" phase with my DVDs and equipment. Somehow I always end up buying back everything I get rid of!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 06:56 AM  
ldy_solana

i am feeling you on this. there are some i haven;t done in over a year. i have a bellydance set that i can't even get past the first dvd. its a decent workout but i keep trying to make my thing and it just may not be. several others i like but just don't fit my style.plus i want to get back to the basics with my own heavy lifting routines. when viola goes to camp in another week and a half my first project will be to pull out the dvd boxes from storage and get cracking on these things. equipment wise i have everything i could possibly use. i usually like to play around with some of it while watching tv. like i will do some crunches with a medicine ball or play around on the wobble board with viola. so it shows that i don't NEED all these videos,i can do stuff on my own.

plus i am out of work for the next few months i really need to consider finding ways to detract me from buying more workouts,unless of course its my b-day LOL.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 07:14 AM  
antbuko

Good for you, Rose! Don't be surprised though if you decide to reacquire some things in a year or so. I am currently at this stage in my vidiocy (reacquiring a few titles). This could lead to the next stage of vidiocy which is the "never getting rid of anything stage". I doubt it though, because I do enjoy trading and sharing the wealth.
Old 06-20-07, 07:19 AM  
willbefit

I did the same thing this week. I put up a list on the Share the Wealth thread and most have been requested. These are workouts I bought or traded for and never seem to do. Winsor Pilates is something I thought I would get into, but it just didn't click with me. Of course, there are still plenty of videos/dvd's that I have left to choose from, but isn't it nice to be able to actually locate a workout you want to do without emptying two (or more!) shelves to find it?
willbefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 07:36 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I did the same thing, and wow, I just feel better. It's easier to workout not having so many choices which just lead me to sometimes stall before i began.

I'm moving away from workout dvds in general, preferring cardio coach, but some I keep - the ones I really love - and I still occassionally do them.

I do have dvds for yoga - ana/ravi, erich schiffman and eoin.

I also have some cathes,but like I said - I find lately that I just want to do the elliptical for cardio and weight training on my own.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 08:13 AM  
ldy_solana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela
I did the same thing, and wow, I just feel better. It's easier to workout not having so many choices which just lead me to sometimes stall before i began.

lately that I just want to do the elliptical for cardio and weight training on my own.
i find this happens alot to me too and sometimes i either don't workout until way past my "workout time" or just don't do it at all,b/c i can't decide what i am in the mood for.

i also found that when i was doing my routines i was lifting much heavier. i miss running too. i love the time i had to myself to do this(before i started working again), and we have such beautiful trails made for runners/walkers/bikers in our area. i love my workouts but i am letting things fall to the wayside for the newest workouts.

i haven't gotten anything since the free CIA's though so its a start LOL. netflix is a bit of a help,but even then i still have two sitting over on the desk that i have'nt done yet. def. glad this thread came up b/c i have been thinking about it,but it put it in more of a perspective for me.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 08:41 AM  
Gardengirl

I need to do the same! I know I have workouts that I'm luke on . . . but I've also recently pulled out some workouts that I thought I'd never do again! I thought I'd moved beyond Leslie, but recently bought a weighted vest. The old Leslie's have new life with my vest. Also some of the easier workouts look pretty good on certain days.

I seem to go in phases and get really gung-ho about a certain type of workout and think that it's so much fun that I'd never go back to ___________ (fill in the blank). Only to find that I guess I really do have exercise ADD and need variety. So, I think I have to be pretty careful or I'd be reacquiring things too.
Old 06-20-07, 09:33 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I need to do this too. I put two boxes of workouts in storage when I moved two years ago and I have not missed them at all. I loved having only two shelves neatly lined with DVDs I enjoy but now these shelves are overburnened again. Sigh. I swear these DVDs multiply when I'm not looking...
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-07, 09:17 PM  
KathAL79

Ooh, good reminder that I have a pile of videos waiting to leave. I'm also considering hacking away at my shelves, at least in some parts, to clear out videos that do little more than occupy space... But I'm not going to clean out that many...

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decluttering, purging, purging dvds