Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-05, 05:32 PM  
Seabush

Improving Biceps Strength

I've been lifting weights for nearly three years. I've improved my strength in every major muscle group except my biceps. I started using 20-30 lbs for my biceps years ago. I haven't been able to breakthru those numbers. Any suggestions for breaking thru this plateau?

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 07:19 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I assume by 20-30 pounds, you are talking barbell and not dumbells? If not, 20/30 pound dumbbells are pretty heavy for a woman!

There are several ways to increase bicep strength, but most important is to just go for it and not be afraid of heavier weights.

Also, if you don't use dumbbells for biceps, start adding some biceps exercises in, as they will help strengthen the weaker side (that often just "goes along for the ride" when you use a barbell), and work the muscles in a variety of ways due to the different grips you can use. Be aware that if you are not used to using dumbbells, the total weight you will be lifting will be less than the total on the barbell you use, due to necessity of your body to stabilize more than it is used to doing with a bar.

You can do drop sets, starting a set with a heavier weight than you usually use, then dropping down in weight to do a few more reps after you reach failure.

When using dumbbells, you can do forced reps and negative reps as well. Do a concentration curl with a heavyier weight than you normally use, then when you reach failure (inability to do another rep with good form), use your free hand to help the weight up, and lower it slowly using just the active arm.

Platemates, or another mean of adding a smaller amount of weight to what you are using, are a good idea. It's easier to creep up to a higher weight than to jump up to one. Ideally, you should try to add 5% of the weight you are using for smaller muscle groups like biceps, and 10% for larger muscles groups, every few workouts (at least that's what many weightlifters try for).

Another way of working on a muscle group that seems to be lagging is to prioritize your training of it, working it first (after a warm-up) in your routine. Then you can devote all your energy to it. You can also set aside one day a week to just work that muscle group.

What weight workouts do you use now? I found it was hard to increase weights in Cathe's workouts, but could do so pretty quckly with P90X.

P.S.: If you really are lifting 20# and 30# dumbbells, I'd be happy with that! Maybe you have reached your strength plateau?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 07:37 PM  
beospenser

You want to go heavier than 20-30 pounds per dumbbell?????

Yowza! That seems like pretty significant bicep strength to me!

Debbie
beospenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 07:39 PM  
Seabush

I'm lifting 30lbs total. I can do dumbell curls using 12/15lbs weights with little difficulty. I'm trying to get past that 30 pounds. I can perform 2 reps with 40 lbs (2-20lb dumbbells). I can't seem to increase my rep count at that weight.

Crystal
Old 09-04-05, 07:42 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by beospenser
You want to go heavier than 20-30 pounds per dumbbell?????

Yowza! That seems like pretty significant bicep strength to me!

Debbie
I'm trying to lift heavier than 30lbs total. I believe we have a lady here who uses a 60lb fixed bar to perform biceps curls.

Crystal
Old 09-04-05, 07:42 PM  
beospenser

Ok, Crystal, that sounds better!

What about "drop sets" (?) where you lift as heavy as you can for as many reps as you can and then pyramid down to a lighter weight and do as many as you can and so forth.

Debbie
beospenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 07:57 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Crystal,
I think that going from 15# to 20# is a big leap for a relatively small muscle group. I can do 20# for some workouts (P90X and PHH), but I went from 15# to 17.5# using platemates rather than directly from 15# to 20#. And in some workouts, I 've gone from 15# to 16.25# using smaller platemates (the same can be done using one 1.25# platemate per dumbbell).

(FYI: It's rather confusing to refer to total weight when talking about dumbbells. Most people say "15# dumbbells" or whatever they use per bell.)

Debbie, did you read my post before posting yours? We're saying the same thing!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote