Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-05, 02:39 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs
It sounds to me like people want to make these negative comments out of insecurity for not looking like these stars.

Frankly, if all the hype about exercising for the right reasons and avoiding "superficial" topics were true, I think the response to these topics would be indifference, not resentment.
I must be missing something because I don't see any "resentment" here - only others' opinions that they 1) don't care what celebrities do, 2) feel their "training" regimens are most likely unrealistic and/or unhealthy anyway, or 3) are honestly curious about what certain celebrities do to stay thin. I also see some talk about how the entertainment industry bombards us with what they believe our ideal of beauty/health "should" be, and I have to agree I don't want some magazine or TV show or movie company dictating that for me or my daughter. I can and do decide that on my own, based on sound principles of nutrition and health - not on someone else's regimen - legit, safe, or not. No resentment or insecurity here. I have no reason to feel either emotion. I love how I look, and I love how I can work to stay there without having to resort to unhealthy or unsafe practices. If other people care about what celebrities do to look the way they do, whatever. It means nothing to me, and they're free to care about what they choose to. So am I, and I choose not to care. That's tolerance - not resentment ... in case anyone missed it.

You're going to get a variety of opinions here on just about every subject that comes up, and I for one enjoy that. It's why I keep posting here. But I do get kind of annoyed when someone posts things that imply they can read others' minds, and/or that imply they know what the collective board is thinking. There's no way to know that. You really don't know what is in someone else's heart unless they tell you.

Carol

Last edited by Carol_is_fit; 05-09-05 at 02:43 PM. Reason: edited to add quote so I won't be misunderstood
Carol_is_fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 02:41 PM  
Aline

Quote:
Wanting to exercise for "superficial" reasons is something I think we all do in part. I can't really believe that being slim, having defined muscles, good posture, etc.. isn't a sound goal.

If someone is interested in what a celeb does for a workout, what's the big deal? they do have access to top-rate trainers... and we seem to ask each other all the time for workout advice.
Sure, workout advice is perfectly fine. But:

- Workouts alone did not create the bodies they have (in most cases). Much of the negativity was towards the *unhealthy* practices used by them to look a certain way.

- What is wrong with criticizing the media-driven idea that we should all aspire to being fashionably thin like Hollywood celebrities because that is the definition of "attractive"?

- Why should we feel dissatisfied with ourselves if we are fit, healthy and at a medically correct weight for our height and build - just because we don't have the ultra-thin look of a fashion model or movie star?
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 03:03 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aline
Sure, workout advice is perfectly fine. But:

- Workouts alone did not create the bodies they have (in most cases). Much of the negativity was towards the *unhealthy* practices used by them to look a certain way.

- What is wrong with criticizing the media-driven idea that we should all aspire to being fashionably thin like Hollywood celebrities because that is the definition of "attractive"?

- Why should we feel dissatisfied with ourselves if we are fit, healthy and at a medically correct weight for our height and build - just because we don't have the ultra-thin look of a fashion model or movie star?

1. But, the original question was about what they did for a workout regime. It only later got turned into a discussion about the fact that their bodies might not be possible to achieve within healthy guidelines. I don't see why we need to jump to that conclusion (i.e. that the goal is to look just like them).

2. I don't agree with Hollywood's standard of beauty or bodytype. Nevertheless, I have noticed that people (and more so in the US - but that's just my experience) tend to be extreme in one way or the other. When I read Surfergirl's post, it seemed like a middle of the road kind of question, which then got turned into an argument about whether or not we should try to look like celeberties. I'm also not into bashing a celeberty's unhealthy lifestyle. It just feeds a really negative attitude that continues to objectify women either in a bad way. I'm sure these women would rather not have to do what they do to attain a certain look.

3. I'm definitely not saying that you should feel dissatisfied if you don't look like a model. Actually, that's quite the opposite of what I said. It seems to me that a lot of comments (obviously not by everyone) have been made concerning the need to express self-satisfaction while making some comment about how someone else's standard is not a good one (like a celeberty's). I have certain fitness goals for me, and if someone else has others, that's fine -I don't need to call them unhealthy. **Especially** since there is a genetics factor that lots of people seem to be forgetting. Not everyone who is really skinny starves themselves, overtrains, or smokes. Some people are naturally quite skinny.

I am personally sensative to comments about women's looks as being unhealthy or vain. In an environment that turns its nose up at anything less than cerebral, I get a lot of comments about caring about how I look or "wasting my time" working out. I have zero contact with the celeberty world (I don't watch tv and don't go to movies hardly ever) - but I wish people could come to a more balanced attitude about other people's looks.
alikruegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 03:37 PM  
doskymom

I agree with Carol and I think telling people they "don't need to" post this or that or that there is "no reason to be so critical" is probably more likely to cause resentment than the other posts here. Unless something is against the board guidelines, then I don't understand telling people they should or shouldn't post something. I often disagree with people here, but I don't try to police what THEY post, I just respond by saying why I disagree...
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 03:53 PM  
Aline

Quote:
1. But, the original question was about what they did for a workout regime. It only later got turned into a discussion about the fact that their bodies might not be possible to achieve within healthy guidelines. I don't see why we need to jump to that conclusion (i.e. that the goal is to look just like them).
There's nothing wrong with being curious about what workouts they do. And there's nothing wrong with mentioning that they did not attain their "look" with workouts alone. Because, like it or not, it's quite common for people to copy the workout regime of someone who's body shape they hope to attain. See Pilates for an example of that.

Quote:
I'm also not into bashing a celeberty's unhealthy lifestyle. It just feeds a really negative attitude that continues to objectify women either in a bad way. I'm sure these women would rather not have to do what they do to attain a certain look.
Fine, then don't bash unhealthy lifestyles. Leave that to other people to do. It's a shame that these women have to do "what they do to attain a certain look".

Quote:
I have certain fitness goals for me, and if someone else has others, that's fine -I don't need to call them unhealthy. **Especially** since there is a genetics factor that lots of people seem to be forgetting. Not everyone who is really skinny starves themselves, overtrains, or smokes. Some people are naturally quite skinny.
I believe it was the unhealthy *behaviors* some people do to attain skinniness that were being bashed. No one was bashing naturally skinny people. Nor should they.

Quote:
I am personally sensative to comments about women's looks as being unhealthy or vain. In an environment that turns its nose up at anything less than cerebral, I get a lot of comments about caring about how I look or "wasting my time" working out.
OK, that makes sense.
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 04:10 PM  
Seabush

I'd like to know. I'm curious to know their routine so that I can replicate it myself. It has more to do with getting maximum results and having benefit of a personal trainer's routine designed for them to get those results.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 04:46 PM  
i_kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegymmie
Well, I also like Jennifer's physique and you can check out Shape's old article (2003) for her arm workout from trainer Valerie Waters to get in shape for Alias.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...3/ai_108112394

These workouts sound a lot like the ones on Tamilee Webbs, I want that...series (arms, buns, abs)! Specifically the Sumo Squats (only without the kicks). you might want to check out this DVD.

-Morgan
Old 05-09-05, 10:10 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Alikruegs

You are not under any obligation to read this thread. If the moderators find it untenable, they will let us know.

VF works best when members don't attempt to play post/thread cop. I realize you are new, but it isn't very good form to jump into a discussion demanding that we stop doing what we are doing.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-05, 11:03 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Getting back to Jennifer Garner

And getting back to Jennifer Garner, anyone who's read about her latest 3-month 'project' with Ben Affleck knows what her current exercise regimen involves...

And HOW am I going to duplicate THAT at home without Ben?
Old 05-09-05, 11:40 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

There was a show on the E channel about what celebrities do to get in shape. Nearly every one of them does the same sort of workouts that we all know about: weight-training, stability ball, kickboxing, running, plyo, yoga. A lot of them don't even work out half as hard as some of our video and DVD workouts. They work out consistently, and watch what they eat. Plus, they have a lot of motivation because they are in the public eye and get paid to look a certain way.

Edited to add: I responded above before reading the entire thread, so I am adding a couple of thoughts. First, Alikruegs, welcome to VF, and thank you for posting your thoughts.

I don't think it is fair to assume that someone is doing things that are unhealthy in order to achieve a thin figure, without having proof. I also don't see anything wrong with admiring the figure of someone in the public eye, and wanting to know what they do to achieve it. It would be unrealistic to think that doing what anyone else does will give you the same figure, but it is interesting to learn what works for different people (that's what we all ask each other every day here at VF).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celebrities