Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-22, 08:48 PM  
Venus

I was going to suggest planks, too, if they don't bother your elbow.

I searched for "pushup alternatives" and saw several good articles.

Search: pushup alternatives

Search: pushup alternatives for elbow injury

Can't Do Push-ups? Here Are 10 Other Moves That Are Just as Effective

The article above suggests doing hollow holds if you feel elbow pain with push-ups.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 10:55 PM  
bfit

Regular pushups with my hands on the floor do bother my wrists and shoulders, but I can do knee pushups using a chair, using the bottom step on a stairway, and on the stability ball. Using the stability ball is also good for the core. Of course, you could do all of those on your feet too, and you can also use a wall or counter while on your feet.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 01:51 PM  
JENILU

I haven't read many responses, so they may have already bean said, but I did a workout recently on one of the senior youtube channels (had to look -Silver&Fit Program) and she showed a few band alternatives that she started you out with when you couldn't do planks or pushups from a chair in the 2nd round. (she never went to the floor).
It has always been painful for me to do dips (my arms just don't go that way very well, lol), so I just did kick backs. (I've had to school myself quite a bit that I am just trying to work the same muscle somehow. I don't have to be able to do exactly what the other person is doing).
My stubbornness has kept me way too injury prone and I have had to FINALLY learn something else to do on a lot of things thru the years.
I think bands (even tho I don't love them) have been the best substitute for quite a lot of things, but I don't like using them for kick backs, which is about the only true substitute I know for dips. So I usually end up throwing down the bands and finding some weights when doing the kick backs. up to 10 lbs, but sometimes just hands or weighted gloves and trying to contract)
I don't know if I was much specific help, sorry, but I will come back if I find that specific workout. But I don't think there are dips in that one. Again, any workout I find with dips I use my above alternative. Blessings

ETA: I think this was the workout. i know its not exactly what you are looking for. I apologize:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2XC_PNGiQ

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 05:08 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
I haven't read many responses, so they may have already bean said, but I did a workout recently on one of the senior youtube channels (had to look -Silver&Fit Program) and she showed a few band alternatives that she started you out with when you couldn't do planks or pushups from a chair in the 2nd round. (she never went to the floor).
It has always been painful for me to do dips (my arms just don't go that way very well, lol), so I just did kick backs. (I've had to school myself quite a bit that I am just trying to work the same muscle somehow. I don't have to be able to do exactly what the other person is doing).
My stubbornness has kept me way too injury prone and I have had to FINALLY learn something else to do on a lot of things thru the years.
I think bands (even tho I don't love them) have been the best substitute for quite a lot of things, but I don't like using them for kick backs, which is about the only true substitute I know for dips. So I usually end up throwing down the bands and finding some weights when doing the kick backs. up to 10 lbs, but sometimes just hands or weighted gloves and trying to contract)
I don't know if I was much specific help, sorry, but I will come back if I find that specific workout. But I don't think there are dips in that one. Again, any workout I find with dips I use my above alternative. Blessings

ETA: I think this was the workout. i know its not exactly what you are looking for. I apologize:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2XC_PNGiQ
No apologies necessary! That's so nice that you took the time to give me some suggestions. I actually like the Silver & Fit channel a lot and I checked out that video. Thanks so much for alerting me to it. It might be in my rotation soon.

Donna
Old 05-20-22, 05:18 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
I was going to suggest planks, too, if they don't bother your elbow.

I searched for "pushup alternatives" and saw several good articles.

Search: pushup alternatives

Search: pushup alternatives for elbow injury

Can't Do Push-ups? Here Are 10 Other Moves That Are Just as Effective

The article above suggests doing hollow holds if you feel elbow pain with push-ups.
Oh, thanks for doing a search engine search for me! I was going to do that, too, but was starting out at VF because...well...you all know everything!

These articles are very helpful, Venus! I hadn't thought of doing anything like a hollow hold. I mostly think of the pushup as just an upper body move, but it's also a good core exercise, too. Mustn't forget the core!!

Donna
Old 05-20-22, 07:04 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
No apologies necessary! That's so nice that you took the time to give me some suggestions. I actually like the Silver & Fit channel a lot and I checked out that video. Thanks so much for alerting me to it. It might be in my rotation soon.

Donna
Bless you!! I get too wordy, lol. I thought it was a nice little workout and I love when anyone gives options, but again, iI don't THINK there were dips or alternatives for that, I just like having other options for the moves she did do on her hands/arms. I hope you find all you need. Everyone seems to give nice options on that channel but I do struggle with watch each level means. I am a lifetime beginner, low interm. level, but their beginner all seems to be in the chair and I don't often do sitting workouts (sometimes, but prefer to stand when I can).

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 05-21-22, 07:40 AM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Bless you!! I get too wordy, lol. I thought it was a nice little workout and I love when anyone gives options, but again, iI don't THINK there were dips or alternatives for that, I just like having other options for the moves she did do on her hands/arms. I hope you find all you need. Everyone seems to give nice options on that channel but I do struggle with watch each level means. I am a lifetime beginner, low interm. level, but their beginner all seems to be in the chair and I don't often do sitting workouts (sometimes, but prefer to stand when I can).
I have been doing the intermediate cardio workouts. They fit my need for light (but not too light), low-stress cardio. I haven't tried any of their strength yet, but that advanced workout looked doable to me. I might need to explore that channel a little more.

Donna
Old 05-22-22, 03:33 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I have been doing the intermediate cardio workouts. They fit my need for light (but not too light), low-stress cardio. I haven't tried any of their strength yet, but that advanced workout looked doable to me. I might need to explore that channel a little more.

Donna
Thankyou!! The one I did was pretty easy, especially with modifications available,and I've finally learned to modify for myself some as well. (SOME)

Old 05-25-22, 10:24 AM  
cailleach

great thread

Been a while since I've visited this site. Finally got some work projects finishing up. Came across this thread and this is a great idea and very helpful to find suggestions for alternative moves.

Ever since my lumpectomy six years ago, I still cannot do push-ups like I used do. I can only do a limited reps of push-up on my knees before the area around the scars starts complaining. Didn't even realize just doing planks will do.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 12:27 PM  
fatkat555

I would say your modification should vary as well depending upon the muscle groups you wish to target. For example, you may wish to do French press for triceps or pec flies for chest, plank for core since push-ups work so many muscle groups. I modify by doing all these OR my favorite substitute is wall pushups. I had a separated shoulder and really have to modify a lot. Actually, I couldn’t do French press for triceps (weight overhead was a no-no) so I did triceps pushbacks. I could NOT and still avoid tricep dips off a chair or stool. I can tolerate them on the floor though.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
high pull, push-up progressions, push-up substitutions