Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-16-22, 04:42 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

Following up from last week:

Saturday I did total body with Daniel PT Fitness, I've done a few of his workouts and I really like them! His specialty seems to be metabolic style 30-ish minute workouts that are either HIIT, kettlebell, or total body with some split strength workouts. I have been saving some of his HIIT but a lot of his kettlebell and total body. Anyway I started with a growwithjo warm up then this Daniel PT workout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHjl...T5yzc&index=30) and stretch for a 55 minute workout.

Then Sunday I just did Pure Barre Results Focus Seat, which I remembered as being easier (and to be sure it is easier than the other Results Focus workouts) but it was tough enough for me yesterday! I have a very distinct hamstring DOMS today which I suspect was from the seat portion of the workout yesterday. I did the warm up through about half the abs then my own stretch for a 55 minute workout.

Today I went for a brief but hot and sweaty 15 minute walk with the dogs. Today and tomorrow are rest days.

I was so busy last weekend with visiting one sister about 2 hours away on Saturday, then my nephew's birthday party yesterday. And tomorrow it's back to the office already!

Eventmom I hope your knee feels better!! My knees feel pretty good again after I stopped running, I probably just won't ever run again or maybe just once or twice a year.

We also went from chillier spring weather to now it's just hot, haha. The dogs were panting and dragging after just a slow 15 minute walk today, it was probably about 80 and sunny then we had a huge thunderstorm. Thankfully we got back in time!

Buzzer I really like Cathe ICE Bootcamp! You described it really well, some tougher moves but not performed for that long before she moved to the next exercise, and the whole workout with w/u and stretch is only like 44 minutes. I really like the ICE and LITE workouts because they are shorter, less challenging but still definitely feel worked out!

I don't have Strong and Sweaty upper body but I do have the Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp workout which I also really like, it's tougher than the ICE Bootcamp for sure. I also have Strong and Sweaty PHA and Total Body Giant Sets both of which I really enjoy. Cathe really is great!

I hope your tennis elbow doesn't stick around forever, I remember my flare up from a few years ago lasted for months!! I had the little brace thing that depresses the one muscle so it makes your movement less painful, is that what you bought? It really did work well!

Congratulations to LB for getting her next karate belt and for the bonus recognition of perfect attendance and for the extra effort of helping out and things! That's awesome!
Old 05-17-22, 07:31 AM  
Buzzer

Strong and Sweaty Cardio... done.

I started out strong then slowly petered out. My body ached!! My abs were so sore, my legs were too. All that island work on Sunday just exhausted my body. I tried, but by the time I got to the mat work, I was pretty spent. I looked at her like she was crazy a lot. I think I even ended early. I took LB to help her swim instructor (which was awesome! She loved it!) and checked on the cat, who we found behind a desk. We loved on her a bit, then went home.

I helped DH with electrical in the garage, no concrete. Apparently there was some dust up with the guy doing it and the supplier when they tried to raise prices on him, and they cancelled our pumper truck. So he rescheduled for tomorrow. We'll see.

So anyhow, I made lunch, helped DH, then just was done. I crawled into bed for quiet time to calm my brain, and ended up taking like an hour and a half nap. It was nice! then I was all nervous every time I heard someone go to the bathroom or walk around the house that they were going to come in and my time would be over. About 1/2 hour later, DH texted "are you waking up?" and I knew I needed to get out into the fray. So that was good while it lasted.

Today I have to do taxes, along with a million other things. Help instructor, check cat, do taxes... school still too. I don't think I'll get it all done.

So after our weather chat, I am enjoying our nice spring weather when I look at the 10 day forecast... snow. 7-9" so far of SNOW on Friday. We need to find a home in the house for all our greenhouse plants. I need to make sure I have some winter clothes still out. Highs in the 30's and 40's for Friday and Saturday... then back to 70's and spring for Sunday. I expect we will have power outages with this one, since spring snows weight a TON.

I think I am a bit more spunky today for a workout, it's floor legs. So we'll see!

Eventmom: The clothing thing is annoying! HA! I wish we knew what the weather would be. I guess it's a temporary thing to have the clothes still around, however it's still just annoying. October is unpredictable here too.

Ebianco: Good for you for getting the doggies out on a hot sweaty day. Ugh. I remember getting a reflector leash for our old dog when I walked him every day, just so I could walk him before the sun came up. I would avoid the heat best I could! Now I think... nope. I am too afraid of coming upon a mountain lion or bear. I never did, thank goodness! I didn't even think of it back then. however we were new to the area and I didn't know better.

I did really like that ICE workout. I liked that I wasn't beat up at the end! I am still watching for LITE to go on "deal of the day" or a good deal on it. Those I think are more my speed. I need some low impact in my life right now. Especially if I keep doing island work days.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-22, 04:24 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I had a huge checkin that I somehow didn't post! So just a quick one now.

TA 12.2 day 7 + part 1 of Ravi & Ana Happy Hormones

ebianco - thanks on the knee. I'm skipping cardio for a bit and adding some yoga or long stretching just to rest my knee. those workouts look pretty tough!

buzzer - I have a friend in WY who posted about the snow heading in! It's crazy. But honestly I need to get rid of more clothes I just don't need all I've got.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 06:45 AM  
Buzzer

Amy Bento abs and stretch... DONE!
rest day... done.

I put in the floor leg work, got through about 5 minutes and already found myself modifying. I just couldn't. So I ended it and put in abs and stretch. I am just feeling wiped out this week!! The workout was great for me. The abs were tough and I felt them a LOT the next day! I still feel them a bit today, two days later! The stretch was good and I felt like it was just what I needed.

Yesterday my core was sore! Both my abs and my back! It was actually kinda nice. I like that since it's the part of me that needs the most help right now. It's slowly growing out of my clothes, and I refuse to buy a new wardrobe! I need to lose just a few inches to be comfortable again.

So I woke up late... 6am!!! So late for me! I loved it! I got out of bed, was planning my day.... suddenly I hear trucks. The concrete guys showed up. I got in maybe 1/2 of my morning amazing grass and went out to watch the concrete get put into the garage. I woke up LB early (about 7) and DH had to work, so I was there to answer questions, troubleshoot if they needed it, and supervise. We had to skip the essentials party for CC. I was pretty annoyed because I have a friend in CC with us, and whenever she needs help, I try to help. I have babysat her kids, picked them up to go places (karate, the park, events, etc) and just tried to help her when she needs it. Yesterday, she offered to take LB to the essentials party. She texted 1/2 hour before the party that it just wasn't going to work for her. I was so angry! I realize it's about 20 minutes in the opposite direction of where she was going, however it annoys me because I have never asked her to come up here to help with LB. NEVER. Actually, I seldom ask for help from her. She has maybe been up here twice. I know we are out of the way, in the hills. However, the one time she could help me, she even was the one that OFFERED it, it just didn't work for her.

So anyhow, sometimes that's what you get. You know? So we watched the concrete guys, checked on the cat, went to karate then I finished taxes at the shop. We didn't get home until about 8pm, but at least I got everything done!

Today I don't know if I am up to legs again... I just feel like I need a break this week. I don't know why, but my body is telling me to take a break from the hard stuff. I do push myself day after day in my workouts, and I think every now and then my body rebels. This is that week. I'm not sure what workout I'll do!'

So the forecast has changed. We are at about 7800 feet, and our area is expected to get 17" of snow! 14-15" on Friday, then 3-4" on Saturday. So I am not planning ANYTHING for Friday or Saturday. It'll be heavy and wet snow too. So if the power goes out, I suppose that will be a rest day too! Today is supposed to be 80 degrees up here! Then snow tomorrow. Crazy.

Today we are meeting friends to play, so that will be a good kickoff to a snowy weekend!

Eventmom: I hate it when I have a check in all done and somehow lose it. I feel like it never has the same tone, even if I rewrite it. I am half excited for the snow, half dreading it. I am ready for spring! However it's been so hot lately, maybe it'll keep the heat at bay and we can have some more lower temps for a while. I'm not ready for summer, but I am ready for spring!!

Ebianco: I am still watching for a deal on LITE! I think going a bit lighter is just the ticket for me right now. I am loving strong and sweaty/ICE for what I have done so far, just the lower key workouts are good. I wish I could figure out what worked for me!

We are getting veggies/fruits delivered through misfits market. I was put off by their prices at first, but then after going to Costco, I realized they are pretty much in line with their prices, and they deliver to us! So I am getting pretty much all my grocery shopping through them. It's nice! Plus we are eating more fruits and vegetables. Hopefully that's part of the key to getting rid of some of this weight I have. Apparently working out does nothing for it!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-19-22, 02:16 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - ta 12.2 day 8 and a cs episode
today - ta 12.2 day 9

my headache is pretty bad today so I just don't think I'm going to get in the second half of my workout.

I may switch to cardio barre - getting through TAs all fours work when my knee hurts has not been fun. I previewed my cardio barres and there is only one short all fours segment on one dvd which I think I could just skip.

buzzer - 17" of snow OMG in May! of course my WY & CO horse friends have a horse trial this weekend and they'll be running around cross country in the snow. Sorry about the person who bailed at the last minute. I have to say that retiring and being more or less done with people is part of why I'm just over it. Just too much drama. We are getting a cool down when you get snow and I will definitely appreciate it!

hi ebianco!
Old 05-20-22, 08:51 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

It's been a little bit of a bumpy week for me. My in office days (Tuesdays) I don't tend to eat much, but then I have been rebounding on Wednesdays by eating way too much, and i really overdid it this week. I'm going to need to plan out my in office days better so I don't fall into a purge/binge cycle again. Anyway since I overate so badly Wednesday, I've been a bit sick to my stomach and had to miss my workout yesterday. I STILL feel sick to my stomach today, making me think I might actually be sick and not just self induced eating crap but I really wanted to get back to it so I did my workout today, but I was more sluggish getting through it.

Tuesday: rest day but after work I took the dogs for a quick but hot 15 minute walk

Wednesday: woke up early and got in EPIC Heat arm workout (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-by...i4uVpN&index=9) plus stretch for a 50 minute workout. I was really happy that I woke up early, persisted with working off my cell phone since Verizon FIOS internet service was out the entire day , too bad it went downhill after the morning with bad eating Ugh oh well, all I can do is move forward.

Yesterday: Unplanned rest day but at least I got my eating back in order.

Today: EPIC Heat Leg workout (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SEc...4uVpN&index=10) and it was really good but my back was cramping slightly from all the deadlifts, so I had to modify a bit. Still good though, with warm up/stretch it was a 48 minute workout.

Tomorrow will be total body and abs, after (hopefully) feeling much better and getting a chance to sleep in. Then I'm coordinating with my sisters to help my dad all weekend decluttering his house.

Sunday will be barre after (again hopefully) feeling much better. And hoping the decluttering will be more just moving stuff here and there and not overly active LOL.

Eventmom I am sorry to hear your headache is so bad, I hope you feel better soon! I love TA all fours work but it is very hard on my knees. That's why I had to give it up the last time even though I was definitely seeing results with her. My knees feel great right now, but I have been careful not to run or do anything else to exacerbate it, which would include long stretches of table work.

I haven't done Cardio Barre in forever! Still have the DVDs though I'm sure I'll get back to them at some point

Buzzer I really like Cathe's LITE workouts. They really ARE "lite" and easier than the ICE workouts, which are also pleasantly easier than her usual workouts. I don't have the entire LITE set but really like the ones I have, Cardio Party, Pyramid Pump, Metabolic Blast, PHA2, Bodyweight and Bands (it is my favorite of her band/travel workouts).

Yes, I think eating is make or break for weight loss, and exercise really isn't a factor at all But like you said, I don't know the exact formula, I know when I reduce carbs/sugar it's great, but if I push it too hard, I tend to rebound and binge, so I haven't found that balance yet. Ugh!

Wow snow!!! We pushed right through Spring here and it is now in the 90s already

It is so bad that your friend bailed on you, after OFFERING to help you!! And just 30 minutes before the party! That is very annoying, and especially bad since she had offered and then she backed out
Old 05-20-22, 11:19 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Cardio Barre Intermediate

it went okay, it has a very short section on knees and I doubled up my mat for that.

ebianco - it is hard to eat well when working in an office. I end up bringing food when I teach at night but even then I'm rarely eating 'enough' and end up very hungry. Hopefully you figure out a solution. good luck on decluttering your father's place - hopefully with more than one person you'll make real progress. I'm trying to get our house in order and it's seems like it takes much too long. thanks on the headache, it's much better today!

hi buzzer! hope the cooler weather is good and not too icy.
Old 05-22-22, 07:23 AM  
Buzzer

rest days... done.

I decided to take the rest of the week off. I just felt worn out and achey. I don't know if I was fighting something off, or if it was just time to rest! So I did no workouts.

With the snow coming, I took in some plants for the people who bought the property across the street. They are living in their camper on the property while they build, and had all their house plants from their old house sitting outside. They have a lot! With the snow coming, I offered to take some in. They are in my workout room... set off to the side, so they won't interfere too much, but still in the workout space. So I can't do anything anyhow that takes up too much space.

The snow came through, and we have a little over a foot of snow. The first few inches that fell melted right away since the day before was 90 degrees up here! So who knows how much fell, but we ultimately ended up with probably 13" or so piled up. It's heavy and wet, but luckily not slushy like I was afraid it would be. Lots of moisture though!

So even though I haven't worked out, different parts of my body have been sore like I did workout throughout the week. Two days ago my tennis elbow was so achey! It would not stop. Before that my shoulders ached. Today my abs do! I don't know if my body is settling, if I randomly did things that could have made them achey, or what. It's been very weird.

I have done more reading, relaxing and paying attention to my diet this week. I am reading the "interior design handbook" which I found at the book store and is exactly the book I have been looking for. I don't have much flair for design, and I have been looking at houses for sale and trying to figure out why the staged houses look nicer than how people really live. What makes them look nicer? This book seriously is a hand holder for the process. I rearranged the living room and I love it! I ordered new lights for the entrance, and two for the kitchen. I have hated the lights in these areas for 16 years. They are the decisions of people before us, and I have always hated them.

I have lived in this house like it will be a temporary house for 16 years, under the idea that we will build a new house. I think I am finally coming around that we need to live here, and stop living with the decisions of people before us. They left 16 years ago!!! Why do I need to still look at and hate their design ideas? So new lights! I also am going to paint the kitchen cabinets. They are painted or stained the color they are, like a cherry wood color. They are fading, the color is coming off them, and in the high use areas the color on the edge of the countertop is coming off, exposing the light wood underneath. So LB and I are going to clean them, sand them and paint them. we are thinking grey. DH doesn't know, he wouldn't agree. We need to do it then tell him! HA!

So this week I went to the bookstore twice, read by the window looking at the snow once, and just took it easier. LB is still volunteering to help her swim instructor, so we did that 3 times last week. Plus we watched the violin teachers cat, so LB read a book to the cat every day for about an hour and a half. We ran around, but not crazy. More like time consuming things.

Today I am going to get back in my workout room and do a workout. I don't plan to jump into a Cathe right away, but maybe my old standby Ballroom Aerobics. Or maybe I'll just lift. Or do a yoga! I don't know what I am going to do today, I just know it'll be my transition workout from doing nothing for 6 days, to doing something!

Ebianco: I have those days of doing really good and patting myself on the back for how well I ate, then the next day I binge on crap. Totally undoing all the good I did for the day before! I have gotten better about it, however I can totally see doing that on days going into the office. I always brought food with me, then I would wish I brought more. I wonder if you are fighting off something too! Or maybe it was just a week of transition for both of us! I am still looking out the door at about 5-6" of snow, and reading about how hot your walk gets makes me happy for the snowy view! I am not looking forward to those hot days.

I really want the LITE series. Especially after this crash after Xtrain. I am going to go back to the Strong and Sweaty and ICE, however I might fall back to just doing an ICE rotation. We'll see! I think less intense sounds good right now. Maybe it's a transition to summer for me, where it's getting hotter and I don't want to work as hard. Maybe it's just that I have been beating up my body for so long that I am ready to back off a bit!! I keep looking for LITE to go up for sale for a reasonable price, or to go on daily deals. I will be patient though! I have enough to keep me busy for a while.

How did decluttering go? Hopefully it was more organizing than decluttering. Plus you got to visit and see family. Sounds good to me! I am still annoyed with my friend. Yesterday after westernaires, DH offered to take their daughter home with us for a playdate. So she was up at our house, then he drove her home afterwards. Wasn't out of his way, but apparently the other way around it's out of the way. So annoying. I will get over it.

Eventmom; Sorry about all your aches! I can't do near as much on the knees as I used to either. I got some squishy knee pads from TJMaxx a few years ago when I was doing TA, and they seemed to help. They are supposed to be for yoga. I pull them out every now and then for things like pushups on my knees. I get the pain. I hate it! I seem to be modifying things a lot lately though! HA!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-22-22, 03:01 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - MR getting better upper body and a 20 min Jessica Smith stretch after I rode
today - MR getting better lower body then a 23 knee pain session from my action jacquelyn app. but of course, she did hamstrings in hands/knees.

buzzer- thanks for the tip on knee pads, I may look for some. that is great that the book is helping you. I know you've been frustrated with the house forever. I sometimes catch this tv show something like 'sell this house' the designer and his helper come into a house that hasn't sold. get an open house with hidden cameras. then in a day and a half for say $500 do some painting, maybe some cheap curtains, move out some furniture, rearrange, buy a few things, then have another open house. It's crazy how much a difference they can make in such a short time and for not that much $. One couple had a co-op in manhattan. After the changes made by the designer, they pulled it off the market and kept it! That's how much of a difference it made. It's crazy at one level, but I'm like you. I would never think of the stuff and certainly no way could I figure out the few key things that make it so much better for relatively little $. Sorry about the 'friend' - I'm glad I'm done with driving my kid around!

hi ebianco!
Old 05-23-22, 09:18 AM  
Buzzer

The Firm Vol 3 (Sandahl)... DONE!
The Firm Tough Tape 2... DONE!

I restarted with "easier" workouts. Easier than those Cathe's!!! I grabbed 12's as my heaviest weight on both workouts. I did the Vol 3 at my speed. I didn't try to go all out, or grab as heavy as I could. It was a good transition back into working out! My heart rate was up, I felt challenged, but I wasn't at the top of my heart rate zone nor was I at the most I could lift. It just felt good.

Today I did TT2, and kinda gave myself a bit of a break again. But man, I did sweat! I used 12's as my heavy weight, except for the pushups. Instead I grabbed 20's and did bench presses. I held my tummy in to give my body the idea it was doing a pushup. Much easier on my shoulders, elbows and wrists!

For tricep dips, I did kickbacks. Again, easier on those joints. My right shoulder, which is also the side my tennis elbow is on, was bugging me. I am sure the two are related.

I am going to move into the ICE/S&S rotation tomorrow with ICE low impact cardio. I'll see where I go from there. I think Xtrain just beat me up, plus I was working on the island, and just exhausted myself.

The snow slowed me down on the project for sure! However I have decided to plant some trees in the island, so I'm excited for that. An apple and a pear. It's fenced off so the bears, deer and elk won't eat the fruit, so I am optimistic I can grow something on the trees!

Eventmom; I looked up that show you talked about! It is interesting, although the amount of decluttering needed to sell a house is something I will never attain (unless I am selling the house!). I have watched a few episodes and it's given me some ideas!! We have awful louvered closet doors in the bedroom, which are an ugly light colored stain. Very 90's. In the show they painted some ugly louvered closet doors white.. I thought.. Why haven't I thought of that??? it is getting the hamsters running in my brain!!
Thanks for pointing me to it!

Ebianco: I hope ICE is lower impact. I need something gentler! I think I did xtrain enough that I am thinking "I should just get rid of it." I won't because I may want to go back to it, however the higher impact and work did not change my size or my body at all, and it just has left me exhausted. I absolutely love it! However maybe it isn't for me for 8 weeks. HA! I am so looking forward to ICE. Hopefully S&S isn't too much too. We leave for vacation in about 2 weeks and I don't know what I am going to bring yet. If these workouts translate well to a workout room, I might just bring them. Otherwise, maybe I'll just bring P90X Yoga and some Linda's. I like her lounge room series.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14