Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-05-22, 10:12 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - TA 2.11 day 9 + 30 min brand walk
today - Action Jacq. leg slimming cardio barre + 10 min hamstring stretch

buzzer - it's turned wet and cooler here, several 'small' tornadoes yesterday none by us but noisy storms. I guess we were both in the mood to 'stray' I passed on TA today. I've got one last new class tonight and I'm not totally ready. I'm so burned out.

hi ebianco!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 10:58 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I took an unplanned rest day on Sunday but that's okay. Monday and Tuesday were planned rest days.

I thought I posted yesterday but I didn't!

I was back at it yesterday with EPIC 3 Powerful Push/Pull upper body (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5F...i4uVpN&index=5) a repeat from last rotation and definitely one of my all time favorites, the staple exercise is pushups but it's a different variation each time! With warm up, light cardio and stretch it was a 57 minute workout.

Today was EPIC Endgame lower body (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afyW...i4uVpN&index=6) which was very tough and my legs were shaking by the end. I probably did this one in my last rotation but I don't really remember it! It is back to basics moves with 1 minute on/30 seconds off which builds up after a while!

Eventmom and Buzzer my DH has been on his meds for about a week and his blood sugar hasn't gone down yet (he's doing daily tests at home), but I need to do more research to see how long it takes to get under control. The doctor did warn that you start with the current med (metformin) but that it will likely be more meds needed, so we'll see. They also put him on a cholesterol lowering medicine which I questioned was necessary, his cholesterol ins't much higher than mine, just slightly elevated, but the doctor seemed adamant that the cholesterol must get under control for the diabetes to as well. Again I would need to do more research on that.

Oh no the pet curse!! Not to mention specific to eye issues! I hope barn kitty and Eugene do much better...yes buzzer I always worry about discharge (especially if grey or green) because of injury or infection. Lucy is doing much better I think (I see the vet again tomorrow). In fact, I am tentatively hopefully she'll be cleared to get out of the cone on Friday hopefully! So I feel much better on that front at least.

Buzzer It is so funny how the burnout just happens all of a sudden. It's not just with exercise either, like I will be on a huge kick with food (for instance, I MUST have raspberries every day right now, but I know in a week or two I'll just say "nope not anymore" one day just like that!) It is the same with working out. The enthusiasm and zeal is there one day, and the next day is unexpectedly gone. It's crazy! I hope you find something good to focus on after shopping your collection!
Old 05-06-22, 06:36 AM  
Buzzer

Xtrain Burn Sets bis and tris... DONE!

I don't know why I did it! I thought about doing slow and heavy... I think the next workout was triceps and chest. But then I decided to try and do burn sets, and I am glad I did! It was not too bad. HA! I love to lift though. I think since I am midweek, I want to finish this week and see how I feel. I am eyeing starting strong and sweaty or 4 day split though! I tried every bicep set starting with 20's. That was hard, but I did it! At least one or two sets of 20's before I dropped down to 15's. I used to be able to do all 20's for my biceps, however since Cathe doesn't rest as much as I do after a failure set, I think I eventually have to drop down.

Triceps I used cathes weight. Except for the tubing, I hate tubing! So I grabbed a 20 and used that. It was good! 14 reps plus pulses. Hard!

So today is all out low impact hiit, and I am sticking to it. I thought I was only at week 7, however turns out I am 8 weeks into this rotation. 4 weeks on the "ride" rotation, where I put in a cardio I wanted to do on ride days, and now 4 weeks into the undulating rotation. So that's not too bad!! I am getting better at the abs, which she does a lot of full sit ups.

Yesterday we had swimming. We went to lunch afterward (swim lessons are getting expensive because we go shopping for things we need, or out to eat after!) and she helped with the little kids class in karate. She loves that! So we had a busy day. I did get to work on the house a bit, which makes me feel a little better. I need a few days to really get in there and get things sorted! Bit by bit.

I remember seeing a friend and she asked how my house organizing was going. I told her I was working on it. She said "you aren't done yet? You've been working on it for a year!" I don't remember what I said, however she's right! HA! Over a year! Try 15+!

Today is supposed to be really nice... like, 70 degrees nice! So I may see if I can throw LB out with her friends into the yard and maybe I can get some more house done!

Oh, so I got this wrist tens machine thing that looks like a watch. However it's a tens. Anyhow, its supposed to block the signal to the brain that makes you feel nauseous on rides! I am excited since we got the Elitch Amusement park season tickets, maybe I can ride some of the spinning rides with LB and not feel like upchucking!! I will tentatively try it out, pray for the best!

Eventmom: I would not be able to do tornados!! I am so glad they don't happen here! We are too high in elevation. I know that burnt out feeling, and I'm sorry. Luckily you can comfort yourself with the knowledge that this is it... next year at this time you will be retired!

Ebianco: I'm glad your husband is getting the care he needs, even if it's not helping immediately! That's so scary though, to know you are on the path with the meds, then find out they aren't working yet! I remember hating the finger pricks, but then after a while I got used to it. The food log is the best, it really made me realize what was messing with my blood sugar. I have never heard about the cholesterol/blood sugar connection. That one is weird! Let me know what you find out!

Yay Lucy! Goodness, that puppy. I hope she gets cleared this week! She's been isolated one way or another for too long! Eugene's eye is doing OK. I have gotten 3 rounds of drops into it. DH reminded me that Eugene has seasonal allergies, and he always gets a gross eye this time of year. The drops help though. Poor dog! he takes it like a champ though, like he does everything.

So we have the pet curse and the burnout curse! Burnout on jobs and workouts happening.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-22, 09:22 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

Today I pulled out Firm Maximum Cardio with Carissa which has always been one of my favorites. I haven't done it in a long time though! I just thought about it out of the blue yesterday, and thought OOH I want to do that tomorrow. I did the entire cardio part, plus the abs and stretch which is about 40 minutes, then I did a quickie Classical Stretch on YouTube (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDEyxiwkioQ). It was more of a rapid introduction whipping through each of their classic moves more than it was just a 10 minute snip of a longer workout, but it was still good. Overall a 50 minute workout.

Fingers crossed for Lucy's appointment this afternoon!

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer My dogs eyes don't do well with allergies either in the spring/summer, the vet called it allergic conjunctivitis (that Lucy has on top of the ulcer problem, in the non-ulcer eye). The vet gave me some ointment and it has helped tremendously though.

My DH is not liking the finger pricks (I can't blame him), but especially he is demoralized about the blood sugar count going up. It looks like metformin is supposed to take effect after a few days (he is right at the one week mark) but could take longer.

To an earlier point you mentioned, I thought full on situps were bad for your back too? I also notice Cathe has a lot of them in her workouts. I can seem to do a few with no problem, but I don't go overboard.

Wow that sounds great about the wrist tens machine, I used to love roller coasters but around 30 it started to go downhill with nausea Talk about how kids and teens can be jostled easily where it is way too much for adults!
Old 05-06-22, 11:29 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today- TA hip 2.11 day 10 + 30 min cardio I found on youtube

buzzer & ebianco - the barn kitty got the drains out wed. and another IM antibiotic. he's free roaming again but mostly he hangs out in the hay room.

My last class for the semester was last night. I have an exam to give in one class and presentations to watch in the other. Grading of course but that is all! It's a huge relief.

ebianco - sorry that the medication hasn't worked yet but hopefully soon! My dh does daily tests just to monitor his blood sugar. He's avoided diabetes so far but he eats a sugary dessert about 1x year, limits his fruit, etc. hopefully you're dh will get some good results soon. that looks like a good essentrics when you want a quick standing stretch.

buzzer - omg house organizing. It was a huge win to get the house garbage out today and I even got two bags of barn trash out. Having dh not able to lift anything etc I'm even more behind.
Old 05-08-22, 09:57 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Tough Cardio Mix... DONE!
Cathe 4 Day Split Hi Intensity Step/Chest and Back... DONE!

So I was pooped yesterday. I couldn't face Cathe, so I did a Firm. I loved it! It wasn't really tough, but it was fun! My legs were just tired. Friday it was 70 something degrees out, so I walked around and picked up trash around the yard from the construction, then swept and rearranged the back deck where LB and I spend most of our mornings in the summer, and moved a heavy bench from the side of the yard to the front yard. I am trying to make the house look less junky and more welcoming. It's always been all shades of rock colors and light brown. I"m trying to make it more inviting. The bench is blocking the electrical plugs and the hose spigot. Both are so close to the front door and there's no way to make that look halfway decent. Now it does! So I had DH order some cushions from Home Depot (he gets a veterans discount), but for right now I have pink flamingo pillows and neutral colors on it.

I joked with LB that I ordered some hot, bright pink pillows for the bench since I loved how the flamingo pillows looked on it. She was not happy! I haven't corrected it, and when the cushions come she will be pleasantly surprised. HA!

Yesterday was 90 in town, and LB had westernaires and a birthday party. It was so stinking hot. She was very obviously wilted at the party. So we spent about 6 hours out in the heat! I hate that it went from too cold to be outside to too hot to be outside in the span of 48 hours!

DH took me out to eat last night for Mother's Day, so today I am just hanging out so far. He has the concrete guy coming out this morning, and we will probably hit church (which we haven't done in a while!). other than that, maybe I'll go get some summer shoes and read books!

I have been noticing that I wear these cute skorts, then I wear socks (tucked down or short socks) and sneakers with them. I want to go look at sandals and maybe make my style a little less "gym" and a little more "beach" for the summer. I looked in the mirror and went "what am I doing??" I guess sometimes you have to do that!

So now I am on a shoes quest!

Eventmom: I'm glad your semester is wrapping up! Short timers syndrome is the worst! Fall semester will be the longest semester of your entire career.
So I used to have DH do the trash as his contribution to the household chores. However, when I would tell him it's trash day, he would drag his feet taking it out and it made me crazy! I don't want to miss the truck. So I ended up doing it (which is what led to my broken finger, HA!) . I still do. I hate dragging out the super heavy bags! Sorry your DH is still laid up... how long is his recovery? that's gotta be hard on both of you.

Ebianco and Eventmom: Eugene's eye cleared up a bit when I used the drops I had from past goopy eyes. I stopped dropping him since he HATES it, and his eyes were clear for a bit, but they are starting to water and get goopy again. So I guess I will have to drop them again more consistently. I couldn't figure out yesterday why my eyes kept burning like I had a chemical or something in them... then I remembered, oh yea, allergy season. I can't wear eye makeup this time of year or else I look like Tammy Fay Baker.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-08-22, 05:35 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday- TA level 2.12 day 1 + 20 min gina b walk
this new level is a full 30 minutes so I bit tougher than the last level
today- Action Jacquelyn cardio barre

by the time I figured out where to go for mother's day brunch they only had 10 am reservations so I needed to keep my workout short and I didn't want to struggle through a TA level that was so new. I realize that the Action J workouts are easier than TA and may explain why I haven't been getting much in the way of results. But they probably were good when I was dealing with dr stuff. But I tried on like 8 dresses last night to figure out what to wear. I noticed that they are fitting better even if they don't all fit so I guess some progress after all.

buzzer - I very intentionally stayed for fall because I've got 8 nights of in person and 8 night remote of the 'easiest' of my classes (meaning least technical). It will up my pension about around $400/ month so I will find a way to deal with those 16 nights. LOL. And I can really back off on showing up for things. So hopefully it won't be so terrible. It was 94 today! But 90 in colorado that's crazy hot! So sorry, I'm sure LB wilted. Poor Eugene and did I talk about the pony's eye saga in January? So yep we got some pet eye karma happening.

hi ebianco!
Old 05-11-22, 06:51 AM  
Buzzer

4 Day Split low impact step with Delts.... DONE!
4 day split kickboxing plus legs and abs.. DONE!

The low impact step was so much better than the hi impact step!! It was more doable, which isn't saying much since I still couldn't do it all! I was able to do it on the step though, so that's good. the delts were hard though! I felt them for sure the next day!

Yesterday I did legs and abs. The abs were OK... I remembered Ebianco saying something about how full sit ups aren't good but Cathe does a bunch. I agree! I have always heard that too! However, I was thinking that Pilates does roll ups, and it seems like no one says anything about those! So I do them slower than Cathe (I pause her to do them slower), and focus on pulling in my abs and doing it more like a roll up (and down) than a Cathe powering up full sit up. I don't know if it's right, but it's what I do! She has been doing them even after I have heard they aren't good... she just keeps doing them. So it seems like she wouldn't do something continually if it wasn't safe.

The legs weren't too tough, they were good. I wouldn't call this series "advanced" and Xtrain series "intermediate". I would reverse that! The only reason, I think, 4DS is listed as advanced is because of the complicated step moves.

It's been a good diversion from the Xtrains. I have liked the workouts, but not loved them. I think the complicated step has turned them into a like, because it's hard to love them when you don't feel like you are actually DOING the workout. Cathe definitely banks on the fact that people will do the workout enough to have it memorized.

I am currently looking at a rotation of Ice and Strong and Sweaty. I have both sets and want to try them both, so a rotation of both would be great. I have had ICE since I pre ordered it, and have never done it. So it'll be good to do it!

We also went on a hike yesterday, so I got 15k steps yesterday. We went with a group of Mom's who had kids around LB's age or younger, so we had a slower walk, but it was good.

Today I need to spend some time on the house and on the island! Plus we have to do school. LB has a birthday party this morning, luckily it's close to home (the park just walking distance from our house!) so it'll be a peaceful, nice day.

Eventmom: Ok, that is totally worth it to do next semester!! That's great!
I don't think you talked about the pony's eye in January! Geez. What is with these guys' eyes?!? Eugene's eye is doing better. Some days are better than others!
The hike yesterday the sun was hot, the shade was cool. I was wearing a tank top with a jacket, and ended up leaving the jacket on even if it was hot because I knew as soon as I hit shade I would want to put it back on. I ended up getting sunburnt on my face, which I didn't realize would happen. There were some kids who kept taking their sweatshirts or jackets off and on. It just seemed exhausting!

I need to spend a day on this house. I swear when I don't spend a day every now and then, it gets so out of hand!

Hi Ebianco!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 05-11-22, 09:12 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

It was such a busy weekend and work week I am behind! But I have been getting in my workouts:

Saturday: My first try with Penny Bradshaw "Garage Fitness Girl" another new find on youtube I've been wanting to try, there are just so many!! Also I really like Growwithjo for walking-style workouts as an extended warm up. So on Saturday I started with Growwithjo (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBb...MXm_p&index=66) which I really like, then this Penny Bradshaw total body workout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33IK...IT5yzc&index=4) which I also really liked, I thought it was well structured and thought out, plus 15 minutes stretch for a 75 minute workout!

Sunday: Another quickie rebound warm up workout with Jump&Jacked, another youtube instructor I've grown to like, for more of a rebound warm up (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibhn...ndex=70&t=727s), then Pure Barre Results Thighs and stretch for a 60 minute workout.

Mon-Tues, planned rest days! But I did actually go for a long walk on Monday!

Today returning to it with ANOTHER new youtube instructor I've been wanting to try, Vera LaRo with lower body (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG66...i4uVpN&index=7) with stretch was a 54 minute workout. I like that Vera has a lot of variety of exercises, and some unique stuff. She is kind of on the order of Heather Robertson or maybe a little tougher. I thought Penny Bradshaw was structured closer to Caroline but still more variety, which is great and fun and challenging, but not as killer as Caroline who has less variety but more burnout.

Yesterday was my return to the office! It was so hectic and the day blew by, and I tried to be as social as possible with everyone, most of who I haven't seen for 2+ years!! (Lots of hugs were shared ) And I was informally hinted at that I didn't need to come in a second day, so I'm home today I really hope I can stick with the one day a week. I was so exhausted at the end of the day and it was tough waking up early for exercise today. But it was also good to push past the unknown and just do it, and I'm excited about keeping it up. I work with a lot of great people I've known for years.

Eventmom Thank you, actually DH's levels finally went down, after several days right on schedule! It's still elevated but it is significantly improved from where it was, so he feels much better.

I'm glad the barn kitty is doing better now!

Buzzer Yes it's interesting about Pilates roll ups vs sit-ups, like you mentioned I think it's mostly due to the controlled way that you lift yourself up! Rather than whipping yourself up and relying on momentum possibly. I also tend to slow down and focus on control when I do sit-ups anymore.

I'm glad Eugene is doing better too! I have noticed with my dogs eyes, that once the eyes clear up you can go a day or two, but then they start getting red again soon after that, so it seems like it's constantly keeping a flare up at bay. That's the allergies I guess!
Old 05-11-22, 01:50 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Monday - TA 2.12 - day 2 + some cardio
Tuesday - Jacquelyn yoga stretch
Today - Jacquelyn Barre sculpt + 20 min karen voight cardio

buzzer - can't remember now if I posted details on the pony's eye but basically 5 trips to the vet. Fortunately there is a new equine vet 5 min from my house. but yeah, eyes! our house is completely out of hand! hopefully once this semester is DONE I'll start working on getting rid of stuff and organizing.

ebianco - so glad your dh is getting results from his medication! Wow - back to the office after 2 years that must have felt odd but glad you may only have to deal with your commute one day a week. Not just for less commute time but fuel prices!