Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-23-22, 09:59 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Hey you gals doing Caroline's workouts....which one/s do you like best? Is there a harder series? Soooo many options! Hard to know what to do.

I've still been working through Epic 1. Today I did Day 6 Arms & Abs but I also added on a 20 minute HARD upper with weights (or something like that). Holy! both were amazing, both were challenging. I've been writing down what Caroline uses for weights and try to get close to her. So far I have not gone heavier than her but within 1-2lbs.
OMG! I'm close to her in numbers but in lbs!!!! You're mighty strong as your new avatar shows so well !

I can't really help on a series suggestion because I tend to mix & match. I often choose shorter workouts from her Heat series.
But the other day, I combined 2 UB from the Iron series and I liked working the muscles for 1 minute.
lavna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 11:18 AM  
ChelePA

It was nice getting outside yesterday for the first time in a while to walk Winston. He’s a little bugger these days. He will completely stop and not move if he doesn’t want to go in a certain direction.

Peloton workouts included 10 minutes of core. 10 minutes of arms and light weights. I’m always astonished at how high my heart rate gets lifting just 3 pound dumbbells. With certain instructors I only use 2 pounds. 20 minutes of medium to heavy weights upper body.

I decided to add on Cathe’s Low Impact Step, floor only. The warm-up was doable using the basic moves. Then I tried combo one. Lots of modifications and it definitely worked my balance with all the turns and twists. I was very cautious in order to protect my knee. I may look at Kat’s basic step routines. Can’t remember if she stays forward facing with many of the combos. She always has lots of modifications so I may be able to handle 10-20 minutes. Fingers crossed. I really miss step!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 03:33 PM  
manleym

ChelePA that is crazy parents will spend $800+ for a prom dress! But everything has gotten ridiculous - weddings, birthday parties, etc. Glad your daughter is mindful and that ya'll found one her size and a great price. For me, part of the fun is finding a deal.

Bee and Kittybug I'll have to start paying more attention as to the moves that make my elbow hurt. I think lying tricep extensions, certain variations of tricep pushups and skull crushers. Speaking of which, when doing the skull crusher move I dropped the weight on my chest just below my collar bone and now have a nice yellow bruise.

ChelePA and Bee as much as I love to watch sports I haven't watched any of the NBA playoff games. Not sure why either. It just never dawned on me to watch them. Keep me posted on who wins.

VVFer yay on finding the awesome bike path! Nice that the city made sure to offer so many trails and paths. Have fun exploring!

KateTT LOVE your new avatar! PERFECT! I would suggest Endgame. It is FAB-U-LOUS!!

Kittybug if you run across that YT vid, please share! I might be able to search for it. Interesting that it was called "flossing." Your Nancy story is hilarious! Sounds like ya'll had a fun conversation!

And yes, like some of ya'll I've had trouble with VF webpage loading. I attributed it to the crazy wind but it could be something else since so many of us are having trouble.

Thursday would have been my mom's 88th birthday. When I got home from work the iris's I transplanted from her yard to mine were blooming. First bloom of the year. Heart moment.

Hugs and waves all!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 03:42 PM  
manleym

Workouts:

Tuesday: Essentrics Aging Backwards 2 Connective Tissue Revealed workouts 1 & 2 - Full Body Connective Tissue & Back Pain & Posture (she talks ALOT but I did feel taller; lengthened and stretched out; slow movement felt good) + IRON Series 30 Min Upper Body Chest and Triceps Workout Day 12 + CL #358 30 Minute Kickbox Express (GREAT! Very flexible; works well as double; can wear weighted gloves and go all out, or no gloves & SS; I didn’t wear gloves since I’d just done IRON Day 12; did CL WU, then IRON, then rest of CL)

Wednesday: IRON Series 30 Min Posterior Chain Workout - Glutes, Hamstrings, Back Day 13 (GREAT! FLEW!) + 20 Minute Glute Workout with Ankle Weights (Optional) Knee Friendly (BURNER!)

Thursday: Jessica Smith Walk On 15 Min Fast Fat Blasts - all walks: Fast Fat Burn, Belly Blaster, Power Pick Up, Dance Party (good recovery workout - needed it today - ate WAY too much junk yesterday and allergies were bad; HR up some; nice mix; wish there was a Play All option instead of having to go through each walk separately to do all of them)

Friday: Unplanned rest day. Had a long meeting at work that ran late, then traffic was an absolute mess, so I got home alot later than expected. Not long after being home, a guy doing some yard work for us stopped by so we could show him what we want done. I didn't know he was stopping by until I talked to hubby on my way home. So it worked out for the best to have an unplanned rest day.

Saturday: IRON Series 30 Min Unilateral Training Full Body Workout 14 (GREAT! FLEW!) + 30 Min Pumping Cardio Workout Full Body - No Equipment At Home (LOVED! GREAT mix of high impact, low impact, & BW moves; doable pace - none of the high impact moves were rushed or done too quickly; nice variety of moves; FLEW) + Jessica Smith WS BB+IS Core Control (nice, flowing, fluid; good after Caroline) + Advanced Lastics Fully Body with Splits stretch
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 06:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh you guys...... I finally saw Nate the Great this morning! I did 272, I think it is.... kickboxing. Wow, he has great form! And is a great form. As I was doing the workout and thinking about him I wondered and hoped that maybe he will be in the new STS videos! I doubt it, but it was something fun to think about during the workout. That's the most action this 60 year old has had in a long time.

manleym, that's lovely about the iris blooming on your mom's birthday! Hey I meant to tell you that hubby and I laughed out loud at your music comment -- grocery store music being your jam. So funny!

Kate, yes, love the new avatar! And wow, you can match Caroline's weights?! Sheesh, I sometimes can't even do the kg number in pounds -- if that makes sense. As for which series..... I don't know since I've never done a full series til now -- I'm definitely really enjoying Iron and will stick with it til the end, I'm pretty sure, though today I stuck in an extra "rest" day -- with kickboxing instead. The Iron workouts may be shorter than what you're looking for, but I do think she lifts heavier in Iron than in her earlier stuff.

kittybug, thanks for the Nancy story -- really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I've had an email exchange with her at some point over the years. I'm not a fan of Caroline's music, either. Some of it I find easier to tune out than others. Honestly I only have the sound on for the beeps.

Chele, I'm glad you enjoyed the Parks show! That's as much as I've watched too, but I'll definitely watch more. Bummer about the Gaga concert. Pre-pandemic I suggested to my sister that we fly to Vegas and see her. My sister said "no offense, but I'm not a fan." She's only two years older than I am! My son is watching all the playoff games he can..... I usually watch the ends of some over his shoulder. I'll watch more as it gets closer to the end.

Vintage, it does sound like you're in a lovely area and making the most of it! Good for you!

I can't remember what workout I last wrote about but I did the Iron one that was so many lunges. I can't go very heavy on lower body yet -- and in fact, my backside has been talking to me a bit, so that's partly why I wanted an extra day off from Caroline -- part of it was a scheduling issue. Then did Chest and Triceps yesterday. Today was meant to be the posterior one, but I just couldn't really face it so that'll be tomorrow. The kickboxing with Cathe this morning was so much fun -- I haven't done kickboxing in a long time!

Waves to lavna, Kim, horusosiris, and FOLV.
Old 04-23-22, 07:12 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi Watulans!

I'm so darn behind as well! I'll post my workouts separately to "try" to avoid the dreaded 500 error! Here's my week! We got our Covid booster #4 on Monday with no side effects. We weighed Olly and he's gained a pound since last month---now up to 10 lbs 3 oz. Funny but Ammy has always been a little skittish but she walked right onto the scale this time and she weighs almost the same as Olly now! When we got her she weighed just over 6 pounds. She was tiny and pretty thin so she did need to put on some weight.

Chele, you are so lucky that your daughter is so practical about things like proms. It never has made any sense to me that people spend a ton of money on those kinds of things, but to each his/her own, I guess. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think I've wasted a lot of $$ on fitness related items. I didn't buy either of my wedding dresses for just my weddings. One of them I wore to work and the other I would wear out to dinner. No fancy weddings either. Oh, IIRC Kat's basic step doesn't have complicated choreography and faces forward almost all of the time except maybe for an occasional around the world move.

Kate, the avatar picture of you with your grandkids is just super cute! You are so darn fierce getting so close to Caroline in your weight selection, but we Watulans already knew that about you.

manley, so bittersweet when mom's birthday comes every year. I always feel grateful to have had such a great mom but I still miss her so much

FN1, cute story about Nancy the Countess/Customer Service. She seems like such a nice person and funny how you waved at each other!

bee, I periodically get elbow issues too, but my problem is with the right arm (I'm right handed). Like you, skull crushers aggravate it along with overhead extensions, but pullovers not at all. I haven't had the issue in quite some time. I think it happened because I was doing too many high rep workouts but I can't be sure. My triceps are definitely stronger than they were so that probably helps as well. Good luck with your month long job! It sounds like it will be a nice change of pace. We expect reports!!

ToddlerW, great that you are exploring and finding some cool places to hike and/or bike!

horusosiris, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this post doesn't give me an error. It's very frustrating.

Kim, ugh on snow! I like winter (at least winter here) but I'm ready for spring temperatures and flowers.

Nathalie, I thought about you today since I chose another Cathe Live that has the Insane Smiling Woman in it! It's #249 Cardio Fusion. Cathe introduced her as a visitor. I guess she visits a lot since she's been in several of the Lives, fully made up and smiling like crazy. I still think she is auditioning--it just doesn't look natural to me like the other participants.

Waves to MamaW!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 07:12 PM  
horusosiris

Hello All

I am continuing on with the Iron Series. I did the posterior chain workout and the unilateral workout and both were good. I also did the most recent CL and it was just OK. I know I said the same thing last week.

Kittybug- I never do the workouts with Carolyn. Below each of her videos, she has outlined the entire workout (number of sets, timing, pace etc.) I just copy it and do it from my paper copy. I may skip through the video if I am uncertain from her description of what I should be doing. I usually play music or watch a movie while I do the workout.

All the ladies with elbow issues especially with triceps work- have you tried foam rolling your triceps, especially near the elbow? It works wonders for me for getting rid of the knots, etc which most are not even aware that they have until they foam roll (I now use the knotty/pointy foam roller). "Myofascial release" really does work. The fascia can get knots and callouses. It may take several weeks and initially you may feel slightly bruised but stay with it. Breaking all that up can work miracles. Be sure to stretch your triceps other than the usual overhead triceps stretch. Actually, Sagi (in Body Beast) had some of the best triceps stretches that I now ALWAYS incorporate into my upper body stretch routine.

Chel I did watch the Sixers game (I taped it and then watched it, because I only wanted to see the game and nothing else going on the the world). When I am in and around the city, I often walk at any of the Parks in LI or WC or any or the Botanical Gardens. We have many great hiking trails. When I am out of the city and at my house, I do so much hiking. My house borders on a huge state park! I can walk out of my backyard right into the wooded area state park , which nobody really knows about. Most people, I imagine just think it is part of our property. My hand is coming along slowly. My wrist is less edematous and I think I am beginning to recover some of the feeling in a small segment of my hand. Thanks for asking.

Sunday Here We Come!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 07:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Here's my workouts since my post on Saturday the 16th.

Sunday, rest day.

Monday, Cathe's Power Max, More cheesy, hot fun!

Tuesday, CL #228 Cathe Claus 2018 Christmas workout. Fun!

Wednesday, CL #230 Twenty Five.

Thursday, Step Fit. This is the workout that Cathe says "was that a sheep" and that always makes me smile. I was only hot once and less woo hooing. Ah, the evolution of video workouts. I followed it with an Upper Body Growing Annanas. It was roughly 30 minutes and I really enjoyed it! Most of the music was instrumental so no angsty teenager type lyrics to annoy me, and other than the extension-type moves (Superman), I didn't have to modify excessively. I will say that she uses the same weight for almost all of the exercises and I switched around more. I don't know what weight she used either and I would have liked it if she had shared that.

Friday, CL #231 Bring It Bootcamp. I brought it.

Today, CL #249 Cardio Muscle Fusion. This is a new favorite. I do wish I could block out Cray Cray woman, though (see above post). Sometimes she distracted my attention with the maniacal smiling. I guess maybe some people smile crazily if they are nervous and feel like they are supposed to smile widely for the camera. I think I would be more likely to exhibit RBF in all its glory as I would be so focused on doing the exercises.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-22, 10:42 AM  
ChelePA

Bee…you crack me up! Love Nate too!!!

Cataddict…thanks for the info on Kat.

Manleym…happy heavenly birthday to your mom. ((Hugs))

Horusosiris…how wonderful to have a park basically in your backyard.
Healing vibes your way.

Nathalie…I agree Kate is superwoman !!!

Kittybug…Nancy has been awesome anytime J had an issue.

Kim…hope you are enjoying the nicer weather. Looks perfect today. Might pick up more leaves in our yard today since my husband can help blow them all out of the bushes.

I got myself down this morning and a little frustrated. Tried to do Cathe’s low impact step, combo two. Not happening despite trying to do the moves on the floor. It was a reminder that I still have so much more recovering before coming close to doing any type of step routine like this. And who knows if I will ever get there. Trying to turn my mood around. I jumped on the bike and did two 20 minute cycling classes. One was all 80s rock music. Loved it! Another one was all Paramore music. I chose it because the instructor always makes me happy. Didn’t realize how much of the music I really liked from this band too. I can never name who sings songs and this workout proved it. Ha ha. Really great class! Finished with 10 minutes yoga flow focusing on pyramid and triangle poses.

Happy Sunday!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-22, 10:55 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hey Watulan elbow sufferers, I found the video I mentioned here. He's a bit over-the-top but sort of endearing, hah! Anywho, I have both lateral and medial elbow pain yet these still give some relief, so maybe a starting point. I like Horusosiris' suggestion for rolling at the triceps area...have to try that too. Happy Sunday, Watulans!!

P.S. We haven't heard from Kim in a while...hope all is well!!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in