Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-22, 08:13 AM  
Dancing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
I enjoyed The Good Sister. Just started Hepworth’s book The Younger Wife.
I haven't read a lot of psychological suspense before, but I'm really craving it at the moment so it's good to find authors with a back catalog I can binge-read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I enjoyed the Earthsea books. It’s been a few years since I read them. (I wonder if my teens would like them…)
This is my first time reading them. They're slow-paced - more like Dune than Harry Potter - so it probably depends on how patient your kids are!

Just finished:
The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea #2, Ursula LeGuin)

Just started:
The Whole30 (Melissa Hartwig Urban and Dallas Hartwig)
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 03:01 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I started Daughter of Molokai, the follow-up to a book I absolutely LOVED. It was okay, nothing wrong with it, but it just didn't engage me enough for me to continue.

I'm also reading Lady Clementine, a novel about Winston Churchill's wife. The book had a slow start, but I've stuck with it. She is a fascinating character.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 03:46 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I have started and not finished three or four books lately. I don't know what's wrong with me. Nothing is holding my interest and it's making me crazy. Hopefully, will get back in the groove soon. Does anyone else have dry spells like this?
Definitely. I kept track of the few I did finish once, and realized that my preferences had shifted. Knowing that makes it easier now to hunt things out.
Old 04-10-22, 03:58 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I started Daughter of Molokai, the follow-up to a book I absolutely LOVED.
I did like this book but not nearly as much as the first. Maybe I only liked it as much as I did because it was related to the first one.

Finished "This Boy We Made: A Memoir of Motherhood, Genetics, and Facing the Unknown" and had mixed feelings about it. Also read the first "Humans of New York" book. I love these books but this was my least favorite of the three I've read.

Currently reading, "What My Bones Know: A Memoir of Healing from Complex Trauma." Almost done with it and anxious to move on to, "CONCUSSION RESCUE: A COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM TO HEAL TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY." I'm struggling with post-concussive syndrome and am hoping this has some tips to help with symptoms.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 08:23 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
I LOVED The Lincoln Highway. Then I read his A Gentleman in Moscow, and it was just okay.

Patrice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
LOL, I read A Gentleman in Moscow first (a while ago) and liked it better.

With The Lincoln Highway there are some things I absolutely love and others...not so much. He's a great writer.

Erica
I read A gentleman in Moscow and The Rules of Civility both of which I liked but haven't tried Lincoln Highway yet.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 08:28 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Erica, please post what you think about "Crying in H Mart" My son bought it but has not read it yet. He met the author a few years ago after she played at a tiny club in Philly.
I really loved this book. My favorite book group read this year so far. I really don't think this is something a young man would be interested in reading though. I agree with Erica's comments about it.
Old 04-10-22, 08:37 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I'm currently reading "Red Famine" by Anne Applebaum
I have this on hold at the Library. I actually have Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands on my nightstand which is also about Ukraine. I intend to start it when I get done with my current read Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. Nothing like some light reading (NOT!)
Old 04-11-22, 10:22 AM  
Lorelai

I admit I binge listened to Summerhaven and finished it in record time. If you like a good proper regency romance then I HIGHLY recommend it! The characters were good but not perfect, the story had substance, and there was a ton of chemistry. I felt super invested in the story. I really appreciate a good romance, and I think authors who can write it so well without relying on graphic scenes are especially talented.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 01:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Funny there are Gentleman in Moscow comments on this page. I was just coming here to post that I finished Middlemarch and have just come late to the party on A Gentleman in Moscow -- just starting it. I have a long distance friend who shares my love of reading (probably more of a reader than I am, honestly) and so we read Middlemarch "together" and every couple of weeks zoomed to talk about it. Decided we're going to do that with War and Peace but first we are doing some lighter reading with GiM. I would *never* read War and Peace on my own, so this will be interesting.....
Old 04-11-22, 04:16 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

So I watched the Hulu movie “Deep Water” with Ben Affleck and found out it was based on an older novel written by Patricia Highsmith. I bought a kindle version on Amazon that was definitely not the original! It looks like someone just “typed” it out, lol. All the text was underlined and it was full of typos. Anyway, I made it through.

The book was very dated and it seemed like all the characters did was smoke, drink alcohol, and have parties. It was published in 1957 and it ends much different than the movie. All in all, I actually liked the movie more (although that wasn’t great either).
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, danielle friedman, kindle, reading, spring reading