Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-22, 10:29 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I bought a weighted hoop and didn't use it so I returned it. Now I'm sorry I didn't at least try it. Maybe I should try again.
Old 03-22-22, 07:13 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm looking for some new to me no/low impact cardio that will still make you sweat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
...something fun, low impact, and preferably helps tighten up the midsection.
How about the Island Girl Dance Fitness workouts (and/or other hula workouts)? Or bellydance workouts?

Hula workouts

Hula dance workouts

Hula dance fitness workouts

Bellydance workouts

For the midsection, I like this short, fun workout:

Tiffany Rothe 10 min waist workout

Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-22, 11:14 AM  
Scorpio6

Why don't you try belly dancing?
Many beginner dvds on Amazon and then online Jennifer Sobel of Feminine Fire belly dancing is excellent, she also does a much shorter program called The Bellydance Solution which is a one time fee instead of every month.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-22, 10:32 AM  
SamS

I used to hoop dance a lot. About the weighted hoops... I wouldn't bother with one that is intentionally weighted. The adult sized hoops made for dancing are heavier than the kids hoops due to their size and the heavier gauge materials used. (I would guess mine weights 2-3 pounds). Lighter, smaller hoops do spin faster so you have to work harder to keep them up (I sometimes play with a kid's hoop I bought at a grocery store). The larger, heavier hoops spin slower so in some ways it is easier to keep them going. Hoop dancers often hoop on the arms, chest, thighs as well as the waist. I don't think you could do that with the weighted nibbed hoops I've seen -- at least I wouldn't take that risk! I can't hoop on the chest due to my body type but I do hand, arm and thigh hooping as well as the hips and further up the waist.

I don't really get much workout standing and hooping though it is definitely an exercise in coordination, awareness and has core/lower back engagement. To get an aerobic workout I had to work up to including arm movements, traveling steps, spins, and hooping in different areas of the body. At that point it is a lot of fun and is of course low impact.

I also do "belly dance" and a few other types of dance. I used to dance in a couple of troupes and took dance classes since college. I've dabbled in a few types of dance.

ETA: The hoops I have are Hoopnotica but there are a lot of people who make similar. Some make their own with PVC tubing from a hardware store and gaffers tape. I think the dance hoops are also prettier than the weighted hoops so more fun to use.
SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-22, 12:30 PM  
Vantreesta

I was going to get a kids' hoop at Walmart the other day. I thought they might be $5 max. I was surprised to see they were $8 smthg. I didn't get one that day but still may.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-22, 12:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

SamS - that you for that wonderful subject matter expert post! i will try to look into a kiddie one. makes me regret leaving that Hoopnotica hoop at that thrift store that i mentioned about earlier.

makes sense about having a wider circumference - the momentum would keep it up when it's swinging around your waist.

arms and HR: interesting - i remember when i first started rebounding and wore my HRM, the only way i could get my HR up was to do lots of arm movements. i suppose the same rule applies with hooping.

Van: you might be able to find a cheaper one at the thrift store maybe? my hoop in my youth had these beads/marbles in it and it would make a cool beat ra-chaaaa-cha.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-22, 12:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Jeannine, I've never noticed one at the thrift store but I also wasn't looking. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-22, 10:38 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I'm kind of a hula hooping junkie I have many different sizes and types of hoops. Etsy is a fun place for hula hoop shopping, but definitely more if it's a legit hobby you end up getting into. There is a huge variety of colors and sizes and taped hoops, but they can get spendy!

The larger the circumference, the easier it will be to keep it up because you have more time for each rotation. The heavier the material it is made of, the slower it will move, which also means a slightly heavier hoop (HDPE) will be easier to learn with than a lighter weight one (polypro) I have NOT used the weighted exercise hoops that weigh 3 or more pounds so I can't really comment on those.

I really like using twin mini hoops for different tricks and illusions.

For instruction, I really recommend Deanne Love's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanneLove She has tons of tutorials from beginner (keeping the hoop moving around your waist) to tricks and flows. There are tons of free hooping resources on YouTube.

For inspiration, I like Morgan Jenkins https://www.youtube.com/c/MorganJenkinsHoops/videos and especially Rachael Lust https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU2...rRMxVsm8qf0X4w

Regular waist hooping may not be too much of a workout but you will probably still feel it afterwards when you are new to it. But it's a really fun activity and is great for working on coordination and proprioception. There are workouts that use the hoop as a prop for more of an exercise effect. Niece Pecenka has a set of DVDs that you can probably find on ebay, and Marisa Tomei has a hooping exercise DVD series as well.
Old 03-26-22, 12:53 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks everyone!

Venus and SamS I bellydanced years ago, but not for fitness. I also danced in a troupe. I may have two or three dvds for bellydance fitness around here.

Venus I was looking into hula fitness too. I'll check out those links

Zraipel thanks for the hula hoop links!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hooping, hoopnotica, hula hoop