Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-22, 04:44 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

If I've been away from exercise for a while, I sometime like to use more gentle and healing workouts like Tai Chi, Qi Gong or yoga. I don't know if you like Lee Holden, but his 30 Day Challenge DVD is excellent and a good place to begin. The workouts are only seven minutes each! He's wonderful for recovery or again when you just want some gentle movement to get you going again. I also like David-Dorian Ross and his Tai Chi workouts. He has such a warm and friendly nature.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-22, 06:14 PM  
Lorelai

Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith's fusion workouts are what I've clicked with the most over the years. The many times I've tried to start again, they are who I turn to. This last time, I went straight to Jessica, mostly because of her walking workouts and because she's better about form cues than Ellen. Also something about Ellen's big ranges of motion just felt exhausting. I spent a few weeks taking it easy with Jessica's workouts, but was feeling tired and achy. I tried the connective tissue workout on YouTube and began my infatuation with Essentrics. I feel kinda obsessed with how good it makes me feel and I haven't looked back yet. I do recommend the Essentrics TV trial period just because there are some critical workshops on form, modifications etc that I think are very important. regardless of what you decide to try, and I do agree that you should do what speaks to you even if you have to modify the heck out of it, do it in front of a mirror for at least the first little while because what I thought I was doing was not what I was actually doing... Whether that was with Jessica, Ellen or Essentrics. I strained a muscle in my back and have been doing only floor work (for some reason it's easier for me to not use my arms as much when I'm sitting), and there are a few all floor episodes in season 10 of Classical Stretch that are gold. I've been doing the back pain relief all floor episode the most because it hits all of my really tight areas and makes me feel very relaxed... Plus a few targeted floor exercises for my hips, glutes and psoas. Anyway, I say to do whatever makes you feel the best, because in the end that is the best motivation.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-22, 04:44 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
My exercise has been hit or miss since about November. No health issues just lots of interruptions. I have been going to PT twice a week so I haven't been totally inactive, but I really need to get on a regular program again. Any suggestions. Tend to get bored with beginner workouts, but that's what I need.
Would love suggestions.
Find something you like and will stick with. If you need beginner workouts, choose a workout style or instructor you enjoy and aim to be consistent.

Last time I restarted, I started following the Yoga with Adriene monthly calendar.

Yoga with Adriene calendar

After I had been consistent for a while, I started adding in short workouts, then beginner and senior workouts. Even when they felt too easy, I continued and built up my endurance and consistency until I could do "harder" workouts and establish a routine. Now, I've been doing monthly rotations for a while.

Here's where I described my rotation and restarting experience earlier this year if you'd like to read about it:

My rotation

About restarting

I just started a Cathe (Gym Style series) rotation this month. I'm only using dumbbells. I've been doing the Timesaver premixes, which would be great for restarting (especially if you use no or low weights).

Here is my current rotation:

Mon- Cathe, yoga
Tue- Cardio and/or Pilates, yoga
Wed- Cathe, yoga
Thu- Cardio and/or Pilates, yoga
Fri- Cathe, yoga
Sat- Choice, yoga
Sun- Rest, yoga

I like Pilates and dance cardio for a lighter workout day. They would be ideal for restarting, too. I tend to prefer 20-25 minute workouts (instead of 10-15 minutes), something like Winsor Pilates (any of the 20 min. workouts) or Pilates Beginning Mat Workout with Ana Caban. You can alternate with a short cardio and/or weight workout (depending on your preference). If you like Jillian Michaels, her 30 Day Shred or the Ripped in 30 workouts would be good short options and include cardio and toning.

Jessica Smith has rotations on her website. The Calm and Strong or the January Jump Start rotations might be a good choice for restarting.

Jessica Smith rotations

I like the Popsugar Fitness YouTube channel for variety and fun workouts:

POPSUGAR Fitness

POPSUGAR Fitness playlists

Also, I agree with seeing if there's any interest in a restarting check-in. I've participated in a few check-ins (posted here in General Discussion); they were fun and kept me motivated. Here's the most recent one if you would like to join in.

Celebrity Workout Check-in

Here are some suggestions I've made on other threads that have workouts you might be interested in:

Sunny, outdoor workouts

Short beginner strength workouts

October 2021 Rotation (for rotation ideas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Do the workouts you love, no matter what they are. Start with something that is 10 or 15 minutes long then add on if you feel like you want to do more. Sometimes, you just need to start something short and you'll be more motivated to do more.
I think this is a great suggestion. Get Healthy U TV has free 10-minute workouts if you choose this option.

GHUTV 10-Minute Workouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
For me, my brain training years ago was to always come back from an injury or workload layoff by pulling out Slim in 6 Start It Up...
I'll second Slim in 6 Start It Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
When I'm restarting I usually reach for indoor walking workouts, whether Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith or Jenny Ford. I don't want to think too much about a rotation, until I know I can be consistent again. Yeah, it can be a bit boring but I enjoy the positivity and encouragement from these above instructors.
Indoor walking would be a great choice, and there are so many options on YouTube! Here are a couple of threads where I've listed suggestions for walking workouts:

Gentle walks/cardio

Short walking workouts on YouTube
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-22, 06:19 PM  
unfetteredpast

Lots of good stuff here. I will be joining you in a week or so. I was moving my adjustable weight bench this morning and picked it up by the adjustable and not the stationary part, and the base landed on my foot (bare, I should add) quite heavily. I went to an urgent care facility to get x-rays because it smacked hard on the bony part of the top of my foot. No fractures, but I was told I was going to be unhappy for the next 3-5 days. I've been inconsistent for the past year, after a stellar 2020. COVID malaise finally caught up with me plus a lot of other personal issues. It's always something. The idea of restarting sounds good.
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-22, 07:02 PM  
Lorelai

I'd join a restarting check in. Technically I restarted in January but I still feel like I'm in that phase. I've wanted to get back in a check in but my old restarted/perennial beginners check in appears to be no more, and it's hard to randomly jump in an already established check in. But I need some people who "get it" to talk to about Essentrics and Miranda-isms.

Old 03-14-22, 04:32 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
thanks for the reminder - i used to do street light to street light intervals.
I sometimes do what I call “Point to Point”, though it would be better to call it “Landmark to Landmark”. I pick a landmark ahead that is a decision point rather than an automatic switch point. At the landmark, I decide if I’ll continue my pace or switch it, and I then pick out the next landmark. It works well for walk/run, run/sprint, or even just slight changes in pace for runs.

I wuss out on running in the cold and dark once Christmas is over. (This cold days wuss-out is extra wuss because I spent 6 years never missing my outdoor boot camp class, even on some days in the teens, so I know how to dress for it.) I do my running re-starts with walk/runs for a few weeks. I don’t run on Texas warm winter days when yet another cold front will show up, so I re-start usually in late March or sometime in April depending on the weather forecasts.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 04:45 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
I'd join a restarting check in. Technically I restarted in January but I still feel like I'm in that phase. I've wanted to get back in a check in but my old restarted/perennial beginners check in appears to be no more, and it's hard to randomly jump in an already established check in. But I need some people who "get it" to talk to about Essentrics and Miranda-isms.
I might join a re-start check in if it works with what I’m doing. My youngest has moved his wife and toddler into my house for 6-months so they can get out of debt and my work load is currently nuts. Between work and playing Grandma/Chief Cook, I’ve missed several workouts over the past three weeks.

Yesterday I started a “100-days of at least 15 minutes of something” challenge for myself to push me away from my all-or-none attitude that says, “If I don’t have a 2-hour time slot to do warm up, UB/LB strength or athletic core, cardio or cardio effect, yoga/Pilates/stretch, and metabolic conditioning finisher, I’ll just get to work even earlier.” (And no, I seldom hit every type of workout I want to do in one 2-hour session; I just plan and imagine a fake greatness about overkill.)
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-22, 07:14 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I might join a re-start check in if it works with what I’m doing. My youngest has moved his wife and toddler into my house for 6-months so they can get out of debt and my work load is currently nuts. Between work and playing Grandma/Chief Cook, I’ve missed several workouts over the past three weeks.

Yesterday I started a “100-days of at least 15 minutes of something” challenge for myself to push me away from my all-or-none attitude that says, “If I don’t have a 2-hour time slot to do warm up, UB/LB strength or athletic core, cardio or cardio effect, yoga/Pilates/stretch, and metabolic conditioning finisher, I’ll just get to work even earlier.” (And no, I seldom hit every type of workout I want to do in one 2-hour session; I just plan and imagine a fake greatness about overkill.)
I have littles ages 7, 4.5 and 2.... I feel extremely fortunate if I can get a quiet 25 minutes for a Classical Stretch episode without there being a major disaster.

Old 03-16-22, 01:18 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I seem to constantly be restarting each week after all of my nagging injuries
This is me!! I'll start a rotation, feel good, and be super-motivated for about 10 days. That's when everything kicks in & I hurt all over. So then I lay off any structured workouts (and just do walking) for about 2-3 weeks; feel better. And the pattern resumes ...

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-22, 01:19 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Venus - great post! thank you for all the work you put into it.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restarting