Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-22-21, 05:41 PM  
DCW

We don't have a pantry or freezer. I want to buy a small freezer but no place to put it.

Wishing everyone happy holidays!!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 08:35 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I am setting some decluttering goals for 2022. So far I have:

Donate smthg to the thrift store each month

Read and donate 6 books for the year (I don't get to read often and many by favorite authors I want to keep, so this is to motivate me to read ones I don't plan to keep)

Finally get the spare room of dumping usable again and keep it that way, which will require finding better ways to store my yarn

Get my clothes and shoes organized and under control

Before each monthly big grocery trip, clean out fridge and pantry
Great idea Vannie! I think I'll set some goals for 2022 as well.
Mine are: Keep a thrift box going.
Keep up with recycllng.
Reduce clutter by reducing use of plastics.
BIG effort to rehome clothing that fits poorly or no longer fits at
all. Plan is to try Thred up, use thrift shop or other sources.

I'll feel especially good to let go of some clothes that I keep hanging on to because they sort of fit but not that comfortable......so I never wear them. Time to go to a new home!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-21, 09:40 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I have a Fujitsu Scan Snap. It was expensive -$400 but I have had it for about 4-5 years and I love it. I say it was the best $400 I have ever spent (along with my Dollamur exercise mats! ) It scans both sides at the same time and it is easy to edit the documents-deleting, reordering pages, flipping the orientation etc. You can even merge documents.
It is an earlier version of this:
https://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanS...s%2C165&sr=8-3
I have had this item on my amazon wishlist ever since you posted about it here. I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap portable scanner but no double-sided and you can't feed in more than one page at a time. Works great for some tasks but not for others.

Finally, I bought one similar to the one you linked to as my big Christmas present to myself for the year. I got the latest model and hope it's as good as earlier versions: https://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanS...dp/B08PMQQZ8H/

I ordered it online from Staples so I'd have a brick & mortar store to return it to if it turns out to be a disaster. I know amazon has fairly easy returns but still felt safer getting it from staples for some reason and it was the same price at both places.

It's supposed to be arriving in a day or two and I'm way more excited about it's arrival than I should be. Hoping to scan a lot of documents and get rid of a lot of banker boxes full of paperwork. Some paperwork can just be tossed without scanning but I like to save scans of certain paperwork like when I have work done on my car, etc. Can't wait to test drive this thing and scan to my heart's content! I might develop a little bit of a digital hoard after getting this thing.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 12:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I have had this item on my amazon wishlist ever since you posted about it here. I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap portable scanner but no double-sided and you can't feed in more than one page at a time. Works great for some tasks but not for others.

Finally, I bought one similar to the one you linked to as my big Christmas present to myself for the year. I got the latest model and hope it's as good as earlier versions: https://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanS...dp/B08PMQQZ8H/

I ordered it online from Staples so I'd have a brick & mortar store to return it to if it turns out to be a disaster. I know amazon has fairly easy returns but still felt safer getting it from staples for some reason and it was the same price at both places.

It's supposed to be arriving in a day or two and I'm way more excited about it's arrival than I should be. Hoping to scan a lot of documents and get rid of a lot of banker boxes full of paperwork. Some paperwork can just be tossed without scanning but I like to save scans of certain paperwork like when I have work done on my car, etc. Can't wait to test drive this thing and scan to my heart's content! I might develop a little bit of a digital hoard after getting this thing.
adawn - Keep us posted on how it works for you!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 02:08 PM  
BunnyHop

A big THANK YOU to this group, especially to the people who've mentioned Decluttering at the Speed of Life by Dana K. White. If you haven't read it yet, do it NOW!!!
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0718080602

An excess of online shopping brought one into my home, and I started reading it yesterday. I've only read the first 39 pages so far, and it's already helping.

I'd been stuck in what felt like an unproductive rut forever, but somehow I've already found myself back in the right mindset to tidy, declutter and clean. Whew. So relieved.

Even my journaling habits seem to be back on track.

Baby steps, but hey, it's movement.

Oh, and I finally looked into her website/blog for more advice, here's a link if you're interested.

https://www.aslobcomesclean.com/

Last edited by BunnyHop; 12-28-21 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added a link.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 11:10 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Anna Thanks for sharing Dana's website. It's really good!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 12:24 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
Anna Thanks for sharing Dana's website. It's really good!
Happy to share. I like her general tone and attitude. I find it very hard to maintain realistic expectations so am working to adopt her use of language.
I'm thinking these will be books I take notes on all the way through, the way I did with meditation books last year.
Old 12-30-21, 10:12 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

adawn, I hope you love the scanner as much as I do. I use it alot. To me it was worth the investment
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 01:36 PM  
DBW

Any ideas on where to donate an expensive 1990 wedding dress (not mine)? Several organizations that make them into baby dresses are no longer accepting donations and I got on a waiting list to donate to one of them. Thanks
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 09:03 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
adawn - Keep us posted on how it works for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
adawn, I hope you love the scanner as much as I do. I use it alot. To me it was worth the investment
This is the greatest scanner of all time! Not without any issues, of course, but compared to the almost $200 ultraportable single-side scanner I've been using for years, it's like a whole new world has opened up. I can take on projects I could never have attempted before.

First I would say the key (in my life and my mother's life) is to throw out most paperwork. Don't even bother scanning it. Do paperless everything as much as possible so that paper doesn't even have a chance to enter the home. Now, there are things that must be physically kept such as birth/death certificates and maybe a few other things. But most of the rest can either just be thrown out or scanned and then thrown out. JMO.

I have a few categories I've been really wanting to scan because I like to keep records for things like my car maintenance stuff. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to working on scanning my files because I decided to start with my mom's files which we've been gradually paring down through the years.

So first we spent about an hour and a half one day and about 2 hours another day going through most of her remaining files. Luckily she threw out about 60-70% of them because her judgement regarding what to keep has gotten better IMO over the years through much practice with purging/decluttering on at least a yearly basis and her own personal observations from year-to-year discovering what matters most to her/what she actually needs and wants and what is superfluous and never being referenced/used.

So I'm left to scan and recycle most of the remaining documents. There are a few folders that are designated to scan and still retain the physical paperwork for whatever reason but most are scan and recycle. I'm still working my way through the files but I've scanned a lot over the past couple of days when I've had free chunks of time.

My review of the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1600 below:

Pros:
-Super fast scanning!!!
-Touch screen works great
-Doesn't jam up hardly at all compared to my portable scanner and it's much easier to un-jam if necessary. (And the couple times it has jammed, it was definitely my fault.)
-Small footprint when it's closed up (though it does weigh 7.5lbs according to specs)
-Wifi scanning is great (meaning the scanner is connected to my computer via wifi vs. a physical USB cord)
-Same ScanSnap interface as my portable scanner
-I haven't caught any missed pages**, and I've scanned stacks of up to 29 pages so far
-The regular scanner package came with 2 product keys for Kofax Power PDF software (one key for PC and one for Macs) that so far appears easy to use and does all the things I'm used to with Adobe Acrobat X. So far I'm still using Adobe to edit the pdfs (delete/rotate pages, extracting pages, combining files, changing the order of pages, text recognition, etc.).

Cons (very minor, and perhaps unavoidable):
-Has a power cord (my portable scanner you just plug the USB into my laptop and it draws power from there)
-High price
-Can't think of any others?

Other things/issues encountered:

-Despite the software's best efforts, for various reasons the blank backs of some pages will inevitably be scanned and saved so I always check the pdfs when complete and delete the blank pages.

-The scanner will unfortunately not solve all your problems. While the scanning is super fast, it takes time to type pdf document names on the keyboard and organize the pdfs into folders on one's computer. I also have to do A LOT of work with a staple remover on some of what I'm scanning before I can scan. Additionally, some of the physical files of paperwork my mom has are a bit disorganized, so I have to organize them somewhat before I can scan and name them, depending on the file. Some files are super easy, some are a slog (a slog in comparison to how fast the scanning itself is).

-One issue: If you have a high resolution screen (my Lenovo Thinkpad apparently does), you will need to follow instructions I will copy & paste below*. I followed the instructions and solved the issue I was having.

-Install is fairly easy. It comes with a USB cable to attach to your computer. I guess if you have a PC or Mac w/o a USB port, you would have to get your own cable for install or maybe install can be done wirelessly? Firmware update took awhile.

-Another thing: To save my sanity, I had to learn to create a "profile" for the scanner that made it so that I could scan one stack of docs and then decide whether or not to keep scanning more or finish. Otherwise it would assume I was done and create a pdf after whatever was in the loading tray was scanned. It was easy enough to create the profile though once I figured out I needed one.

-I also changed it so the software wasn't asking me where to save to each time; now it just automatically creates a pdf on my desktop after I "finish" so less mouse-clicking and key strokes.

-It seems to handle every kind of document equally well--letter and envelope from 1943, business cards, ticket stubs, longer than 8.5x11 pages, all kinds of thicknesses of paper.

-**One issue encountered: One of the first docs I scanned was a 6-page knitting pattern I had printed out and made handwritten notes on. Some of my notes were in the margins. I scanned the document and happened to notice when I was double-checking the pdf created that some of my notes in the margin on one page had been cut off on one side. So I just rescanned that page and it came out correctly that time and then I deleted the page from the other pdf and added in the newly scanned page.

-There was one wedding invitation I scanned that unfolded into a pretty long document, and the scanning software didn't scan part of the very last section. It was an unimportant section but that's the only long thing it couldn't catch the end of and it was a a realllllly long document when unfolded.

*"I recently installed Scansnap Manager on my new Lenovo laptop with a high-resolution screen. The manager window displayed all scrunched up and tiny. I called customer service and they walked me through a relatively simple (but quite hidden) solution. You need to locate the .exe file for Scansnap Manager (PfuSsMon.exe) and right-click on properties. On the compatibility tab, click on the "Change high DPI settings", then check “Override hi DPI scaling behavior". Select Scaling performed by "System". If you are not technical, just call the support line, they will walk you through it."
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter