Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-10-21, 02:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi everyone - I'm not sure I've been on the thread at all but thought I would pop in. This recent post from fellow psychologist Dr. Rick Hanson has helped me think more about letting go of things:
https://www.rickhanson.net/enjoy-freedom-not-to/

I'm good at getting rid of overall clutter, but sometimes I hold onto things I don't really need to for pretty weak reasons - or maybe even for good reasons, but I don't need to do that, either.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 04:23 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks Beth for that link,

just finished listening to this audio book via the free app and free rental of The Hoarder in You by psychologist Robin Zadio, PhD.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoarder-You-H.../dp/B005TKGHQW

she is also the psychologist on the A&E series "Hoarders."

Lots of good advice about how to address the inner decision-making, with lots of examples from her clients.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 05:01 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
dumpster - i would get excited too!

things that left the house:
great condition rattan loveseat - older sister wanted it.
still working computer monitor - donated it to an e-waste drive today!
old air conditioner that got replaced - took it to a refuse lot that collects all kinds of refuse, including items that have freon in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
Anna, I thought that was a great quote too.
Can anyone instruct me on the trick to be able to add multiple quotes to a reply post? I've never figured out how to do more than one. Thanks!
One way to multi-quote--just hit the middle button with the quote mark in the bottom righthand corner of each post you want to quote. The button is just to the right of the "Quote" button. Once you press the middle button with just the apostrophe and + symbols, that button should turn red and you can hit that button for each post you want to quote from. Once you're done, I believe you can either hit the "Post Reply" button at the very bottom of the page or the "Quote" button in any of the posts in the thread.

That should bring up all the quotes on your reply screen box thing. Then I usually delete some of the quoted material because the forum software quotes people's ENTIRE posts and many times I just want to respond to something specific.

I quoted you and bzar above for example.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 08:07 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
I'm swapping summer for winter clothes. I've been pretty successful and pulling things for the thrift store and a thredup bag.
I swapped some of my clothes-the things in my dresser a few weeks ago. This was workout clothing and tops but did not get rid of much. I just swapped my shoes today and still need to go through the closet. This is the "project" I dread twice a year.
I put together a box of 8 DVDs to send to a VF member in need.

Jeanine, congrats on the new job!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 08:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Congrats, Jeannine!

My chiropractor is having their winter coat drive. I took over one coat (which I really liked but fit more snug than I want in a coat); several hats, an ear wrap and some scarves I made; plus another hat and pair of gloves. I am still debating on a Carhartt that my parents bought me in HS.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 10:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

Good for you, Vantreesta!

Thanks for the link Beth on the freedom not to...I actually think that comes easier with age, lol.

I have cleaned out my freezer slowly of frozen leftovers enough to make room for a turkey.

I'm trying to come up with a way to motivate myself to get through the schoolwork paperwork. I haven't returned to it because..the dread is high and the impact is low. It doesn't really affect daily life or storage. However, I will have to figure something out because I know it doesn't need to hang around.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 12:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have super-low motivation for preparing for my future move. Maybe because the exact move date is still up in the air. I need to do much more.

At this point, I figure I'll use the option of having the movers pack most of the stuff.

I'm feeling overwhelmed. I know I can break up chores into smaller bits, but even the smaller bits seem to be too much at the moment.

(Pardon the whining!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 12:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Alta, moves are extremely stressful! I'm not moving but am feeling overwhelmed workwise. I am trying to keep in mind that article that I posted upthread - i.e., where can I give myself permission not to? Giving yourself permission not to worry about money spent on movers could be one of yours...(((hugs))) to you as you navigate this process.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 05:56 PM  
Izzy

I also did my spring/summer to fall/winter swap out last weekend. I realized I have way more winter stuff than summer stuff or it's just bulkier. I have 3 bags to go to Goodwill and 3 coats to donate to a coat drive. I also switched out dressers. The other one in my spare room is a little bigger so I was able to get my workout clothes in a drawer. The whole project took about 3 hours but it's done. My next project is when I do Christmas decorating and I attack the bins in the basement. I have gotten rid of so much over the years but I promise myself this year I will do more.
Old 11-11-21, 06:02 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Linda!

I decided to keep the Carhartt. This is the second time I've wondered about keeping it and both times hubby said keep it, and he's not one to hold onto things like I am so I put it back in the closet. It's such a good sturdy tough coat, it's really nice to have when you never know exactly what a MN winter will be like!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter