Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-23-21, 01:59 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Uh-oh. I just checked out the Hydrow site. What package did you all buy? And the membership is $38 per month? That seems a bit steep--do you think it's worth it? I get the impression that some of you use other workout platforms, though.

Last edited by Mollie F.; 02-23-21 at 02:02 PM. Reason: had a question
Mollie F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 02:08 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all!

Molly, you've made me sort of wish for menopause. I unfortunately can't take BC pills or talk to my mom--breast cancer took her and I had it at age 40. I do feel like it might be preferable to perimenopause though, at least from your description! Garmin--I don't have a bike computer. I have this attachment for my road bike that syncs with my watch. Cheaper than a separate bike computer and allows me to do indoor workouts with my bike on a trainer! I did eventually get tired of taking my bike on and off the trainer though, and use a Schwinn IC4 spin bike now.

Allison, I struggle to hold an 11 mm pace these days. I can do pretty fast intervals at under 9 mm but only for maybe a minute, so you're awesome! I don't get the connection between the 10 miler and credit union, but ah well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

Daphne, it's interesting you say prioritizing cardio over weights works to help with weight. I did Body Beast because I felt like I'd really lost muscle, but then felt like I got really squishy without cardio. As you get older, having both plus flexibility is probably important because you lose whichever one you're not doing quickly. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Garmin attachments.

Vantreesta, I'm all for a later tri! The weather here can be unpredictable--April will likely be quite windy--but of course I have an indoor option for bike so I'm fine! Sounds like you needed that nap.

DD's wrist is still bugging her occasionally from the stress fracture she got last year, so I made an appointment with an ortho who was a gymnast. It's next Wednesday at 10 AM and a 40 minute drive. I feel mired in kid health issues lately between that and DS's busted elbow. Why are all the doctors so far away??

I had a job interview last week for a position that sounds really good. Second interview is a week from today. The pay range is pretty big and I'd want near the top of it to leave my current job. It's currently remote but would eventually be in the office, so I have to weigh that if I am offered the position.

I am absolutely loving the rowing bootcamp! Mollie, I have a Proform rower I bought locally, and subscribe to iFit, which is much cheaper than Hydrow. I mostly wanted a quiet rower that had a decent monitor. This one does sync to the app so it controls my resistance, and I can do other workouts just using the app and adjusting manually, like on my spin bike.

The bootcamps have some just rowing and some row + bodyweight work. My plan is to do two bootcamps and then one day of something else (probably Les Mills) two more bootcamps and then one day of running. I'll add in short weight workouts whenever possible.

Maybe I'm imagining it but I feel like i've slimmed down already from 2 weeks of cardio! Is that possible?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 10:21 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Popping in ....

Again! You guys know I'm always reading, learning and lurking! Just canNOT handle 2 check ins on a routine basis. YOU GUYS ROCK though!!!

Pratima: you absolutely CAN feel a difference from added cardio in 2 weeks. Good for you. I may end up doing some bike bootcamps with the rower as well. (I have the Peloton app for bootcamps, hydrow app for rowing). I have heard of some people doing that. I've also used my Elliptical for some of the same. The tread bootcamps though? I like to do on the tread. The combo of cardio and weights REALLY works well for me.

Menopause: Be careful what you wish for. I am one of those that will probably have hot flashes well into my 80s. (my mother did). Yep. Some people never have them stop. and sleep? What is sleep? I never got a lot to begin with and now? I'm lucky if I get 2-4 hours in a row. And that's usually it. So everyone's experience is very different. There are some pros though.

Mollie:
Some day I may have a Hydrow. The $38 a month is correct. I do the app with a water rower. I still get effective workouts, just not the screen readouts and swag that one gets when they have Hydrow. (I do sometimes have leaderboard envy). I pay $20 a month for the app and have all the perks, but the on screen info. I have read - but do not know first hand, you canNOT sign on to another hydrow machine and use your account, it IS hydrow machine specific. (Unlike the Peloton, you can sign on from any bike and use it). So if you have a vacation home, with a second hydrow, you need a second account. Not a bonus in my book (not that i have even a single hydrow machine OR a vacation home but still). I don't know if you can have multiple accounts on one hydrow machine. (Daphne could weigh in on this one). For the most part - I am satisfied with my water rower and the app. I use my Ipad propped up in front. And as much as I would like a hydrow rower, now is not the time. I will wait (and hope and hope and hope) that Peloton comes out with a rower (but I don't think it will happen) as I already pay for that subscription. I do NOT want 2 subscriptions at $38-$39 a month. I am satisfied (150%) with my Peloton stuff. I have no urge/need for their treadmill ... and I make it work just fine with all that I Have. I still haven't figured out my computer on the rower. And I'm ok with that. (sort of). I just row. for fun. for me. and it's made me STRONG. Or maybe that's the weights, or the peloton or the consistency. WHO KNOWS? But I'll take it. I went into a new decade this birthday and I'm as strong now if not stronger than I was 20 years ago. I'll take it. And keep moving forward.

AS for the Willpower book? made it through the first chapter with the assignment and never did it. I have to go back to it. I'm on to 2 other books right now. Ooops. this is what happens to me. Reading ADD. The one book i went back to was from years ago and I never finished it.

I do admit - I've been considering trying the Ifit trial for a little bit to try their rowing workouts. I also found a source online for LIVE (Free) zoom classes. I haven't done any yet, but some in my other groups enjoy them. Just thought I'd share:

https://www.zoomergos.com/?fbclid=Iw...jQVmY0lvhx1E2E

anyway, popping out. Carry on.
Waves to all!!!!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 10:29 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Cleda, I tend to pop in and out too, so feel free! I did a Peloton tread bootcamp (before they had bike bootcamps) with my spin bike. It didn't leave time for shoe changes so I wore regular sneakers (which was ugh) but I do think you could make it work.

The Zoom session--is ergo another name for a rower? Looks like it, and I'll have to look through those.

Today I did an iFit strength circuit with Hannah Eden. She was outside at some castle, which was pretty cool. I missed my rower! But I do feel like I can't do it every single day. I feel like I have a good balance of cardio and strength now. I still have 12 more workouts in this series, and I already found another row/strength bootcamp. The current one doesn't use weights and that one does, so it should be a good progression.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 12:40 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Mollie: Thanks for all your insight. My mom had horrible hot flashes like I do, but now she’s always freezing, so maybe there’s an end in sight in 30 years. Our librarian is Marilyn Creswell. I think she’s fresh out of her MLS program. I do work at LoC in the Copyright Office, so I’m not a librarian. But DH is one in the main reading room. He’s been there for almost 30 years; I’ve been there just over 4. We rarely would run into each other there, but now we work about 50 feet away from each other. I have a low-end rower and have been using the free trial of Apple Fitness+ I got with my watch. When I try Hydrow, I’ll be using the app version like Cleda. I studied exercise science in grad school, and the answer to if changing your workout helps with weight loss, as is the answer to most fitness questions, is “it depends.” It could for some but not for others.

Pratima: Yeah, I guess that makes no sense without context—the credit union is the team’s sponsor, so it makes sense you have to be a member to be on the team. I just wish the guy told me that from the start.

My Budget Rower: I watched the distance output, which gave me 1 meter per stroke no matter how much resistance I put on or what speed I was going. So obviously that’s not accurate. I found some stroke/distance estimation tables online, so I’ll use those to closely estimate my 2.5 miles. The monitor gives me 5-6x the calories than my Apple Watch does, so that’s way off too. It said I burned 694.7 calories in 20 minutes today. HA!

Workouts: This morning was Mobility Rx warmup and workout 2. It has this gate swing complex, which has you get from being on one knee to standing on one foot. Today I did that without having to put my hands on my leg for support, so that’s a huge improvement. Then I did floor lower body on my own. At lunch I did the 20 minute row and a 30 minute Peloton ride with Ben.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 04:30 PM  
Daphne M

I have so much to say! Can I do it briefly? Can I do it quickly? It's never been done by me before, but I will try.

Menopause - The bad - hot flashes, sleep, moods, difficult weight loss. The good - no buying tampons, no horrific "who shot mommy" scenes in a public rest room while you wonder if it's possible to put a tourniquet on your vagina. Less body hair for sure! Mine was artificially induced by meds and then a total hysterectomy, so my experience might not be the norm.

The Hydrow - Costs a MINT! It was a huge splurge for me and the one and only time I've splurged on high-end exercise equipment in my entire life. Seriously. Anyway, the budget approach to it would be to buy another rower and then do a 30-day free trial of the app. Then decide if you like it enough to pay the monthly subscription. The iFit subscription looks like the closest competition to the Hydrow app, so that's another option.

I had more to say but it's all work crisis, all the time.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 04:53 PM  
Daphne M

My next meeting got pushed back. So I'll add:

The Hydrow might cost a lot, but it has been worth every single penny for me. That's just me! Some people love cycling, I don't. I love running.
I love rowing. So definitely, YMMV.

When I bought the Hydrow, I had already rowed frequently through my membership at Orangetheory, so I knew rowing was a great workout and one that I would do. And I loved the smooth ride of the OTF water rowers and the fact that I could actually see the metrics. In contrast, I had rowed on the Concept2s at my gym and they are a fantastic piece of equipment, but for me, the Concept 2 is like eating my veggies or like doing prison time. (And I can't see the metrics without stopping and squinting and putting on reading glasses.) Effective but I felt so grim while I was doing it. Anyway, I already had a lot of information about my rowing preferences that gave me confidence that I would have zero regrets about Hydrow, which is an electro-magnetic rower. Smoother and quieter and tougher than the water rowers or the Concept 2s.

The Hydrow monitor - I feel as if I am actually outdoors working out with my buddies on a team. Beautiful scenery and real, honest athletes. No rah-rah. No sexy poses. It's about doing the workout together. You are rowing as one. It is hard to explain the experience but I love it.

Cleda - yes, a Hydrow rower can have multiple accounts on it. So when my daughter or son visit, they log into my rower by their user name and that keeps their stats and preferences separate from mine. So if you were to visit a gym or fitness center with a Hydrow, you can log into their umbrella account on the rower with your own user name. There aren't a whole lot of those out there yet, but based on the number of users I see pop up on my leaderboard, the Hydrow community is growing exponentially.

More Cleda -- BUT it is massively messed-up that, if I were to buy a 2nd Hydrow for my own home or for a 2nd home, I would have to have a 2nd subscription and different account for it. I have to believe they will address that.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 11:21 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Well gosh darn ...

Now I want the Hydrow more than Ever. . . .

I KNOW I would love it .....

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 11:36 PM  
Vantreesta

Well, Cleda, I have no doubt you would get your money's worth from it like you do your Peleton!

It's been an up and down week. I forget now why I didn't workout on Monday. Tuesday I started the 30-Day Qi gong challenge again then did Caroline Jordan's exercises for high hamstring tendonitis, ran/walked 1.972 mi for wk3 day2 of the 10k trainer, 12 Days of Crossrope day 8, a segment of Quick Fix Pilates Abs and Slim & Limber. I felt great and got housework done before breakfast and everything else. Today I didn't feel great when I got up so went back to bed for an hour. Body was better but still feel weird/off. I was hoping changing to spring wouldn't mess me up this year but I'm not so sure. Anyway, I couldn't get myself to workout this morning or do anything else. I decided I would workout after my 2:00 chiro appt, was all fired up for it and as I walked up to the house coming back from my appt I discovered our 100+ pound cement dwarf who's been sitting in front of our house for a decade was gone. Who steals a big cement statue from someone's house??? I have just been so upset about it and never did workout or do anything else. I know I should have shaken it off and moved on but i am just stuck on the fact that someone had to actually plan to steal it. It's not like you toss a hunk of cement in your backpack and walk away. It took a plan, at least two people and a vehicle and it was done while I was in the house, unless they were ballsy enough to do it while we were out walking. So that was my day. I hope I stop dwelling on it tmrw.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 12:53 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: I can’t believe someone would do that! I hope you’re feeling better today, but you have every right to be upset!

Hydrow: While I would love one, I spent the big bucks on my non-Peloton spin bike. Even used, it wasn’t cheap. DH has been using the el cheapo rower too, and we decided that if we’re still using it consistently in a year, we’ll consider an upgrade.

Workouts: This morning was BodyPump and Ben’s new Peloton :10 core. Then lunchtime was my mix and match Peloton :15 ride with Denis, :10 Fitness+ row, :10 HIIT with the ladder and box jump, and :10 heavy bag and kickbox. I set the step at 12” for the box jump (2” higher than I had been doing), and I didn’t trip once! I’m very happy about that. I feel so bad a$$ when I do this workout!

I had my check-up today, and all is well. She suggested a few different drug options for my issues or an herbal option, which I went with. I’m well aware herbal options don’t always do anything, but I’d rather try that to start, and if it doesn’t help after about 3 months, she said to call and we could discuss other options.

Now I just need to get through 3 more hours of work...
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote