Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-21, 04:47 PM  
Daphne M

Pratima - are you using iFit on a tablet or a phone? Android or iOS?
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 06:43 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
Cleda, the book is Kelly McGonigle, The Willpower Instinct. I got the Kindle version, but it's available in print, and there's an audiobook version as well. Your local library might well have a copy--there are over 70 copies in the state of Michigan available through MeLCat. Rhonda (rhbrand) got a Peloton sometime before the pandemic (the Before Times) and she said it was worth every penny.
What a hoot! I went to my library, (virtually) they don't carry it. so I went to Amazon. and low and behold (thank goodness for History) ... I have already purchased this book back in 2012 ....

Now off to download it and read it (Because obviously, I didn't!)

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 10:22 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Pratima - are you using iFit on a tablet or a phone? Android or iOS?
So far, I've used iFit on my computer, on our FireTV (bike workout), and on an iPad (syncs with my rower). The TV version seemed the easiest to navigate but syncing with my rower, it can control the resistance. I sort of wish I had an iFit-enabled bike! But not enough to buy one.

I did a 15 minute iFit row today and my THUTT was aching! I think that means I'm using my legs and glutes now?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 01:29 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: That chapstick story is funny. I always carry mine, so I guess I’m set! The 3 of us doing these winter hikes have developed a system—Cindy looks at the hard copy map or printout, Jean looks where we are on her hiking app, and I look for blazes and trail marker posts. We’ve misplaced ourselves less since we started that.

Yesterday I did a Christine power zone ride for the first time. I liked her, and it was all 80s music. Denis will always be my go-to on the power zone rides, but I’ll work her in too. Today was Body Pump and extra core work this morning and a Ben ride at lunch.

I’ll get the rower out tomorrow. I’m going to try for a little longer time on it.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 12:47 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
So far, I've used iFit on my computer, on our FireTV (bike workout), and on an iPad (syncs with my rower). The TV version seemed the easiest to navigate but syncing with my rower, it can control the resistance.
That's great that it syncs with the rower and controls the resistance. Very cool feature, Pratima. All the technology sometimes is overwhelming to me. I have to go through this whole mental process to figure things out. ("Fire TV? Do I have that? Wait I think I have a Fire stick? Is that the same thing? Is that what I bought so I could Chromecast and then there was too much buffering so I stopped using it? I know we have a Roku on one of the TVs. At least, I *think* I have a Roku. Is it Roku or ROKU?" Aaargh.)

Pratima - My thutt is where I really feel the rowing too. I think that means we're activating the right muscles. (Fingers crossed on that one.)

Vannie - I love that you "misplace" yourself. My mom was notorious for getting lost while driving and taught all three of us kids to enjoy being lost because that is the best way to discover new places. I still kind of like it, which is good because I do it a lot.

Alison - Your January numbers are so good. Look at all that riding, hiking and running in one of the toughest months of the year.

Cleda - You crack me up. Of course you already had the book! LOL.

Mollie - Is your snow drought over? Seems like everyone got pounded in the last week. Now that I'm a teleworker and don't have the angst of dealing with a commute in the snow, I really enjoy snow.

Me - The day I'd been dreading for a year finally came on Tuesday night and Nema died. She had a terrible seizure and for the first time, the injection I usually give her for those barely made a difference and we had to make some quick decisions. Of course, all our advance planning was no help at all: the veterinary hospice we'd been making advance arrangements with was closed and the emergency center nearby could not have been less helpful, so we ended up having to drive to an emergency center that was farther away. Luck was on our side in a lot of ways though: (1) Brad happened to be at the house when it all happened, and he was a rock: steady, calm and strong. And (2) the farther-away emergency center was wonderful and even allowed all four of us (Jamie met us there) to come in to spend time inside with Nema and say our goodbyes. Yes, we wore our masks and they did temp checks, etc. And (3) best of all, Nema was conscious, but so groggy after her seizure that she was not frightened of the vet center and just wanted to lay in my arms and be cuddled. So that's what happened.

Workouts and me - I've had zero motivation but my favorite Twitter fitness expert repeatedly tweets that motivation follows action, so if I wait to be motivated, I might never do anything. It turns out there's a lot of science behind the truth of "fake it til you make it."

- I signed up for Hydrow's February Commit to Fit Challenge, which looks very easy to do (3 x 10 minute workouts/weekly) and includes a badge and some kind of swag. Their swag is really nice quality, so I'm pumped for it.
They have a daily recommended workout, which I appreciate because I am in one of my rare "just tell me what to do, I don't want to think about it" cycles. And the daily workouts have turned out to be pretty great, so there's that.
Weds. - 50 minutes of rowing & 10 minutes of yoga (all Hydrow workouts)
5 minute warm-up in Charleston, SC with Sera Moon;
20 minute DRIVE in Miami with Laine;
15 minute SWEAT in Miami with Mike;
10 minute technique basics cooldown in Miami with Laine
10 minute "energizing" yoga with Channing in Martha's Vineyard

Thursday - 1.5 mile run outside & 30 minutes of rowing
Short 1.5 mile distance because most of the paths I run on still have too much ice and snow to be runnable. But the fresh air was good.
5 minute warm-up in Boston with Laine
20 minute BREATHE steady row in Miami with Mike
5 minute cooldown in Charleston with Michelle
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event

Last edited by Daphne M; 02-04-21 at 12:50 PM. Reason: formatting fix
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 01:35 PM  
Vantreesta

Daphne, I'm so sorry about Nema. My heart aches and my eyes are full of tears for you all. I'm glad you could all be there with her at the end. Sending you hugs.

Yesterday Cyric and I howled with the tornado siren and I missed Chianna so very much. Maybe she and D'Argo met Nema at the Rainbow Bridge.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 01:49 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: So sorry about Nema. It’s like she was a member of this check-in. I’m glad you all got to be at the vet with her. Sending you hugs too.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 03:04 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Daphne, I am so sorry to hear about Nema and agree that she was part of this check-in too. It does sound like you got the best of a worst situation at least, and I hope that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post

Workouts and me - I've had zero motivation but my favorite Twitter fitness expert repeatedly tweets that motivation follows action, so if I wait to be motivated, I might never do anything. It turns out there's a lot of science behind the truth of "fake it til you make it."
I absolutely agree with this. I think every struggle I've faced in my life, this has played a part in me making my way out of.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 03:04 PM  
Vantreesta

Why am I so bad about at least posting my workouts??

Mon 2/1 127 minutes
11 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 12 -7 Minute Glutes Workout for Women, YT) MON 1st time
30 minutes (from 2.034 mi for 10k trainer wk1 day3/VA British Columbia Coast Hike/Zombies Run S3M30) MON 1st time for VA
30 minutes (from 3.9 mi for Dark Horse Rowing: Rowvember day 12/IRSW Lake Altaussee, Austria) MON
11 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 18, YT) (Sadhana day 32) MON only did half--I was starving!
45 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.52 mi)

Tue 2/2 84 minutes
31 minutes (from C. Friedrich Perfect 30 High Impact HIIT) TUE
15 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 18, YT) (Sadhana day 33) MON second half
38 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.23 mi)

Wed 2/3 125 minutes
7 minutes (from 7 Minutes to Save Your Knees) WED
40 minutes (from PT exercises for pelvic stability & glute strength) WED
31 minutes (from 2.124 mi for 10k trainer wk2 day1/VA /Zombies Run S3M31) WED 1st time for VA
13 minutes (from Strong Knees stretch) WED
34 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.95 mi)

Thu 2/4
9 minutes (from L. Wyndham-Read Fitness Advent Calendar day 13 , YT) TUE 1st time YouTube wasn't working on Tue
24 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 19, YT) (Sadhana day 34) TUE 1st time YouTube wasn't working on Tue
45 minutes (from shoveling ~7" of snow and I barely made a dent)

Heading back out for round two of shoveling. I can't imagine doing this if I wasn't in somewhat decent shape!

I keep hearing the same thing about motivation as well!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 04:01 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Daphne, I'm so sorry about Nema. She was a great dog. I'm sure your house seems very quiet today.