Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-28-21, 03:54 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Allison, I feel ya on the tech issues! I'm trying to get a Common Access Card setup so I can access the .mil network. I've had this job since October and still can't use it. All kinds of messages today flying around about it and still nothing. I looked at the last phase of Beast and remembered that I'd saved the Tempo and Total Body workouts, knowing I'd need some variety. So now I can use those then and hopefully it'll get me through!

Vantreesta, 70 minutes of shoveling sounds exhausting! My parents had a pretty big drive, and it was actually uphill to a big flat area and took forever to shovel. I never want to do that again! Good to hear some positive news. Sounds like maybe you just overdid things a bit and that's bothering your knee. How does it feel now?

This morning I tried an iFit cycle workout. It was a series of hill climbs. The instructor was actually riding a road bike up a hill in Maui! Scenery was awesome. It was filmed by someone riding up behind her! Kind of funny watching her pant and gasp for air.

I am enjoying iFit! I got a discount membership card on ebay and plan to do a year subscription at least.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 02:17 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Oh, I'm still here!

I found January 6 to be pretty traumatic; I spent the next two weeks consuming almost nothing but refined carbs and refined sugar, with occasional random particles of protein. I did get the first week of Met-Rx-180 workouts done (and the DOMS after the first day was incredible--Nia Shanks doesn't do abs or core!). But the weather got rainy, then it got quite cold and windy and unpleasant, and I didn't do any cardio. Wait, I did do an oldie--Gin Miller's Best of Reebok STEP TV. Then, the day after the inauguration, I was too tired to move, or even make it through the day at work. That lasted six days. At first I assumed that it was a release of tension because there had been no violence at the inauguration, but when my ears started hurting on the fourth day, I realized I was really dealing with a sinus infection. Sudafed, acetaminophen, and rest solved that problem. I got back to work on Wednesday, with high hopes of doing a workout at noon and cooking something for dinner that night--HAHAHAHA! I barely made it through the work day and went to bed at seven. It was the same yesterday, but today I got out for a walk at lunch--a bit more than two miles (since I hadn't really moved in some time, I thought that was fine). It was lovely; although it was cloudy, the sun was peeking out and came out completely as I finished. There were two adorable puppies out for walks with their people (a springer spaniel and a malamute--I think--the malamute might just be what mushers call an Alaskan husky). I didn't realize that it was only 14F until I checked my Garmin Connect report when I got back. Good to know, because I wasn't cold once I got moving. I've been wondering how much I'd have to bundle up. I'd assumed it was in the low 20s when I headed out the door.

So I'm back and plan to just start the Met-Rx 180 weights all over again on Sunday. I'm eating more normally.

Allison, I honestly don't know how I would have dealt with my workplace being evacuated on 1/6, even if I were WFH. I'm guessing not well. The closest I've been to that is when they closed campus for a bomb scare a few years ago, and that was just weird--like a snow day, except that instead of just chilling I kept checking to see what was happening.

Daphne, the part I remember from the willpower book about what you're talking about is that when we've been working so well at a willpower challenge, we might suddenly decide that we deserve a reward. Of course we do, but we tend to reward ourselves by taking time off from our willpower challenge. I'm hoping that knowing I might do that will help in future.

Vantreesta, your watching Elf to honor your mother resonated with me. For me, it's knitting. My mother was a fabulous and creative knitter and she taught me many decades ago. When she went into assisted living, she really couldn't knit any more because she couldn't follow a pattern. I got her stash. I've decided to honor her memory this year by knitting with her yarn. I have no idea what I'll do with it yet. I hope your FIL makes a quick recovery--Please keep us posted. At the risk of sounding intrusive, what's the problem with your glute?

Pratima, you all are making me want to buy a rower--but I went through that this fall when I considered buying a treadmill. I'm not sure I can get the thing up into my workout space. I can get neighbors to help carry it up, I'm sure (there are some delightful students next door), but there's a sharp turn in the staircase, and I don't think it's wide enough. I'm sorry hear about your mother. It's hard.

Cleda, so good to see you--your workouts are impressive. You have a Peloton, too? Or do you just use the app?

Well, I have to get back to work. I've been posting during a YouTube presentation with terrible audio.
Old 01-29-21, 11:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday I never did workout. I baked two kinds of cookies and put away laundry and that was pretty much it. This morning before breakfast I did day 11 of Lucy's Fitness Advent calendar (another "HIIT") and Fightmaster yoga day 17. I had a bit of a headache I was hoping wouldn't become a migraine. By this afternoon it hurt worse but still wasn't a migraine so I decided to try working out anyway. I started with Strong Knees 7 Minutes to Save Your Knees then did 2/3 of Rowvember day 11 for 3.2 miles. I think the motion was increasing tension in my upper back and neck making my head worse so I settled on doing that much. Next was 10 minutes on the elliptical for 1.25 mile. By then I gave up hope of running and just hurriedly did Slim & Limber so I could eat and take smthg for my head. It's much better tonight but still a hint of it left. I was laughing out loud at 3rd Rock From the Sun while I was on the rower and elliptical and that felt great even if it didn't improve my headache.

We're under a winter weather advisory. They're calling for freezing drizzle and then, depending on which report you go by, anywhere from 1-8" of snow.

I don't have the mental capacity for personals right now, hoping to on Sunday or Monday, but wanted to say to Mollie I'm happy to see you back and sorry it's been such a hard month for you!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 05:51 PM  
Daphne M

Quickies

Mollie - Phew, so glad you're still there. Sinus infections sound awful. Do you get them often? My theory is that the people who get sinus infections usually don't get bronchitis and vice versa. I am right there with you on the emotional toll of January's events. Awful. Thanks for concisely summing up why people often sabotage achieving their goals right at the end. The reason in the book is actually NOT what drives me, but it did help me figure out a little better what actually is going on in my head. That's a story for another day.

Pratima - Ooh, the iFit scenery on those runs and rides appeals to me. The only thing holding me back from signing up for a free trial is that I don't like to have too many options. Sometimes that's overwhelming for me. I hope Beast is keeping you motivated. I've only ever stuck with a planned rotation once in all my 25+ years of DVDidiocy. (Chalean Extreme)

Vannie - I am on #TeamSnow -- love it. But hate hate hate freezing rain, ice, etc. The finger numbness could be related to gripping the rower handles too tightly. I have some arthritis problems with my thumbs/hands and wear my strength training gloves to keep my grip some slipping and thus squeezing too tightly. Some people wrap the handles with tennis racket tape, etc.

Alison - The number of Peloton instructors has grown so much, (I don't remember Sam?) but they all seem to do cycling. Not as much variety in the tread instructors. (iFit is really tempting me!) I love Prince William Forest but cannot find my way there at all despite running, hiking and cycling there for at least 20 years.

Me - I finished my Backyard Burn Outdoor Challenge this morning. I lucked out that there were only two mornings that were too icy for me to try to navigate outside. Those days I hit the treadmill and the rower instead. This morning it was snowy but walkable. I walked 1.25 miles very carefully in the snow and my pace was so slow (26 minute/mile) that when I uploaded my results, the app asked me to doublecheck that that was my actual pace, LOL.

I'm still hitting the Hydrow almost every day too. It's a love match. My form and efficiency keep (slightly) improving although the process is not easy. The hardest rows are the slow ones -- there is no momentum so you have to generate so much more power to move. I even did a live row this week. I've only done that twice before and both times found myself sucked in and rowing like a bat out of hell. This time, I am proud that I stuck to my own row, matched with (my beloved) Nick's rhythm and did okay. The winter rows are from Miami and they are fun - palm trees, bright colors, lots of boats. I've even come to recognize the one house on Indian Creek with the white dog that always comes running down to the fence to watch the boat go by.

Oops, get summoned. Gotta run!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 06:29 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

A little of this and that

Mollie: I do, indeed have a Peloton and Love it. I'm always chasing badges, doing the workouts, using the features, etc, etc. I am on a 109 week streak and still going at it!!! Nancy convinced me I need it, would love it and boy was she right.

Always looking for new reads - could you share the name of the Willpower book? Thanks in advance.

Allison: I love Sam (Yo)! He's so laid back (used to be a monk) but effective. His calm presence is wonderful. I do one of his cool down rides all the time.

Someone else mentioned Ifit trial to me. But like Daphne, I get overwhelmed when the choices are many!

As for numb and tingley fingers while rowing? They say to keep your grip loose and pretend you're playing the piano. So often .... I'll play a little tune while holding the handle!

back to lurking.
Cleda

PS ... Edited to add: I had this all typed out and submitted yesterday (with probably more detail) and I kept getting the "500 Error" so It never got posted!!!!
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 08:47 AM  
Vantreesta

My fingers aren't actually numb while rowing, just in general. My middle finger went numb after lifting weights and then all were numb after shredding a roast (they were fine later that night except for the original middle finger). My dad and all his siblings have or have had carpal tunnel syndrome and I'm sure that's probably what's going on for me, a tendency toward it at least. I had wrist problems when I was still working that were most likely CTS symptoms. Anyway, I will still double check that I'm not gripping too tightly when doing things. Thanks.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-01-21, 08:48 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Trying to be a better community member here .

Cleda, the book is Kelly McGonigle, The Willpower Instinct. I got the Kindle version, but it's available in print, and there's an audiobook version as well. Your local library might well have a copy--there are over 70 copies in the state of Michigan available through MeLCat. Rhonda (rhbrand) got a Peloton sometime before the pandemic (the Before Times) and she said it was worth every penny.

Vantreesta, I hate those headaches where you know they want to be a migraine but aren't yet. And sometimes working out helps, and sometimes it doesn't. I also think that 3rd Rock from the Sun is hysterical.

Daphne, I used to get more sinus infections and bronchitis before I got my allergies under control. It had been long enough since I'd had a sinus infection that I didn't recognize it. The willpower book also talks about the relationship between process and commitment, and I really can't explain that concisely. I do plan to reread the book and try to work through it as if I were taking the course, but that might be too much of a willpower challenge all by itself.

Didn't do any workouts all weekend, and halfheartedly berated myself for it last night. But then I got up this morning and realized that I wasn't aware of my ear canals for the first time in about ten days, and figured I needed the rest. I have trouble with the difference between self-care and self-indulgence.

I see that DC got snow--we're going through a "snow drought," according to some. The cross-country skiers are whining.
Old 02-01-21, 09:35 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Random responses:

We got snow in DC, but at least where I live, it was just a couple of inches and then ice. Now the streets are covered in brown sand, and it it’s just ugly. The trees are pretty, so I try to focus on that when I look out the window.

Last week I did all planned workouts, except I did bike rides instead of both runs.

In January, I biked 165.2 miles (all on the spin bike), ran 13.85, and hiked 6.89. While, as Daphne said, the weather wasn’t bad, I was pouty about it a few times and stayed in vs. going outside.

I love Sam’s rides for all the reasons Cleda mentioned. I can’t handle the over-the-top flashy instructors anymore, and I really really really dislike the ones who focus on how “I know you want to give up but you need to be strong and do it.” I don’t want to give up. This is my favorite part of the day. And if I can’t do it today, that’s okay. I’ll feel better tomorrow. I understand that some people do thrive with that type of motivation, but it’s not for me.

I did Art of Strength Providence kettlebells on Saturday for the first time in forever. What a tough workout! It’s always been my favorite kettlebell workout by far, so I’m keeping it in the rotation.

Daphne: We have gotten lost/misguided every time in PW Forest except this last time. Our hikes there always end up being so much longer than planned because of it. One super hot day we ended up doing 11 instead of 6 miles, and we all ran out of water (and I bring a lot). But we keep going back for more. This last time we did a pretty basic out-and-back on only 2 different trails, so it was easier to follow.

T
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 10:57 AM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
I can’t handle the over-the-top flashy instructors anymore, and I really really really dislike the ones who focus on how “I know you want to give up but you need to be strong and do it.” I don’t want to give up. This is my favorite part of the day. And if I can’t do it today, that’s okay. I’ll feel better tomorrow. I understand that some people do thrive with that type of motivation, but it’s not for me.
Same. Like the people who tell you not to quit at mile 24 of the marathon. Seriously? I don't mind the occasional words of encouragement, but I've gotten a little weary of too much rah rah. Surely the instructors are getting sick of it too?

Alison part 2
- I once was on a snowy day trail run in Prince William with a group that wasn't sure we were still on the right trail. We joked about turning our chapstick into a meal if we got lost out there for too long. We still all joke about our lucky chapstick.

Rest day for me -- too much drama carrying my 60+ pound dog around on the ice all morning. Thank goodness I have spikes on my shoes.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 11:17 AM  
Vantreesta

I never get lost. I just misplace myself.