Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-19, 12:30 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

We live in such a sin sick world that we are always judging someone. I had and have prayed I stop this. I think it’s unhealthy thoughts. I’m sorry I let my thoughts get me to post in this thread. You’re right Susan, what does it matter? If they are healthy that is more important then my thoughts on their outward appearance.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
Old 09-17-19, 12:31 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
But I also have to say that Al Roker is the perfect example of what I was talking about with perception. He is still a big man, not wasting away, and he now runs marathons and feels better. He was morbidly obese and every day he now chooses not to be, which is his journey, so really it doesn’t matter how anyone thinks he looks but how he thinks he looks and feels. But I think he looks great and younger than his age.
I also think Al Roker looks great, and I wonder if tytbody has the perception that he looks older is because he IS older -- he lost the weight quite a while ago, right? So the photos being compared probably have him at fairly different ages.

I also think it should be about health. H_Lo, I'm so sorry you had that reaction to this thread -- you should be so proud of yourself, feel so great and healthy!!
Old 09-17-19, 12:38 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Lo View Post
As someone who has lost 120 pounds, it depressed me opening up this thread. I have to look in the mirror every day and try not to let my loose skin get to me. I was at my heaviest weight after the birth of my son almost 6 years ago. I lost 80 pounds the first year, then 20 the next year and then another 20 pounds the third year. I was in my late thirties and did this through eating better and exercise. I was exclusively doing The Firm (Benson era) for the first year then after first year it was 90% or more of doing The Firm. Unfortunately, you can only tone and firm up so much after a big weight loss. I know a lot of it has to do with genetics and not just age. It's been really hard for me having to lose all that weight only to be left with loose skin.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
Old 09-17-19, 01:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I had to google al roker to recall who he was compared to before. he looks great!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-17-19, 01:22 PM  
H_Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I also think it should be about health. H_Lo, I'm so sorry you had that reaction to this thread -- you should be so proud of yourself, feel so great and healthy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post

Thank you! You guys brought tears to my eyes with your kindness!!!
Old 09-17-19, 01:34 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
As someone who has lost 120 pounds, it depressed me opening up this thread. I have to look in the mirror every day and try not to let my loose skin get to me. I was at my heaviest weight after the birth of my son almost 6 years ago. I lost 80 pounds the first year, then 20 the next year and then another 20 pounds the third year. I was in my late thirties and did this through eating better and exercise. I was exclusively doing The Firm (Benson era) for the first year then after first year it was 90% or more of doing The Firm. Unfortunately, you can only tone and firm up so much after a big weight loss. I know a lot of it has to do with genetics and not just age. It's been really hard for me having to lose all that weight only to be left with loose skin.
Don't look at your loose skin, just concentrate on how you feel. I bet you feel a lot better now, are healthier, and have more fun, considering you have at least one hobby to look forward to (exercising! ) Congratulations!

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Old 09-17-19, 02:04 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I don't think, personally, that what I think of anyone's appearance should matter one whit to them. Whether they gain or lose weight, their appearance will change, and whether that change is for the better or for the worse is a matter of opinion. And mine is not important.

If they are HEALTHIER, who cares what they look like? They are living IN that body; they know what it feels like.

(Of course, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose weight. Not everyone who loses weight does so in a balanced, healthy, and maintainable way.)
This! Who am I to judge somebody else's aesthetics? Looks are subjective anyway.

Like, sure John Goodman (the actor) might have a few more wrinkles since he's lost weight, but he's possibly added another decade to this life, and I'm sure he feels much better. That's what really matters.

Quote:
Please do not let anybody get you down! You have done an AMAZING job losing weight and I'm sure you are MUCH vibrant and healthier now. Trust and believe that most people are only seeing the fruits of your accomplishments, and not the excess skin (I know we are our own worst critics; it's hard to quiet those negative thoughts sometimes).
Old 09-17-19, 02:23 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Congratulations on your weight loss! So few are able to achieve what you have achieved! I’m sorry that this thread made you feel depressed.
Quote:
I don't think, personally, that what I think of anyone's appearance should matter one whit to them. Whether they gain or lose weight, their appearance will change, and whether that change is for the better or for the worse is a matter of opinion. And mine is not important.

If they are HEALTHIER, who cares what they look like? They are living IN that body; they know what it feels like.

(Of course, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose weight. Not everyone who loses weight does so in a balanced, healthy, and maintainable way.)
Well said!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 09-17-19, 03:58 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

Quote:

Agree! For most people, purposely losing excess fat (not vanity pounds) is a good thing. They shouldn't have to wonder if people are judging them by their looks after they've worked so hard to get healthy.

Donna
Old 09-17-19, 06:23 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
You have a son You accomplished so much and you improved your chances of being there for him---both in quality and quantity of life. You can go places and do things that were out of reach until you persevered. Celebrate the strength in your muscles & lungs and ignore the negative stuff. The modern world and its social media can be full of CR*P. It will tell you that you're too fat, too skinny, too smooth, too wrinkly, too bulky etc whatever. There will always be some complaint or criticism out there. So don't take advice from that crowd! Decide what thoughts make you HAPPY and don't give up one golden moment of your life to shallow observers. You have plenty of power and it all starts with keeping them out of your head and helpless

Big congratulations to you

Tags
weight loss