Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-11, 12:32 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Between the two, Kathy Smith.

But I actually think Karen Voight was more influential, particularly through the studio she used to have. That's where Keli Roberts (sp?) got her start, and where Spinning was piloted. It's also where, if I read correctly, Baron Baptiste gathered a following. And I bet I'm missing something.

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 12:34 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09(b) View Post
If 'the most advanced' is something laudable, then 'the most beginnerish' is, too. They're all valid market segments. Complicated step is a taste thing that even most of us here never enjoyed, even when step was in. Cathe's strength is admirable. I'm not sure if it's influential to the industry.
That is an excellent point! Realistically, the instructors producing the "most beginnnerish" (a new term to add to the VF lexicon ) videos would probably have more influence on the fitness industry as a whole, than the "most advanced" instructors would, because they are the instructors who continually bring new people into the fold. New exercisers may or may not ever reach a level where they're doing Cathe's workouts, but they can and do buy lots of the videos, equipment, and fitness gadgets that keep the manufacturers and video producers in business. Without those beginners, there would be no advanced niche. We were all beginners at one time, and the instructors that got us interested in fitness and motivated us to keep going and get into shape, were probably the people who were most influential to us as exercisers.

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 12:38 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnk View Post
But I actually think Karen Voight was more influential, particularly through the studio she used to have.

Deb
I don't know the details of Karen Voight's influence on the industry, but I used to love her workouts -- and I still remember buying her book, looking at the photos, and being absolutely in awe of her figure. (I was one of the people who was disappointed when she got the implants, not because I have anything against them, but because I thought Karen was already so perfect that I hated the thought that perhaps she didn't realize it.)

She still looks absolutely incredible.

Susan
Old 03-05-11, 12:39 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I am grateful to the men who have posted at VF over the years, and have enlightened me in their own unique ways .

Yes, absolutely.

Susan
Old 03-05-11, 12:52 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I don't know the details of Karen Voight's influence on the industry, but I used to love her workouts -- and I still remember buying her book, looking at the photos, and being absolutely in awe of her figure. (I was one of the people who was disappointed when she got the implants, not because I have anything against them, but because I thought Karen was already so perfect that I hated the thought that perhaps she didn't realize it.)

She still looks absolutely incredible.

Susan
Me, too. I have always been impressed with Karen Voight. I've been disappointed when instructors like Karen V. and Cathe F. have gotten implants because it sends the message that even if a woman is fit, her body needs to be changed to fit an artificial, societal standard.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 01:02 PM  
Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
I think we agree, mostly--I think that the difference is that in this environment more women are comfortable speaking up and won't allow themselves to be bullied or condescended to.
Absolutely. And of course every person of every gender makes valuable contributions when they express themselves "in their own unique ways" .
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 01:03 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hej View Post
absolutely. And of course every person of every gender makes valuable contributions when they express themselves "in their own unique ways" .
Gotta love those "unique ways."
Old 03-05-11, 01:05 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
I've been disappointed when instructors like Karen V. and Cathe F. have gotten implants because it sends the message that even if a woman is fit, her body needs to be changed to fit an artificial, societal standard.
I agree. The fitness model or exercise guru with implants is creating a largely impossible standard for other women; if a woman turns herself into a real hard-body, it's only natural that her breast size will decrease.
Old 03-05-11, 01:14 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Me, too. I have always been impressed with Karen Voight. I've been disappointed when instructors like Karen V. and Cathe F. have gotten implants because it sends the message that even if a woman is fit, her body needs to be changed to fit an artificial, societal standard.
Wow, I never would have guessed that Cathe F. has implants.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 01:20 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej View Post
Well, although forum technology removes the in-person dimension, (I'm very sad to say) I have to disagree with the idea that it removes the gender issues. I find some men who enter into mostly-female online communities resent being disagreed with (by women invariably) and have a hard time accepting that disagreers might have different experiences and perceptions of the world which can't be reasoned, bullied, or condascended away. They don't realize that it's their manner and the opinions they express that others disagree with. Unfortunately this results in accusations of "man bashing" when the deference and automatic agreement they expect don't seem to be forthcoming. On the internet as everywhere else, "Men who explain" are live and well:

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174918
Chez RedPanda, we call that kind of behaviour "mansplaining".

Tags
advanced step, advanced workouts, cathe, cathe friedrich, fitness industry, kathy smith, marketing, video history