Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-19, 11:31 AM  
Fidget Queen

I'd also recommend Eccentrics TV to see. Fair warning: I always end up buying the sets.

If it helps you any - Classical Stretch is the thing both me and my mom have done most consistently over the last few years. We each go through the seasons in order (usually) and while we each try to do one every day, it probably averages out to 2-3x per week. But it might be the best video investment I've ever made (and I've made a ton).

It's not everyone's cup of tea. And I'll also be honest - I started out with... was it Season 4?... many, many years ago. I'd say almost 20. And while I liked it, it took a long time for me to "get it". It's only been in the last handful of years that I cared to do it.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 12:20 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I began collecting CS a long time ago, so bought everything gradually over time as they were released or during a sale. Much of the time I'd buy three at a time to get the free shipping (buying some for friends or family members, too.)

Nowadays, if I were starting from scratch, I'd stream. There are so many good instructors, besides Miranda. And, Miranda is a bit quirky so not to everyone's taste, if you're new to CS. And, the big question is where to begin.

Luckily, CS aired in two of the states I'd previously lived in until now, and that was a good way to try the Seasons before purchasing. But, as a vidiot and fan of CS/Essentrics I had to have them all. Now, they are not releasing everything to DVD, so streaming really is best. And, I have not found them in libraries (unfortunately) but maybe that has changed over the years.

I will say that when I began, it wasn't instant because I thought I was too young for CS or that it was too easy. There were a few DVDs that sat on my shelves untouched or tried only a few times before moving on to "harder" workouts. It was later that I really appreciated the style of CS, it's slow and gentle movement that stretched and strengthened, too! So, just know that it might not click today, but down the road it very well could.

I'm happy to be able to do this type of exercise (hopefully) long into my advancing years! And, it has been wonderful to turn to during times of stress or injury but also to mix in with my other workouts, since episodes are only 23 minutes.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 02:36 PM  
Izzy

I own all seasons except 11 and 12. In addition I have most of what they have put out in DVD's. I also stream but that is only so I have access to the newer material. I personally prefer the DVD's.

I want to add this to the discussion. After my knee replacement surgery I did mostly the seasons 11 and 12 and the Aging Backwards/Connective Tissue workouts. These were good for me for my rehab and limited range of motion. They are also very instructive. But over time I found the instructions slowing down the workout as I felt I didn't need that instruction over and over again. This would be the one drawback of getting these workouts. The instruction is great, the information is great but once you get it, you no longer need it. This is where the Etv comes in handy. If I were a beginner, I would do Etv and do the recommended beginner workouts (they are listed on the website). But once I understood the materials, the what, why etc etc, then I probably would not do them anymore.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 02:50 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Izzy (Mary) made such an excellent point, and I so agree! I've been dealing with frozen shoulder for at least a year now and while the slower, connective tissue, instructional/beginner episodes have been good (most often) I want something that moves at a bit faster pace, even with my limited range of motion. But they have been a very good go-to with my type of injury, so I have them in my collection also but they are not a must have. I often do the seasonal episodes that address my problem areas at any given time....PF, FS, etc.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 05:56 PM  
DCW

Hi!

I don't stream and have most of the dvds. Have you looked on the Essentrics website? There are some sample videos on their video tab. Check those out and see if you click with them. The sample videos are also on YouTube.

Today starting out I would stream for a month.

Keep us posted.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 08:07 PM  
bjones

I did the one month streaming and it was helpful to make my purchases. The thing is, Miranda (who does the CS episodes) repeats herself a lot and it can drive you crazy. So you really need to make sure you like her. Also she doesn't reliably count and you can end up doing 3 minutes on your right leg and 1 minute on your left. The Essentrics are imho better produced and balanced well between right and left. I enjoy the instruction because for me, I always need reminders to watch my form. I don't need to hear Miranda's chatter.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 09:53 PM  
BunnyHop

I like doing CS very first thing in the morning. One episode at a time, before I wake up. That way I'm not awake enough to talk myself out of it and Miranda doesn't bug me.

As a total newbie, I guess you need to think about what you want, and how you want to get there. What's your fitness level?

The website is a great resource in figuring out what to try when you're a beginner. Scroll to the bottom of the page and there are some selection options that may be helpful. The basic question is, what sort of beginner are you? They can help.

https://www.essentrics.com/Beginners.html

Another way to approach it is to think what style of instruction you want.

Miranda's style in Classical Stretch episodes is breezy and chatty, and sometimes she can drive you crazy. Her counting is sometimes unreliable. Sometimes she's just hilarious, other's she's friendly and supportive. Sometimes she babbles.
Mostly, she distracts me from noticing the passage of time as I work out.

The general production values gradually get better as the seasons progress, and some of her understanding of what she's doing and WHY has changed. That informs what you do, and how much benefit you can get from it. Season 4 ? Production values aren't great. Season 5 is OOP and hard to find. Everything else? Her style gradually shifts, and her ability to keep track of counts gets somewhat better. And I think she gradually does less ab work. (You're working your abs, just not with loads of sit ups.)

I love Season 8. When my first disc in that set broke (my own fault) I had to get another one. Had to.

Sahra's Essentrics workouts are more straightforward, leading you through each move with careful instruction.
Some days this is exactly what I need, and I do think her instruction is excellent. Good form, good pointers. On the other hand, she doesn't have as many workouts, and I love the variety of the seasons.

The Back Pain relief dvd has been a life saver for me. I love that you can use it while you have pain, to gently work your way out of pain.
Old 05-02-19, 11:31 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Aside from checking out what's available on YouTube, you could also hit up the local library -- you might have luck there!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 03:28 AM  
IceQueen07

Thanks everyone for all of your replies. They are very helpful. I am not a beginner in terms of working out. My flexibility is not great and borders on really bad and I seem to really neglect it and that has caused problems and pain. I think the suggestions for trying out a month of streaming is what I will need to do. Some days I really can't handle chatty instructors, but I also need instruction and reminders of form when I am first learning the moves. I checked my library and they don't carry and my local PBS doesn't have, so streaming is probably best at first. Also a very kind VFer offered a dvd for sase, which is great.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 05:08 AM  
IceQueen07

I haven't signed up for streaming yet as I am leaving for vacation in a week. But have done the you tube one that I found and I am really enjoying it and Miranda's talking doesn't bother me. Hubby just said I can order a set for mother's day if I want and want to get one before he changes his mind (lol). If you could only buy one season, which would it be? I'm not a beginner exercisers, just beginner to this type of workout and not real flexible at the moment.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stetch, classical stretch seasons