Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-17, 03:48 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelle View Post
I know there are mixed feelings about these, but there's free shipping on domestic orders through the 27th and the Free Trial period is extended to a month for sign ups through the 27th as well. No code needed.

I'm not a fan of the thigh gap talk but curious about the method and giving the trial a try.
My only hesitation on the free trial is that cc details are required. Why if it's free?
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 03:50 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
No offense intended to you. Please let us know what results you get. I admit, I don’t care for him, the content on his website or on what I saw on Instagram. That said, I am curious if the workouts build functional strength, as he claims (I.e., help you avoid injuries).
I am getting results. I’m extremely happy. My butt is smaller, more lifted & tighter. I’m gett some inner thigh definition as well. I couldn’t be happier. These workouts are intense but not draining. I love it

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 03:54 PM  
Maybelle

I think because the trial is free with a subscription (but you can always cancel before the end of the month, making it effectively free.) I've seen other streaming services do this too and maybe it's to benefit from those who forget to cancel or to avoid disruption of service for those continuing and not have to send out a reminder to add payment if you want to continue. Maybe someone else has more ideas...
Maybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 04:39 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
Amen on both points. I'm curious about this style, and I certainly would love to give these workouts a try, but he is NOT as body positive as Hamelin and that's a turn off for me for sure. I wish he would tone down the pro-ana marketing and focus on something more empowering.
And I already don't even find Hamelin as body-positive as I prefer.

I went to P.'s blog, and one of the most recent entries (to which I'll not be linking here) begins, "Those who know me and who come to my classes [...] have heard me say that 98 percent of the exercises commonly done by women are the exact opposite of what they should be doing." You've probably already heard the same from other instructors, women as well as men: Good Girls Don't Lift Heavy--or go to spin classes or CrossFit--lest they become "bulky" and lose the power to win the approval of instructors who rarely see a woman's body that they like.

[Edited to add: even though recently some VFers haven't been following this part, VF guidelines discourage criticizing the physiques of instructors or background exercisers. I am happy to oblige and only expect the same treatment in return. ]
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 05:38 PM  
hotncmom

I signed up for the trial and have done about 3 workouts so far. I really wanted to find something new and fun to slim my thighs (which have an extra layer of fat due to perimenopause), and I was hoping that I would "get" Blitzmatics (which I never felt did much of anything - I prefer Thighmatics).

And I honestly can't see what the big deal is. It's slower than most workouts. You don't go deep into squats (which he claims recruits the butt more). There are some torquing motions which I'm not sure are totally safe for the back. Floorwork is floorwork and there's more interesting versions of it with other instructors. The ball is probably useful if I had one (tried to do it with a regular Pilates ball but it doesn't quite work). But I don't see anything that would give better results (and by results, I mean his standards, which are apparently thighs so thin they don't touch and no visible muscle tone in the arms).

I don't like him. At all. He's robotic and no fun at all. And I may not have a thigh gap, but my butt is round and curvy unlike his model/wife, and I like it that way. I suspect she's an ectomorph with long limbs who would look like that unless she did some heavy weights. If she's the ultimate example, and if his workouts are supposed to deliver that type of body, this is not for me. I'd love thinner thighs (but not that thin), but there are tons of other workouts I'd rather do with better instructors.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 02:32 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
My only hesitation on the free trial is that cc details are required. Why if it's free?
He accepts PayPal.

If you use PayPal for subscriptions you can block future payments go to "Profile" tab and then select "Recurring Payments" and the "Preapproved Payments" link. Then remove the sellers item. If there is a "Apply" or "Submit" button on the page, be sure and click on it to make sure the change is recorded.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 05:46 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I signed up for the trial and have done about 3 workouts so far. I really wanted to find something new and fun to slim my thighs (which have an extra layer of fat due to perimenopause), and I was hoping that I would "get" Blitzmatics (which I never felt did much of anything - I prefer Thighmatics).

And I honestly can't see what the big deal is. It's slower than most workouts. You don't go deep into squats (which he claims recruits the butt more). There are some torquing motions which I'm not sure are totally safe for the back. Floorwork is floorwork and there's more interesting versions of it with other instructors. The ball is probably useful if I had one (tried to do it with a regular Pilates ball but it doesn't quite work). But I don't see anything that would give better results (and by results, I mean his standards, which are apparently thighs so thin they don't touch and no visible muscle tone in the arms).

I don't like him. At all. He's robotic and no fun at all. And I may not have a thigh gap, but my butt is round and curvy unlike his model/wife, and I like it that way. I suspect she's an ectomorph with long limbs who would look like that unless she did some heavy weights. If she's the ultimate example, and if his workouts are supposed to deliver that type of body, this is not for me. I'd love thinner thighs (but not that thin), but there are tons of other workouts I'd rather do with better instructors.
I did my sixth P.volve workout this morning and I think I am hooked. I like the slowness and I like that I feel like I've worked hard without being worn out. I think I actually already notice a difference in my butt, which seems crazy, but I have dimples showing back there (is that a good thing? it's not cellulite dimples! ) that I didn't have a week ago. I'm not looking to get a thigh gap -- mostly I tried it thinking it would help me with Hamelin's Deep Muscle and Blitz workouts, but I'm really enjoying it. I don't find him robotic. I work out very first thing in the morning, so I can't handle a lot of whooping energy -- he definitely fits in fine for that. He does not seem to be very good at elementary counting, but fortunately he does seem to remember what he did on each side and at least does the same movements on each side.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 06:23 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I did my sixth P.volve workout this morning and I think I am hooked. I like the slowness and I like that I feel like I've worked hard without being worn out. I think I actually already notice a difference in my butt, which seems crazy, but I have dimples showing back there (is that a good thing? it's not cellulite dimples! ) that I didn't have a week ago. I'm not looking to get a thigh gap -- mostly I tried it thinking it would help me with Hamelin's Deep Muscle and Blitz workouts, but I'm really enjoying it. I don't find him robotic. I work out very first thing in the morning, so I can't handle a lot of whooping energy -- he definitely fits in fine for that. He does not seem to be very good at elementary counting, but fortunately he does seem to remember what he did on each side and at least does the same movements on each side.
I'm glad you're enjoying it and seeing results! It's so funny how we all have different preferences for what we love in a workout and instructor.

I've been doing ART Method as my primary workout for about a month and I'm loving it and getting results. I can zip up skirts and pants that were too tight before. I have, however, made some diet changes as well, but I'm just thrilled that I've been able to be consistent even with going back to work full-time at the beginning of the month. I think the variety is what is keeping me going.

Do you find the P.volve workouts repetitive? I previewed most of the others and they all seemed kinda the same to me.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 10:46 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
He accepts PayPal.

If you use PayPal for subscriptions you can block future payments go to "Profile" tab and then select "Recurring Payments" and the "Preapproved Payments" link. Then remove the sellers item. If there is a "Apply" or "Submit" button on the page, be sure and click on it to make sure the change is recorded.
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into this
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 02:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying it and seeing results! It's so funny how we all have different preferences for what we love in a workout and instructor.

I've been doing ART Method as my primary workout for about a month and I'm loving it and getting results. I can zip up skirts and pants that were too tight before. I have, however, made some diet changes as well, but I'm just thrilled that I've been able to be consistent even with going back to work full-time at the beginning of the month. I think the variety is what is keeping me going.

Do you find the P.volve workouts repetitive? I previewed most of the others and they all seemed kinda the same to me.
I think they have the potential to feel repetitive but right now there's enough subtle variety in the moves for me to be curious about the next set of moves and all. I think this is the kind of workout where you have to keep doing it consistently or any results will disappear fast and I'm honestly not sure if I could do this "forever". I'm coming off of a year of PBL work -- not exclusively, but definitely a staple. I haven't gotten bored with her because she is always releasing new workouts and she does have a way of coming up with fresh feeling material, but..... I just feel like I want something else for a while.

Ah, I do remember some threads where you talked about ART. Funny enough ART is something I always felt like I should like, but could never really get into it. Yes, we are all lucky to have options!!! And congrats on your results!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitball, hdm, p.volve, thighmatics